• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

first retouch - skin issues

Started by fotovult, July 09, 2007, 04:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fotovult

Having a bit of trouble with the woman's hand, fingers specifically. I think at 8x10 it will reproduce pretty well, how deep do you guys go with this sort of thing?
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Dave

Chris,

Your work on the people is great. My only criticisms would be that the background needs to be less of a pure black. It stands out way too much against the faded quality of the subjects. Also, there's too much of a "cloned" pattern look to the man's suit.

Cheers to you for such a great job removing the damage.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum!  You've got a great start on this one, but I do agree with Dave that a softer background would be more appropriate.  I noticed that in the lower right there's an interesting pattern on the floor.  Perhaps you could play off the colors  on the floor to make a VERY subtle gradient with the purples (blue?).  That would also be a wonderful complement to the woman's peach dress.

I think the front of her dress needs some smoothing, as does the man's face and suit.  I can see the texture you had to battle with, but just a little less spotchiness would help.  Her face looks really good, and you did a fine job on both their hair.  As I look at the colors, his hair appears a bit blue.  Even though it's faded, the color in the original looks more natural.  Perhaps a little color adjustment and slight desaturation would do the trick.

As for her hands, I think your main challenge is the shading.  All I can suggest is try to match what's in the original (I'd make a separate layer and paint with a small brush at very low opacity, using the original as a template).  It isn't really clear in the low-res version, but do I see a wedding ring on her finger?  It's very faint, so it could be damage.

The only other thing I see is a small splotch of white at the back of her hair.

It's my job (self-appointed) to pick, but you've got the bulk of the restoration done.  A few refinements and it'll be ready to go home. 

I'm so glad you're with us!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Quote from: glennab on July 09, 2007, 09:43:53 PM
It's my job (self-appointed) to pick,

I thank you for pointing out the obvious (and not so obvious) that I can't see myself after immersing in the picture for hours.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

fotovult

sweet thanks guys - appreciate all the feedback and happy to be on board.
chris