• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Non-Restore Challenge 4

Started by Bambi, January 28, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

Members can download this from it's own gallery. Non-Restore Challenge 4. Use the password Challenge4. Have fun!

Bambi

Hannie

Bambi, you are being so cruel! 

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

I thought you would post the other, much harder one  ???

ETA nevermind, I found it >>> challenge # 5
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Tori803

How is anyone coming on this one?
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

G3User

Tori, afraid I have run out of time with this one. I have to admit that faces are my worst task, give me a wall, window, furniture, background etc and I am happy.

New Years resolution was to work on faces so this is a good challenge but things have got busy so I doubt that I will be able to do any more. Teeth are just a rough.

Will be interested to see if anyone has a crack at coloring, this was based on the green layer which appeared to have the least damage. Haven't found anthing to give me an idea of his skin colour.

Can't believe how little detail there is for a 10 x 8 so perhaps printing it as a cropped 6 x 4 or 7 x 5 would be the way to go if the distributor was agreeable

Thanks Bambi ;)

MiKOTRON

Here's what I have so far.  I'm not sure what the background is, so I'm attempting to recreate what I think is was.  I made a new layer under the background and just applied a spherical gradient in the center using 2 sampled colors from the original.  I then added RGB noise to the gradient and then blurred that to better match the noise in the original. Back on the background layer I just erased around the subject revealing the new background.

I'm sure that you all already know how to do all this basic stuff.  I'm not too sure if I need or should be explaining what I did to a photo.  I new here so let me know.

-Mike

G3User

Hi Mike,

Good start, did you work on his face or is it just the result of Photobucket compressing it?

The background will be a challenge as there is so little information available, it is a studio shot so it is probably fabric but who knows. Probably needs more variation

Sounds like you are not into masks, rather than erasing the background you have created it would be better to rely on masking. I would probably put a duplicate of the boy above the completed background and mask him to reveal the background. You can then work on the mask using a black or white brush to refine the edges.
You will probably need to use on of the "hair" brushes to recreate the fuzzy outline of his hair against the background eventually.

I am starting again and hope to post again next week

Athol

MiKOTRON

Greetings and salutations Athol.  Yeah I did come cloning on the face and hair.  I did all this at 1:00am, waaayy past my bedtime! 

I think that what you're describing is exactly what I'm doing.

The background that I created is the first layer. The subject is the next layer followed by a "shadow" layer then finally the top layer being my "highlight" layer.   

The edges haven't even been worked on at all, yet.  The use of a "hair" brush is an excellent suggestion as I was probably going to work the edges pixel by pixel.

As for the face, I know that it needs more work I'll smooth that out later.  I'm trying to retain the grainy texture of the original so I thought that cloning was the way to go on that.  The more that I look at it the more I want to use the smudge tool on it.  If I do that then I'll have to add RGB noise to the subject then blur the RGB noise.  It'll look similar to the original but I don't think that the texture will be true to the original.

The boy's body, where too damaged, will just have to be painted in and then textured. I don't know of any other way to do that.

I think that I'll re-apply the original face minus the hair and re-work that.  I really messed up the shadowing on the forehead.  Okay, here we go on to take two.
-Mike

jesterjeni

my  shot at baby martin! ok i know its not real polished...I am still A novice!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bjtx

It's nice to see there is still interest in the challenges. 
I hope to post something for Challenge 2 & 3 soon. (Haven't attempted this one yet)  :D
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

G3User

Not doing too well with this one.

Spent an evening on it, finished late of course and before I saved it my PC crashed. So two days of repairs, system restores etc and of course I have lost what I had done. (mumble, mumble, mumble etc. etc. etc) :mad:

Might be time to get to some real restores

A distributor question. For a 10x8 there was little detail to be recovered. Would a re-size to 7x5 or 6x4 with the necessary crop be possible, it would give the appearance of more detail.

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, take a break and come over to the other (dark?) side and get something fun to work on. You need a break.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]