• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Snapshot ready to go

Started by Johnboy, November 05, 2008, 11:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Another one ready to go home? Also note that the border is not showing in the restoration because the clean up on it is allowing it to blend with the page white.

original

restoration

Johnboy

Hannie

Hi Johnboy,

Looks good, ( I can clearly see the white border  :D ) if you like you can move the gamma slider a little to the left in a levels adjustment layer.  That will bring out a little more detail in the tree and shrub without making the subjects to blown out.

Great job!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Nice one, JB.  The gentleman looks somewhat familiar.  Have I seen him recently?

I notice a lot of these old snapshots are a bit fuzzy, and I know that we're not supposed to do any sharpening, but something that I've found brings the subjects into focus just a bit more is to use the high pass filter on a duplicate layer above the final. If you go under filter-other-high pass (toward the bottom of the pull-down menu), you'll get a really ugly grayish layer with the edges evident (they're more obvious as you raise the value).  A low number will bring out the edges just enough that when you set the high-pass layer to overlay there appears to be a little more focus. Makes a huge difference in some cases without being obvious.  Thank you, Scott Kelby!

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Good night JohnBoy!!   Always wanted to say that........ very good job!

Johnboy

Thanks for the suggestions Hannie and Glenna I'll work on those later. Yes Glenna you have seen this gentleman before. He was the subject of an earlier post a few days ago.

Candice I thought of your comment when I picked the user name. That was a good TV show. I have a hard time thinking up user names and new passwords. At least ones I can remember. I read in the newspaper some time back about using the first letter of words in a song lyrics for passwords. But then you have to remember what the song title was that you used.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, both of your restores of this gentleman look great and probably better than the original!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Margie.

I have added the levels adjustment layer as per Hannie's suggestion and the high pass filter as per Glenna's suggestion. I must admit it does make it look better. Hannie, I didn't do quite as much shift in the midtone slider as you did but it was enough to make a difference. Let me know what you think.

Johnboy

Hannie

Johnboy, great results!  Glenna's high pass filter made all the difference, gave it a little more edge without that ugly USM (unsharp mask) look.

Very good job.  :up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Hannie. This one and the earlier one will be on there way home.

johnboy

ditto1118

Your restoration looks great! They look so happy, they'll be thrilled to have this photo restored  :)