• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hurricane Sandy

Started by Tori803, October 29, 2012, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tori803

Any volunteers out there being affected by the hurricane? My husband is stuck in Boston but here in Minnesota we're not expecting any weather impact from the east. I noticed that Pat and Mike in Michigan might be getting heavy rain and winds. But you folks farther east are likely to get some heavy flooding...
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Tori,

Yesterday I contacted on FB both Dave Ellis (VA) and Dave Matthews (NY) to see how they were going to fare. They will keep me posted and I told Dave he might be doing another copy run and he was ready. This storm could even hit PA and TN where we have been before.

Pat and Mike, let us know how things are going and also Shujen.

We are planning on a run in the spring to help those hit by Hurricane Irene (? loosing track of my hurricanes), but will keep the Northeast in mind also. Dave and John will be a big help in keeping us posted.

Best place to get coverage is The Weather Channel is you have it.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Just saw the TV news report of Long Island, NY, people using boats on city streets now.
Tori

Mike S.

Good afternoon Margie,

Nothing serious here yet.  Winds 20 to 30 mph.  Expecting 40 to 50 mph tomorrow.

I hope the east coast does not turn out as bad as forecast.

Mike
Mike S.

Pat

Tori, we will keep your husband in our thoughts and hope that he will be able to find a comfortable and safe shelter from the storm.

We've heard predictions of up to 4 inches of rain along with some power outages due to downed trees in our area before it's all over, but we can't complain considering what others will be going through.

Pat

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Pat, thanks for the good thoughts. Time goes slowly while you're waiting for the weather to improve.
Tori

Mhayes

Tori, sorry I totally missed the part of your husband being in harms way. Hope things don't get too bad in Boston and that he is able to keep in touch.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Hope everyone stays safe. We are watching live news of it all now and the flooding is getting high and not peaked yet!
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Picture from the Associated Press as flood waters rush into the World Trade Center construction site. ~Bulldog1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=364316380324632&set=a.195973473825591.43833.194891727267099&type=1&theater
Candice

Hannie

Glued to the television here as well, we have family living there right in Sandy's path.  Hope everyone stays safe and the storm will die down soon!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Hello everyone,

Here in Michigan our biggest problem is the wind.  74 MPH on shore of Lake Erie,  49MPH where we are.  Still not a major issue, a few power lines down.  DTE Energy says 51,000 of its customers in southeastern Michigan are without power Monday   Some snow that melts as fast as it comes down.  

On the west side of the state, Lake Michigan shores are getting  60 MPH gusts with 18 feet high waves and expecting them to go to 30 feet.  I would imagine Shujen must be getting hit in the Chicago area.

Tori I hope your husband has weathered the storm OK in Boston.

Mike
Mike S.

Tori803

The good news is hubby is fine. He's a little bored waiting to get unloaded. There are lots of trees down in the area and spotty power outages so things are taking longer than usual. But in Massachusetts gov't employees are back to work and emergency crews are working long shifts to get things back to normal. Looks like there was a lot of damage from the storm (estimates run from $10 to $20 billion.)
Tori

Pat

Tori, we are very thankful you hubby is safe and sound.  Hopefully he will be home soon.

The featured video in the following link shows Matt Lauer of the Today Show interviewing a man who has lost his childhood home in the storm.  When Matt asked him what one thing he would like to salvage he said the family photos.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49620420

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Tori, glad to hear your hubby is OK.

I got an email from volunteer Shayna today in Boston:

QuoteWe're ok this time, but our next door neighbor had a tree land on the roof breaking a window.  The next day we were treated to a 100' crane picking up the large pieces left after the chain saw sang all morning.

Pat, thanks for the video, but my WiFi is so slow that I finally had to get the transcript of the interview. Tonight I watched CBS World News with Scott Pelley and it is so depressing. What is the hardest is to see those who have lost EVERYTHING like in Breezy Point, NY.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57543363/resident-of-breezy-point-n.y-looks-for-comfort-in-the-rubble/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

It was windy here at the Windy City.  Lake Michigan had the near record high waves at more than 20 feet.  Lake shore traffic was congested from lake water spilling onto the road and people stopping to watch the waves.  Other than that, there was no damage report.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6