• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New guy checking in :) Had a go at a restoration...

Started by Gavh, October 13, 2007, 05:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavh

Hi everyone

Glad to have made it this far :D I am from Cape Town, South Africa. I found out about the site when I heard that Ziaphra (a fellow juror of mine at Worth1000.com) contributes to this site. I thought I better had a look and decided it would be a great place to use what I know in Photoshop to give back :)
I look forward to getting to know everyone here! Does anyone know of other South African's who contribute here? Also I am excited to do my first picture. I am thinking I should start off with the easier pictures and build my way up. This sort of work is something I am not used to so, I am keen to learn how certain issued are tackled by you guys. Now I am off to find an avatar :D

Tess (Tassie D)

to the forum Gavh. Its great to have someone from your beautiful part of the world join us. Hope you have lots of fun and enjoy working on the photos. Chris should have some up soon with some easy ones in there.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

Thanks Tassie. Ah ok so Chris in in charge of the easier ones. I was told to have a look in Christines folder. I see she has 2 pictures. I might be able to do the one of the women but, the one of the graduation man look extremely difficult!!! I have no clue how I would approach such a damaged picture ??? Just wondering, when you say available soon, how soon is soon? I'm just trying to get a feel of the timeframe with regard to workflow... Note to self: get that avatar! :P

Tess (Tassie D)

Chris/Christine is the one that puts most of the pics up for us to choose. She should have some up maybe Monday, has visitors for the weekend.
I think the last batch of 250 went in on the 1st October and they're pretty much done now.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Gavh

WOW ok so thats really fast! :wow: I'm going to have a look around in the forums. I see there are examples of work in progress etc. Any ideas as to how many photos have been restored to date?

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats a good question. I've only been here 4 months so I would have no idea. Dave or Christine could probably give us a rough estimate. I think in the thousands?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Gavh!

South Africa, another beautiful country I haven't been and would love to see!
Welcome to the board, you will find a great bunch of friendly, helpful people here.  
You also are the first volunteer from South Africa, congrats!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Hi Gavh and welcome to the forum...Yep you are the first from South Africa..so congrats....

Christine should have some more photo's up soon enough for you to work on...Have you opened a account with Photoshelter yet?

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Charlene5

Welcome Gav!  I'm a newbie too.  You'll like it here.  The inmates are wonderful and you'll learn a lot about dealing with seemingly impossible restorations. 

MJ in central Texas
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

Hi Gavh,

Great to have you on board. Besides the Biloxi pictures, the Coffeyville flood pictures are close to being uploaded to the system. When that happens, you will have a wide range of pictures to choose from: easy to difficult. Have fun  ;D and if you have any questions, we're all here to help.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Gavh

I'm sending you a huge welcome from West Central Florida. I'm one of the old-bies and have seen most of the work that's been done and shown on the forum.  I've also learned more than I would have imagined from our fellow volunteers.  Our newbies have contributed so much the past few months, and they're from all over the world.  It's great to have our first resident of South Africa.  I hope you'll be a regular on the forum.

Bless!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Welcome to the nut house Gavh!!   Seriously, there are no better people.  This is second home to some of us!  I'm an oldier too.  It's good to have you.

truckersau

Hi Gavh, Thought I'd better say, hi & welcome to the group.
I'm only a newbie and still learning from these great people. :up:

klassylady25

Johnboy

Gavh,

Welcome to the forum. Don't let this group fool you. The easy ones look that way until you get them downloaded, and you think what did I get into. That is were the forum comes into play. A lot of great help even on the "easy ones." One way I look at them is to copy an image I am considering out of the gallery and enlarge it on my computer looking at how difficult it might be. I am only on my third restoration but it takes time to do brain surgery (reconstruct hair) and I am currently doing plastic surgery reconstructing an ear. But when you are done it feels so good to look back where you were and where you end up. Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions we all do that. It is great having thousands of eyes looking at your stuff and helping you find those things that get over looked. Just makes for a better restoration.

Again welcome, and have fun. You will also note that when there aren't may photos to work on they can get a little wild.  :crazy:

Johnboy