• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

background opinions

Started by Cheri, May 29, 2013, 03:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheri

I've just started a new picture and I would like your opinions on the background.  Here's the picture

I've color corrected it and the wall on the left seems to be the original color.  Do you think the wall more to the right is the lighting or damage to the photo?  I was just trying to decide how to handle it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Cheri and welcome. It helps if you put the original in the post as well so people can compare.

The wall to the right is a large mirrored wall.

Your's appears to have too much blue in the levels adjustment?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

This is what I came up with.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Cheri

I've been working on this one, here's what I've got

I think the colors on the wall were more muted than I originally tried to do.  What do you think?

Mhayes

Cheri, unfortunately I think you are going in the wrong direction. What Tess and Kiska showed is what you should be aiming for. I'm not sure how you got to this point, but once you have tweaked the colors the wrong way, you just about have to start over with the original.  I don't know what software you are using, whether your monitor needs calibrating, or how you go about coloring correcting a photo. From you last WIP I think you are trying more to guess at what it should look like rather than trust a Levels or Curves Adjustment to get you there? I downloaded your last version and all of the R,G,B channels had clipping. See OPR Handbook for more details.

If you go to the tabs above and click on OPR Home and then choose the tab above Portfolio>OPR Handbook>Click this link to download Techniques This will give you a 7 page PDF on color correction and here is an example of Page 3/7 on a Levels Adjustment: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/assets/Techniques.pdf

Hang in there and post your work and we will help you.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Cheri

Sorry about that, I'm having problems with my monitor and calibrator.  The image I uploaded looked completely different from my monitor.  I've gone back and recalibrated and tried to upload it again and it's still off.  I've got to contact the calibrator company on Monday. I don't want to repost what I reuploaded because it still looks off.

paulboyowhite

Hi Cheri,

Don't let this photo get you frustrated.I am also quite new to this too and my last photo I have received back twice already.And also had to completely restart it too.
I am used to getting my own way when it comes to photo restore but as these are for other people I have to keep at it and take note of what I am being told.Only tonight I have learned something new from getting it wrong.
Keep going and I am sure you will get there

I get knocked down but I get up again,your never gonna keep me down.

Chumbawamba

Cheri

The weird thing is that it looks good on my screen in different formats, I've printed it and it looks the same as my screen, but when I upload it, it's muted colors.  Not sure what's going on.  I had my monitor calibrated, but now the calibrator isn't being recognized by my computer and I'm trying to work with customer service to find out why.  As soon as I can figure that out, I'm hoping the color issues resolves itself.  Just a little stumped as to why it looks so different than what I uploaded when everything had been calibrated...

Mhayes

Cheri, I'm not sure I know what you mean by it looks muted when you upload it? What are you looking at, a thumbnail in PhotoShelter? Also, I'm curious as to what you have your Color Settings set at--go up to edit in Photoshop and click on "Color Settings." All of our photos are in sRGB, so that is what you want. However, some of us have our settings on Adobe RGB and work in that and then when we are finish we will go to Edit and click on "Convert to Profile" and change it back to sRGB. Or when the box comes up telling you that the color setting is different than your working space, you have the option to keep it at the settings the photo comes in at--the safest choice for most. If you do not have your colors set, you will be flying blind.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Cheri

lurch

Shadow areas are too blue.
<C>

Mhayes

I agree with Lurch. Take a look at what Tess and Kiska posted as that is what you should be shooting for.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

What steps gave you your latest results? 

A basic levels adjustment and then curves should get you quite close to where you should be.

Original:

Levels:

Curves:

All the best,

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author