• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New guy checking in :) Had a go at a restoration...

Started by Gavh, October 13, 2007, 05:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavh

Thanks for such a warm welcome guys! I am hounoured to be the first South African  :up: I'll be a regular here. I am just busy with my final B-Tech design project but, I always make time to do this sort of work ;) Was at a braai (BBQ) last night so I didn't have the time to browse the forums. Its 8am now so I'll go make some coffee and then see what I can find here. Thanks for the link klassylady25, bookmarked! I also just downloaded the file as well.

Atlantis

Hey Gavh, you beat me to it and quite active as well already  :up2:
I still need to introduce myself here but it's sunday and lots of family-activity going on this weekend.

(you know me - it's a secret  8) )
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Gavh

Its no secret, Atlantis, I know who you are, hehe  ;D Allow me to introduce another worthy noob!! I just got here and I can already say WELCOME to someone  8)

Ziaphra

Hannie

Aha, another newbie snuck in here...welcome to the forum Atlantis!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

I really wanted to have a go at restoring a picture so I used one I found in the forums. Well this is howit turned out.  :)

Comments welcome! Help me iron out anything I may have misinterpreted before I get going on the real thing  :knuppel:

Hannie

Hi Gav,

You did really well on this picture, the only pick I have is that you could add e.g. a level or curves adjustment?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

Quote from: Hannie on October 14, 2007, 08:59:27 AM
Hi Gav,

You did really well on this picture, the only pick I have is that you could add e.g. a level or curves adjustment?

Hannie
Ah ok, good idea Hannie. I was trying to keep the tone of the image the same, so it still looked old. Still trying to find me feet as to how far I can/should take an image. Like you I prefer a bit more contrast to a picture :)

Hannie

Gav, I didn't mean to make you think that the photo has to be black and white.  It just turned out that way after I adjusted it a bit!  Some people prefer the sepia tone that appears on photos after a few years.  You can add the sepia tone if you like it. 
I am inclined to keep relatively modern photos in black and white and the the older (antique) ones in sepia.

greetz,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

Silly me, I may have used "tone" incorrectly. I think I meant "contrast". I wanted to keep the contrast of the picture similar to that of the original. I think I'll still learn when to, and not to, play with the picture.  :) Makes sense that an older photo would have faded a bit in the contrast dept. hehe

glennab

Okay, Gavh, you're about to experience the norm on the forum – diverse subjective opinions.  I prefer your original restoration with a little less contrast, because it IS an older photo and the the subtle treatment keeps that flavor.  Hannie, your version is lovely, too, with more contrast, but I find myself drawn to the first one.  Maybe because I'm an oldie, too.

Great restoration work, though, Gavh, whichever direction you go. Another talented newbie – whoo hoo!

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Good point you made there, Glenna! 

=^..^=

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

awww thanks for the nice comment Glenna  :cool:

phischer

Hi and welcome. It's always nice to see a worthian joining the ranks of OPR. Nice job on this practice run.  As far as finding an easy one to work on...let me know if you find any! ;D
A lot of them look easy before you download them.

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome to the forum Atlantis.

You did a great job on the restore Gavh.  :up: Hey Glenna you could donate Elenor to Gavh to try.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]