• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Kenny,

The look of the hand may be from where you repaired it, why not use the same hand from the other photo? It still looks a little odd, but it is original.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Hey, good idea, max! I can skew it a little to make it work.

Thanks!  :up:

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Here he is with the new/old hand (im confused) :p

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

I say it's perfect, and time to send it home.  I would have NEVER thought to do the research you and your wife did on this photo.  You deserve extra stars of praise on this one!

Good job!

Christine

glennab

Hi Kenny

Wonderful restoration! You're an ace! And I hope your wife gets plenty of "atta-girls" for her research.  Great team effort.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

A really top class job, both in research and restoration, I would have still been bumbling about trying to work out what the image was all about, and what colour the coat should be.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Kenny

As you can see, I've picked another doozy. I swear I've seen this boy before, in someone else's worklog. The name on the image is Turnbull. If anyone has another picture of this boy, I would surely appreciate it.

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

I wish you luck Kenny, you don't have a lot to work with, I don't like ones with small children, their parents can always remember what they looked like. :funny:

Hope you can find another photo.

Max

glennab

Kenny, if you can't find another version of this little guy, I'm wondering if you can pull anything up using Vikki's tutorial on channels.  It's amazing what she pulled from a photo that Chris was working on.  I believe she created her own thread with the tutorial.  Good Luck!!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Hey Max and Glenna. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm going to need it!

Glenna, I've already checked the channels. The blue channel has just enough information for one side of his face that I can reconstruct the other side. The only problem will be the nose. It's still damaged in the blue channel, so I'll have to build it from what's left.

The blue channel has damage the other channels don't. The wooden horse looks horrible in the blue channel. What I'll have to do is use the parts of it that have the information I need, then blend it in, then repair the whole thing.

I'll try to post an update this evening.

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Ever feel like you've bitten off more than you can chew? That would be me, presently. I have to walk away from this one for the evening to save what's left of my sanity  :funny:

I really need advice on this one. Right now I'm working on the face, which is the hardest part for me. This is the original face:

This is the face partially restored:

I'm going to do the mouth last, so I really haven't done much to is thus far. My plan was to do half the face; copy, flip and use the good half to replace the damaged half. Well, it's not working out so hot. This is what I get :

As you can see, it doesn't look like him anymore. I made an animation for comparison purposes:

The eye is the worst offender in my opinion. It looks to me like the original is much shorter, for lack of a better word. I don't know whether to just try to fix what's there without mirroring the right side, or try to fix the eye and the hairline, etc. I was able to get some information out of the blue channel, but not much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny -- All I can offer is moral support!  One difficulty with mirroring a face is that no one has a symmetrical face, and it's always fascinated me how different one side can look from the other.  Katrin Eismann has a few good tips, like making sure the flash dot is moved in the eye that's replicated to keep the person from looking cross-eyed.  Unless you can glean information from the channels or layer effects, you're gonna have a battle with this one.

I spent a lunch hour at work playing with layer effects, filters and channels, and sometimes details will come up in strange ways.  Sometimes converting to lab color mode and checking the light and the two color channels will help.  Also Lighting effects under filters has helped.

Good luck, bud!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

havril

Hi Kenny

Excellent job up to now. As Glenna said if you check the channels you will find that the blue channel has less damage and it will give you a guideline. as you will see the boy's mouth is wide open.

Harvey

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

You are doing a great job on a difficult subject, the thing I most notice in what you have done so far is that I think the Nose is a little too broad, and that may be effecting the look of the eye.

It will also look better when you restore the flow of his hair at the front, the other problem I have encountered using channels, overlaid to restore, is that it seem to destroy the natural texture of the image, compare the left side of the boys face in the original,l to what you have restored, that happened to me on the baby photo I did last, made it easy to recover detail, but when I had finished all the texture was destroyed and blotchy and I had to do it all again, or maybe I don't know how to do it properly, but this appears to be occurring in your image.

The horse should not be too much of a problem, quite a bit of good material to clone or paste, and the focus of interest is the child, all in all you are doing well, keep up the good work. :up2:

Max

Kenny

I'm sick today so I'm taking a break. I couldn't stay away, though, so I'm checking in :P

Max, I've been thinking that very thing about the texture. It's rougher because I used the blue channel to build up the missing features. But, the blue channel is also blotchy. I'm thinking about trying to combine the two to make it better somehow.

On the nose.....yeah, I've basically just put a rudimentary nose on him until I can finalize the shape. The same goes for the hair. I hate doing hair, it's so hard to make it look natural.

Anyway, I've just got a 24 hour bug, my wife just got over it. (gee thanks hunny for giving it to me  :funny:)

I hope to get back to work tomorrow!

But why is the rum gone?