• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mold is not my Friend

Started by Candice, June 26, 2012, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

:wow:
Candice

Candice

Coloration is still off but the facial structure is closer, I think.
Candice

Johnboy

Candice,

You have come a long way. I don't have any thing to add to what to do next, but wanted to give a few words of encouragement. My last restore was when I thought I was done I would find more that needed attention. I thought I would never get rid it.

Johnboy

Candice

Thanks Johnboy.  I needed that.  :hug:
Candice

Pat

Candy, we have seen some truly beautiful work from you in the last few weeks and I really admire your tenacity with this one.  Unfortunately no one is going to be able to repair this photo with any hope of there being a true likeness to the subjects.  It's heartbreaking when we have to call a photo a non-restore but I have to agree with Margie's earlier assessment.  The information needed is just not there and we've been unable to obtain a reference photo.

Quote from: Mhayes on June 30, 2012, 09:44:00 PM
Candice, I think anyone that does this photo is going to have the same problem. You can't fix what is missing with nothing to go on. Having the nose and the one eye missing is a going to make any replacement a guess. That is why I have tried to reach the owners in hopes of a reference photo. This photo should have been a non-restore, but when it came in there was a chance because of the red and yellow that there would be enough information underneath and there wasn't. Plus, it was one of two photo which makes me think this was all they had left.

You really gave it a good run, but you needed more information. If there is any chance I can get a reference photo, I will and upload it to you.

Thanks for all that you were able to do.

Margie

Many, many thanks for your time and effort, you are an inspiration to all of us.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

bjtx

How unfortunate for Candy that this photo wasn't determined to be unstoreable before placing it in the gallery.   :huh:  

Candy, I feel for you because of the hours of effort you volunteered   :'(  ----  However,  :up: for your willingness.

question for QA: -  Now & in the future, could  questionable photos be reviewed so that unrestorables are not placed in the galleries?  
ex: AustinD24_11_4x6.jpg (middle face) in Tess's gallery --  is it restorable?

Thanks  :)
Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Pat

Hi Betty.  Good question.

If you are interested in the AustinD24_11 (or a photo of similar difficulty) you can request the gallery distributor send it to you along with a reference photo if one exists.  Once you have the photo, you can check of the individual channels etc. and in most cases determine rather quickly if it's a good candidate for restoration.  If you feel it's not, return it to the distributor with your assessment.

This is not something that can be determined during a copy run of course, and the gallery distributors would get totally bogged down if they had to download and prescreen the many, many photos they are required to handle.  With all of us working together however it usually goes pretty smoothly.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

bjtx

Pat, thank you for the helpful answer.  :)

I was unsure about requesting a reference photo. Currently, I have a  difficult photo in mind that's in Bambi's gallery ShepherdB21_16_3x4pt5  :-\  I know of a reference photo or 2, however, one was in different gallery.   
How would one obtain an older reference photo from a different gallery?

Also, is it possible to obtain a restored photo for reference?  ex: there were several  Shepherd wedding photos, which were apparently restored, that would be most helpful in restoring the 3 Shepherd long-timers in Bambi's gallery.  I (& likely others) have considered trying to help to send them home, at long last.

TIA
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 

Pat

Betty you can always request a specific photo for reference if you are aware of one, or ask the gallery distributor to check and see if there is one. 

I am not aware of an instance when more than one gallery distributor handles photos from the same family so there would not be a reference photo for one family in a different gallery.

Pat
Pat

bjtx

Pat, thanks for answering the questions that have been on my mind for some time. Likely, there are other volunteers thinking along the same line & your answers will be helpful to them as well.

Perhaps, I should have stated ' a helpful older photo for reference in a different gallery'.
fwiw --  I've noticed similarity in some recent wedding photos, even though they are different families/galleries.   Photos, which could provide help with necessary things such as legs, trousers, dresses, & shoes.  Hopefully, the distributor (in this instance, Bambi) will help me obtain one to use as a substitute reference as needed.

It's sure nice to receive advice, such as you have provided.  :)

Candice

With all that has been said and the input has been great, this my last change.  I've taken it as far as I can.  I suspect that the woman was the focal point and she was able to work with. 

For what it's worth, here it is:

Candice

Mhayes

Hi bjtx, I think Pat pretty much covered all the bases, but here is my 2 cents worth.

How unfortunate for Candy that this photo wasn't determined to be unstoreable before placing it in the gallery.     

Candice knew from the get-go that this one might not be restorable, but she was willing to give it a try. She did a great job, but the man had too much missing in his face to make it work.

Candy, I feel for you because of the hours of effort you volunteered     ----  However,    for your willingness.

question for QA: -  Now & in the future, could  questionable photos be reviewed so that unrestorables are not placed in the galleries? 
ex: AustinD24_11_4x6.jpg (middle face) in Tess's gallery --  is it restorable?

Answer: Is yes they are and for the photos from Hummelstown; I reviewed, straightened, cropped to dimension, uploaded to PhotoShelter, and last but not least created folders for each of the families. I do screen for photos that I feel are not restorable, but I do NOT pull each and every photo that has the orange/red streaks on them as usually they can be restored When you are going through 500+ photos, a few may get by---this is really labor intensive. The ones that don't are put in a folder so QC will know why the count is off. Also, when a family only has two photos from their entire lifetime, it's worth a chance that may or may not pay off.

I was unsure about requesting a reference photo. Currently, I have a  difficult photo in mind that's in Bambi's gallery ShepherdB21_16_3x4pt5     I know of a reference photo or 2, however, one was in different gallery.

Pat is correct in her answer and could you give me an example of where we split a family up other than a relative bringing in some?

Ask your distribitpr. Plus, on the Shepherd photos they were all in one gallery and one folder---we do not split families up, unless a relative happen to bring some in under their name. You need to be very careful before assuming another photo from another gallery is the same.

How would one obtain an older reference photo from a different gallery?
I'm not sure why you would be taking a reference photo from a different gallery for a family unless by chance another member of the family brought some in and that doesn't happen much. Please be specific as to what photo in another gallery you are talking about.

Also, is it possible to obtain a restored photo for reference?  ex: there were several  Shepherd wedding photos, which were apparently restored, that would be most helpful in restoring the 3 Shepherd long-timers in Bambi's gallery.  I (& likely others) have considered trying to help to send them home, at long last.

Color correct that photo first and then ask your distributor.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Funny thing about pictures it that sometimes look the worst come out the best.  I've had quite a few of those.  I also know when to call "Uncle".  I wasn't ready to do that with this picture.  It is now where I feel it will ever be, given my skills. 

The powers that be may choose to move it on for a little more color refinement. But for the faces... they are pretty dang close.

Here was one of my favorites, done years ago. You'd never think that it would be deemed restorable, but I saw the soldier through the muck:

Sometimes ya just have to try. 

It's been great working with this picture and seeing all the questions.  It helps others.

:loveit:
Candice

Mhayes

Candice, great attempt, but I can't go with: "I suspect that the woman was the focal point and she was able to work with." There is no way you can make a judgement call as to which is the more valuable of the two. I have not been able to contact the owner either by phone or email.

It happens very rarely---before QC got really tough---that a photo that we have guessed at missed the mark entirely got some feedback that we didn't do a good job.

Unless I get a reference photo and some feedback from the family, this photo is not going home. If I could get some feedback from the family I could show the family your restore---otherwise no.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Candice, that was a great restore, but this soldier had his face intact. I also remember another sailor that you did that had to have the owner's input before it came out right.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]