• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Shall I turn it up?

Started by Shadow, December 19, 2016, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Here's a new one. Color Correction - Found gray point & used Levels Auto Gray. Followed with Curves Auto and then tweaked RGB for 244/15. Did another Curves for skin & Hue/Sat to reduce red cast across little girl, radio and doorway. Still have clean up to do. Any thoughts? Color OK. Thanks all.

Jo Ann Snover

I think it's much closer to the original, but to my eye you've gone a bit too far over the line and left the image a looking a little blue-ish and closer to monotone than color.

I know this is a little yellower than yours, but see what you think for a comparison

I did look at what the difference method identified as grays, but didn't exactly follow it as I didn't like the look of the results :)

My version leaves the younger boy a red-head versus with brown hair. Not sure if any other images from this family give us clues here
Jo Ann

Mhayes

I ended up somewhere between the two. First I did an Auto Curves and then did a Neutral Gray in Curves by adding a layer as Soft Light and 50% Gray. Then I changed the mode to Difference. My gray and where it showed the closest area that was black was on the older boy's knee. I did not care about either the white or black in the photo as they looked good as they were. I like the results after that, but maybe needing the yellow toned down. After playing with different adjustments, I decided to try a Photo Filter>Cooling Filter, L88>Density 33. On the layer itself I reduced the opacity to 49%. Still strong with the red and perhaps too cool

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Looked in the folder for this family and the little one is a girl. I think the photos make it look like she has red hair, but there is one photo where she is a little older and her hair is brown. Might be able to check with the owners and see for sure.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. it's looking really close.. nice job.. I added a tad of vibrance to your color restore and then a smidge of color balance to the yellow and a smidge of color bal to the red
but that's just subjective.. I've done several of this family and to me the little girl's hair ended up brown..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Good morning everyone. So many good options to choose from. Thank you for all your input! Did this last night late so I will put it up. How's it look?

Lynnya

Well to me Lyn it looks really beautiful! :up: :up: :up:

Shadow

These pics have been fun. Thank you Lynn!  :loveit:
On the Vibrance ... do you remember about how much you added? Have been experimenting with it since Hannie mentioned it on one of your pics ... have to keep experimenting.

Lynnya

hmm no I didn't pay attention.. I just tried to reproduce it and it seems it might have been like +53 on vibrance  ...  -13 from blue to yellow (color balance) and +13 to the red

sort of...
by the way.. have to seen Taz's "Photoshop CS4: Color Correction" Lynda.com... it's got a lot of good stuff..specially section "weird color casts"

Shadow

Hey Lynn, wouldn't you know I missed that one. Will check it out after the holidays. Will also play around with the values you gave me for this one ... trying to get more comfortable with Color Balance and Vibrance and the only way to do that for me is practice. Helps having a guideline - like the numbers you gave.
Jo Ann and Margie ... an earlier photo I worked on has the little girl with brown hair. Appreciate both of you making the time to share your process and screenshots!
Thank you all for weighing in. Isn't cool how many different ways there are to work out things with photoshop!
And now, Shadow is calling and I must obey!!  :funny:

Lynnya

Jo Ann.. how do you get your color sampler marks to be blue??? drives me nuts cos I can't see mine half the time..

Jo Ann Snover

I don't! They were just the original marks in the screen grab that were mangled by my various adjustment layers :)

I don't think the folks at Adobe appreciate older eyes needing things a bit larger! The point itself can be precise, but I need something larger to find too
Jo Ann

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]