• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Nasty green colour cast

Started by mickn, January 02, 2013, 10:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickn

OK guys... here is what I have..
I did some colour correction initially which also left the red cast at the bottom...
I used a mask and saturation layer to cancel that out which helped... The obvious main problem is this green cast over the whole image and how far to go with replacing the colour.. also trying to determine what the picture is of.. are they standing buy what appears to be an unfinished stud wall?

Im looking at a similar thread posted by davieboydave trying to get some ideas as it had a similar problem...
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1592.0.html

Im happy to start from scratch again to approach it differently if needed...

Please also ignore the dark patch on top left as I was playing around with patch tool.

Hannie

What a doozy you picked, you are a hero for even trying this one!

I believe the green to be damage, I tried a few things but unfortunately I wiped out the history of the layers so I'm not sure any more what I did.  I remember doing a levels adjustment in each R,G and B channel.  |I also lowered saturation in Cyan and Green.

Still way too much green so I did an Average Blur on an Overlay layer and in the Adjustment menu Inverted it. This took care of some of the greens and gave a pleasant skin color as well.,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

I agree with Hannie that you are a real hero for trying this one. I also agree that the green is damage and I gave up trying to get the green out of the stud walls, so I added a blank layer with the mode to "Color" and then did a fill with the color or: R:228;G:230;B:233. This was done after I had done other color corrections. I first did a Curves Adj. layer, then a Color Balance layer, a 2nd Curves Adj where I moved the master curve at the top inward. Then I added the above mentioned color layer and then did a layer mask to bring the people back in. I like Hannie's colors for the people better than mine, but this gives you an idea of working the walls in separate. Good luck!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mickn

Great result I can see already...  Now I have some pointers I will have a play about with it tonight...  Strange how some that look farly simple at first look can have such a large hurdle to overcome...  Thanks for your great suggestions....

Jo Ann Snover

I'm new to OPR, but just wanted to offer a thought for consideration. I looked at the tiny image from the first post and wondered if it was possible the walls really were dark green.

Look at this (really rough as it was done from the tiny version)

This was done with Levels in the individual channels and then a Channel Mixer adjustment layer until the faces looked close. Couple of curves layers to steer colors and contrast in the right direction produced the above.

Given the adjustments made the blond wood look reasonably "normal" it occurred to me it could just be that the walls were really painted dark green
Jo Ann

Mhayes

You have a good point, but I don't think green is right. Having been a part of building my own home, I know what you are seeing is not walls as much as insulation and this is an old photo so I would imagine the color is closer to gray. Now days there is a silver cover over it. Over the insulation would be the sheet rock for the wall and that would cover the insulation and the boards. Another reason for not thinking the green is correct is because there are lots more from this family where the entire photo is the same color of green which points to damage.

Thanks for the input and your reasons.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

That's a great technique, Hannie. I haven't used that before. Thanks for sharing!

Bambi

Hannie

Bambi, the funny part is that I did it all wrong! Here is the link to what I was trying to do:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1592.msg16775.html#msg16775

Works well on this image, you have to fiddle around a bit with opacity and saturation but it gets rid of the green cast.

:)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]