• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie!!!!Painted Photo update, where do you draw the line on a painted photo?

Started by MB, October 28, 2009, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB

Does the color look good?   I like the old look! 
MB

schen

MB,

I like the original warm color.  But that is just my personal perference.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

lurch

I like the old look, too, but there is a pronounced yellow cast that shouldn't be there. Good job on fixing the damage.
<C>

Mhayes

Morgan!!!!

Perhaps we have a misunderstanding here; I don't get all the exclamation points on this second post. It's sort of like shouting and gives the impression that I fell asleep at the wheel and was not there in your time of need. You sent me a personal message at 4:10 pm today:

QuoteMargie,
I am almost done with the painted photo.  I put an update on the last post on the forum, but no one seems to look at it.  Maybe I should just put up a new post.

I replied around 5:30 that I didn't see your post at first and assumed according to you that no one had responded to your post. I also ask that you give me some clue to the post heading and you responded back with the name of the post. I'm seeing that Shujen had given you advice, so not sure what you mean by "no one seems to look at it." Next at 6 pm I see that you have done a 2nd post with "Margie!!!! Painted . . . " I assume this was to get my attention? I might have had an easier time trying to find your post if you would post in the right category. Both of your posts are in "The New Volunteer Welcome Center." If you will look in Forum Home, you will see there are other categories that are a better fit than the Welcome Center.

I'm not sure what you mean as to when you draw the line on a painted photo? When it's done and it looks as close to the original, minus the damage. This looks like you are close to being there.  I do agree with Shujen on liking the original warm color better. I think you have done a great job of repairing the damage. I see a faint gray haze where the damage was on the man's shoulder (your right) going into the background. Until you upload your photo back to PhotoShelter at the original 300 dpi; I can't give you a final opinion.

I would suggest being patient because with getting 30+ emails a day, maintaining a gallery, blog, forum presence, and planning for an Atlanta rescue; I may not be able to respond at the snap of the fingers, especially when I am out of town as happened today.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Sorry Margie.  We've all been spoiled by the speedy responses sometimes we forgot you are all volunteers with other things in your life.   :hug:
Shujen Chen

schen

Yes, the original has heavy yellow cast from aging.  You could reduce the the yellow cast by using a selective color layer, picking yellow color, and sliding the yellow slider.

I am using my laptop that does not give me a good color.  The following image should have less yellow but too pink?

Shujen Chen

glennab

Actually, Shujen, I very much like the tones you got with your adjustments.  Warmer, but not too warm.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Great restore so far!

I wonder if it is possible to have the dark area on our left a little lighter with maybe a hint of the themen's shoulder?  (if you still had to work that area ignore my remark!)

I have one small pick, the girl has a really cute mouth in the original and it seems to have lost some of its charm the restored version.
(I'm probably nuts to pay attention to something so small but it jumped out at me...)

Hannie

PS
Morgan, it may take the volunteers a while to respond to a question on the forum but usually you get a reactio in a couple of days!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MB

Margie, the post I referred to was posted on 10/25 not 10/28 (this is the one you are referring to).  I know that all you guys are very busy helping out newbies like me.  I am trying my best to post everything properly, but it is not working out to well.  This is what happened:  I thought i was supposed to update my old post with new photos.  So, I updated the post of 10/25.  The post of the 25th is the one i refrred to you in my email, not this post.  On your reply, you told me that you could not see my post.  I knew then, that i had done something wrong with my posting.  So, I got back on the forum and posted new message.  The exclamation points were to lead you to the post.  They were not intended to upset you, they were intended to help.  I do not snap my fingers and I am very patience.  I had a feeling I posted my message wrong and I was right.  I tried to correct the mistake, but it just cause me more problems.   
I will keep my posts at the minimum from now on.   
MB

MB

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I was not sure I liked the color to much, I will warm it up a little more.  So, Shujen I will try to keep the color you posted.  Hannie, I will work on her left side.  The mouth was very dark in the original & I cloned some color from the mans lip.  I lost texture, but I will put it back.  I know what you mean, i don't like it much anymore.  I think the color is to bright & the lost of texture.   I will work on the lips.   You guys can pick all you want at my work.  I want to make the photo as good as I can.   Again, thanks
MB

Mhayes

Morgan, thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. I did find your post on the 25, but sometimes it is hard for me to know which post you were referring to without the title--you have two WIP on the forum. Plus, once I found your post I saw that Shujen had replied so couldn't understand why you said no one had responded. I did not know that you were having problems with posting. You should have been able to post new material to that post.

I would not want you to keep your post to a minimum and you are doing great work. Sometimes misunderstands happens in cyber space when the intentions are not clear. A row of !!!!!!!! or letters in caps is known as shouting. Yes, it did get my attentions, but not quite the way you expected. I see where you are coming from, so please come around often to the forum.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MB

MB