• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hannie's new camera!

Started by Hannie, May 10, 2008, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Quote from: kiska on May 16, 2008, 04:41:40 AM
I spent about an hour cutting down poke salad in my back yard yesterday.
;D

I saw Tony Joe white perform 2 years ago, nice small venue in the north of the Netherlands.  It was just him and a drummer and they were so good!  Seems to me that few young musicians match up to these old geezers, boy they were smooth!

Also went to see Emmylou's Spyboy tour here in Amsterdam and that was also an experience never to forget. 
There still is a lot of music to enjoy but I will only go to small venues with good sound and affordable prices.  (Had to skip the James Taylor and Emmylou+Mark concert that I really wanted to see, the ticket prices went through the roof!)

Looking forward to some Nikon photos!

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Curtis, you just blew me away.  Polk Salad Annie –OMG, what a great blast from the past!  I can't believe Tony Joe's still around and that anyone remembers him.  Even when his album came out, I didn't know anyone but hubby who'd heard of him, much less liked him.  And the babies I work with wouldn't have a clue! I'm going to listen to the new CD on the way to work this morning.  It'll help me get through Friday!  Then I can put both CDs in I-Tunes at work, don my headphones and tune out the normal art department chaos.  It's web time.  Arghhhhhhh!

Hannie, I can't imagine seeing Tony Joe now.  The oldsters ROCK!  I love it!

Here's another oldie for you: Jonathan Edwards.  He's a local boy who made beautiful music back in the 70s.  No one I know has heard of him, because he only had one hit, but his albums (what a strange concept now!) contained some absolute jewels.  He had an angelic voice (would I LOVE to hear a collaboration with him and Allison).  We saw him in concert in Tampa, and he sang several songs a cappella that totally silenced a rather roudy bar audience.  It was awesome!  Hubby keeps talking about getting out our albums (we have several hundred) and getting them in the computer.  Somehow life keeps getting in the way of those projects!

Anyway, I love it when we digress to music!  Can you say Marc Broussard????

Have a lovely Friday (for me! Pleeze!)

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hannie

Hubby is always amazed at how popular American Root music is in The Netherlands, there is definitely no shortage of great Americana performances over here!

I have Jonathan Edwards album (!) called "Have a Good Time for Me".  Another beautiful voice from the past and yes, it would be fun to hear him sing together with Allison Krauss. 
The photo on top I took when the 4 of them were singing "Down to the river to pray", could have heard a pin drop...

Fun to talk to you about music Glenna, have e great weekend and enjoy the your Cd's!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

QuotePoke salad?

Ask Levon. I've got plenty. Be glad to send you some.........just don't eat the berries.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

zinger

"Gater's got your granny, chomp, chomp, chomp."

I think I noticed someplace in the forum rules you have to post a photo of your red shoes when you get a new camera.

glennab

OH, YEAH! And "Steamy Windows"!  Tina Turner does an unbelievable version of that one!  It'll fog up your glasses!

And next on the "have to have" list is a new CD about to be released by another geezer, Steve Winwood.  Love that guy!  Didn't even know he was still around.  Where the heck have these people been for the last 20 years?

Interestingly,  until he was drafted to go to Viet Nam, hubby was lead guitarist for Roy Orbison.  The Marines took care of his music career, but it's a great thought that if he'd been able to continue performing, he could be one of the oldsters still rockin' & rollin'.  But then I wouldn't have met him, so never mind.  I'm glad he's where he is, and he seems content.  He's not a person for regrets – one of the many reasons he's my beloved and my best friend.  I hope he doesn't see this.  He'll blush!  (Another reason...)

G

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Ok, I did my own research, and what does poke salad have to do with Hannie's new camera??   :D

"Poke Salad Annie" or "Polk Salad Annie" is a 1969 song written and performed by Tony Joe White. It was recorded in Muscle Shoals, AL. Its lyrics describe the lifestyle of a generic Southern girl. Traditionally, the term to describe the type of food highlighted in the song is "poke salad."  The term Poke Salad is erroneous. It is actually Poke Sallet. Salad refers to greens, such as lettuce, that are eaten raw. Sallet refers to greens, such as collards, that are eaten after cooking.

This is my "learned something new" for the day, so I'm off to bed!

Chris

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Jeff your are right, this is a topic about a new camera so this one is for you!

Glenna, Steve Winwood is very talented.  He just turned 60 this week and is on tour all over the world.  He virtually plays all instruments, produces and engineers everything on his albums.  After the 70's he lost interest in mainstream pop music (sort of like Jeff Back).
What fun time it must have been playing with big O, hubby must have fond memories of those day!  (too bad the war had to end it)

Chris you better not eat polk salad, loos like it's poisonous!  :D

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Hannie, my wife and I saw TJ White about 4yrs ago at a small club here in NYC and it was just him and a drummer. We  were blown away. Only two people making that sound?!?! I grew up in north Louisiana and listened to him since the get go, but he did a song called Stockholm Blues that I hadn't heard before and it was a big, big hit with the crowd that night. "Roosevelt & Ira Lee" & "Rainy Night in Georgia" are my favorites.
Couldn't get tickets to the Raising Sand concerts (2 nites). Sold out!
I have everything T Bone has put out since the early 80's. Also his wife/Xwife Sam Phillips. They both have new CD's coming out soon.
Hallelujah,
Pete

ps: On the topic of music, I listen to WWOZ every Saturday morning via the internet. Check it out. New Orleans is coming back!!!
Windows XP, CS3

Ratz

WOW Glenna, my hubby is the biggest fan of Roy Orbison :cool:
he dosen't think there is another singer on the entire planet!!
He drives the whole family crazy yelling for  the Big O every time we have music on :crazy:

hoodman3

Glenna, if you have so many albums that you want to hear, please look into buying a turntable. The sound is so, so much better. I bought a Music Hall turntable a few years ago for about 300$ and it's sound is amazing. So much better than a CD.
Just my opinion.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Vicki, I was a HUGE fan of Roy's as well.  Another angelic voice.  He could make you weep.

I love to hear Lon's stories about being on the road, performing even though he's a very bashful person, the other stars he traveled with and the kind of person Mr. Orbison was (oh, yeah, and the GROUPIES. Arghhhhhh.)

Unfortunately, the war destroyed his hands, so I've never heard him play, but the guitar is in a case in our bedroom.  I don't want to get too mushy, but I'm married to the most interesting, wonderful guy.  He's had many things taken from him in his life (lost a college football scholarship when his sternum was broken the last game of his senior year in high school), but he isn't bitter or resentful, he has a wonderful sense of humor, and I think because of his way of dealing with life, he's 61 and looks about mid-40s (I DO hate him for that, the poop! I figure people around here must think it's so special that he takes his mom out all the time).

One of the things especially wonderful to me is his pride in my being part of OPR.  He was planning to be on the Biloxi run, but work deadlines didn't allow him to go.  He was furious and told me that he WILL be on the next run, even if they threaten his job.  What a guy!  I think he's a keeper.

G

I'll digress (how unusual!) for a moment to give you an example of this guy's zany sense of humor.  We were in Walgreens one day a few weekends ago, and the bill came to $15 or something like that.  For some reason I had a bunch of dollar bills, so I counted out 15 singles and gave them to the clerk.  Lon looked at me in horror and said "Have you been DANCING again?"  I thought the clerk (very young) was going to fall over in a dead faint.  Being accustomed to his antics after more than 30 years, I just laughed until I nearly fell over in a faint.

Pete, you were posting while I was rambling.  We do have a turntable, and the plan is to get all the LP music into the computer.  However, I had an interesting discussion with our company president yesterday about the fact that, as you mentioned, the sound from an album is superior to what can be captured on a CD.  I honestly didn't know that.  We may have to just dig out the albums and enjoy them the second time around!  I have Beatles albums from their very early years and many other gems from that era.  And Lon has a huge collection of 45s from the 50s and 60s.  It's great fun when he gets them out and plays DJ for our friends.

Are the newer turntables able to pick up better sound than older ones?  I think ours is about 15 years old.

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

Glenna, the better the turntable the better the sound. The Music Hall I have is the least expensive of what they call "audiophile" turntables and it's a bit finicky to use but the sound is incredible. You can spend  several thousand dollars but that's not realistic for most people. Check out http://www.needledoctor.com/. There's a lot of info about turntables. If you are serious about your albums, like I am, it's worth it to research a good turntable. I have 45's that are irreplaceable. (Dolly Parton singing "Dumb Blonde" when she was 14)
Best of luck,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3