• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hannie's new camera!

Started by Hannie, May 10, 2008, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Pete, thanks for the great information.  I'll definitely check out the web site.  Lon just told me that he can't replace the deteriorating needle on the old turntable, so we'll have to buy a newer one anyway.  And obviously we LOVE our music. Lon even has some 78s that belonged to his dad.  If he doesn't get laid off, we'll invest in the best one we can afford (c'mon "stimulus" tax check!).

Now there's grist for another OPR convention.  The music fanatics of OPR.  Wouldn't that be fun!  Where's my poofer?????

Cheers,

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

Glenna,
How about Jazz Fest next spring? Haven't done  that in a few years and it's all about music.
Also I have to ask, what's a "poofer"? Should I get one? lol
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Pete, Jazz fest would be awesome! Are you talking New Orleans? We could combine a heavenly musical experience with a copy run.  Whoo hoo!

As for the poofer, it's an old, old joke of Lon's and mine.  He started it because he custom builds the most beautiful model cars imaginable. (He once built real hot rods and race cars, so the models are amazingly realistic). His contention was that if we could find a "poofer" we could make the cars full-size and drive a new one to work every day, which sounded great to me.  So the poofer is a device that makes the impossible or improbable a reality.  Unfortunately, we've looked everywhere we can think of and haven't found the elusive device yet.  Crap!

However, we haven't given up!  And yes, please get one if you can!  Just let us know the web address, so we can order ours!

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hmmm...so all of those old vinyls that my husband refuses to get rid of, despite filling half of a closet shelf really do have value, huh?

Chris

glennab

Chris, you could be sitting on a "gold mine!"  I read in our local newspaper a few years ago that one of the original albums by the Beatles (I believe it was "Meet the Beatles" was selling at that time for over $10,000.)  Probably a good time to check E-Bay!

G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Pete there are still tickets available for The Raising Sand Tour at Ticketmaster but they are expensive.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004054AA6C3F06?artistid=735867&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Hannie, Hannie, Hannie, I had given up! I now have 9th row tickets to the Raising Sand concert.
Thank you in the most special way!
Now if we could just find Glenna a poofer we could put this thread to bed. lol
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

kiska

Maybe we can't find the poofer 'cause it might be a woofer.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Pete that is great!  You will be amazed at how much better they sound live!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Great, guys!

Now I have a major case of concert envy.  For the first time I listened to the RP & AK CD while I was reading the paper yesterday, and it was one of the best I've heard in a while.  Pete, enjoy the concert!  How wonderful that you were able to get tickets.

Hannie, you're a wealth of information.  I know you travel, but do you also read a lot?  Where does all this knowledge originate?  I want to make a big pitcher of southern sweet iced tea, plop you and me in the gazebo outside and chat for several days!

Even though I haven't given up on finding my poofer, we can retire this thread any time you're ready.  I have to admit, though that I find it great fun to go back to the beginning and follow our meandering through so many unrelated subjects.  You're all wonderful companions for an old lady who spends most days with people who are scrapbooking and talking about the latest "reality" show and/or mediocre movie they've watched.  YAWN!

Have a wonderful Sunday.

G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna I don't read much any more, can't seem to concentrate!  I also don't travel that much any more either, I'm still pooped from the 12 hour flight to Cape Town and back in February.  I'm due to go to Maine this summer with my hubby to stay with father in law and visit stepson in Massachusetts.  Even though I enjoy being in the U.S. a lot, I love your country, I am definitely not looking forward to travelling again so soon! 

I would enjoy having that iced tea with you in your beautiful garden, talk for hours and watch you taking lots of photos with your Nikon!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, I can't believe you're heading for Maine.  My sister lives in a wonderful old formerly-haunted house in Prospect Harbor – on a hill that overlooks the harbor, which is often full of "lobstah" boats.  What an incredible view. Where does your father-in-law live?

I've only taken one REALLY long flight, and hope to never do it again.  Right after I married the first time, my husband took a job subcontracting for NASA to build a deep-space tracking station in Madagascar.  We flew from Virginia to New York, to Paris, to Djibouti and then on to Tananarive, the capital.  If I remember correctly (and I was only 20 so it was several hundred years ago) it was close to 26 or 28 hours.  It wasn't a flight; it was a siege! Talk about jet lag!  And culture shock!

Anyway, I understand your reluctance to make long flights.  Traveling is wonderful, but it does take its toll!  That notwithstanding, I hope you enjoy your trip.  Maine in the summer is one of my favorite places in the world.  What could be better than eating lobster until you can't eat any more? And the coastline is breathtaking.

My sister always gets enough food for an army when we go up to visit, and we feast!  Both she and my older nephew are chefs, so we eat like kings.  When my mom died, we were treated to all the lobster we wanted, sushi, spring rolls - to name a few of the wonderful fare they fixed for us.  And my niece-in-law is also a chef, so she did all the cooking for Mom's memorial gathering.  If I lived near them, I'd weigh 400 pounds!

As for the Nikon – I won't give up, but I find as I get older my patience with complex electronics isn't as persistent as it once was.  I WILL get those photos, however.  I'm a stubborn old gal!

Hugs,

G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna, my father-in-law lives in Houlton, way up North near the Canadian border.  I do like Maine but I have to make sure to avoid the black fly season, the mosquitoes are no fun either!  Prospect Harbor (sounds like s.t. out of a Steven Spielberg movie!) looks like a beautiful place, lots of things to do there.  It must be a real joy to stay there and have people cook delicious meals for you, aren't you lucky.
When we are in Maine it usually means eating out at least 2 times a day, and if dad had his way we also would eat breakfast out!  ;D  No need to say that we gain lots of weight that we somehow have to get rid of again when we get back home.

It is funny to read about your trip to Madagascar where your husband worked for NASA.  For years, my husband had a similar job looking after radio satelites for NASA until his eyes went bad and he had to quit.  Another remarkable detail is that he was a bass guitar player but had to give that up after arthritis bent his fingers and he couldn't play any more. 

Have a wonderful day,

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]