• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hannie's new camera!

Started by Hannie, May 10, 2008, 03:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Before you get all excited, it is only a point and shoot!!
Specs: Canon Ixus 970IS (Powershot DS890 in other countries I think).  10 megapixels, 5x optical zoom and image stabilization.  It has a very short shutter delay and is ready to use in no time.
Got myself an 8GB memory card and an extra battery and away we go!

Most of my life I've used my Olympus OM2 and it was only earlier this year that I even used a digital camera (Canon Ixus V2, in Cape Town)
You can imagine my excitement at finally owning one myself! 

I have to say, it is amazingly easy to use and the results are good as well.  It is very, very small so I can carry it around where ever I go.  I'm especially impressed with the macro photos.
Here are some examples, enjoy!

Hannie

the lens was only 1 inch away from the apple

detail apple

Frankendael Park, Amsterdam

my miniature rose measures only 1 inch across the top!

never thought these pansies would bloom again

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ratz

Congratulations Hannie! The world of digital is your oyster! Yo can't go wrong with Canon.
Your pics are lovely :up:I love the macro shots !

weewood

Nice camera, Hannie. I like Canon also. They make good cameras, congratulations!
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

glennab

Hannie, great shots!  Obviously you're having more luck with your Canon than I've had with my Nikon (actually it's the operator, not the camera).  Canon was my second choice, and although I'm not sorry I bought the Nikon, I have to say I'm impressed with the detail and clarity of the photos from the Canon.  Congratulations on an obviously excellent investment! Have fun. (The flowers are exquisite.  I thought the miniature rose was a camellia.  Amazing how full it is.)

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Great shots Hannie. Don't you just love macro, such detail. :)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, your pictures look great! Your Canon has a lot of neat features--10 megapixels and the image stabilization and macro. Have fun!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Thank you everyone for the nice reactions!

Glenna I've had my miniature rose for a few years but it never bloomed so well  as it does this spring!  It is potted plant on my balcony! I hope you'll soon get used to your camera, don't be afraid to make mistakes.  When I was in South Africa we went for a drive with a photographer friend to take some shots of the scenery.  I asked him the next day if he managed to take some good shoots on his (7 day) trip to Namibia.  He answered that he will be happy if 1 photo turns out the way he likes it!   So we can relax and go on taking pictures of our feet and just maybe, one day, we are lucky enough to take that winning photograph!  ;D

Have fun,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not really upset about my initial, rather comical, experiences with my camera.  I just have limited time because of my job and a falling-down house that it's hard to get out and play as much as I'd like.  And, of course, there are those pesky, I-couldn-t-live-without-them restorations!

I have such wonderful material around here for photos (I have a friend who lives on a ranch in SouthWest Florida that abuts a state park.  He and his wife go walkabout in the park all the time and get the most exquisite shots of birds, lizards, flowers, you name it.  I have a standing invitation to do the same any time I want.)

Truly, I don't have to leave my yard to have so many subjects that it's amazing.  We were doing some house repairs yesterday, and within view were 2 lizards (I call them my mini-dragons), massive blooms of a frangipani tree, a burst of blossoms from a bleeding heart vine, a desert rose covered with flowers (and a partridge in a pear tree!).  I have a little gazebo that Lon built me that's filled with interesting plants.  I love multi-colored leaves, double flowers, anything variegated.  So as I get my butt in gear and start capturing this loveliness, I'll share some of it with you.  Florida actually means "Land of Flowers" and it's well- named!

I'll make a deal with you. Have fun taking photos with your Canon; I'll do the same with my Nikon.  Then I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Quote from: glennab on May 11, 2008, 11:29:55 AM
....I'll make a deal with you. Have fun taking photos with your Canon; I'll do the same with my Nikon.  Then I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Hugs!

Glenna

Glenna you are so naughty! :funny:
But it's a deal, can't wait to see those photos!  (and I'm still jealous of your backyard)

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

OK Glenna, I'm showing you mine!

Here are a couple of photos of the Raising Sand tour concert my hubby and I went to last night.
It was e real joy to see Alison Krauss, Robert Plant, T-Bone Burnett, Buddy Miller e.a. perform together so well, what a bunch of artists!

Nice to see how Robert Plant felt right at home with these musicians (who wouldn't anyway!).  Alison sounds like an angel, Buddy was his usual formidable self (fooling around playing Led Zepp riffs) and T-Bone Burnett still going strong.

Couldn't believe how fast 2 hours pass by, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and if these guys are going to be playing anywhere near you, you shouldn't miss this!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

I bet that was a great concert.  I have the Robert Plant/Allison Krause CD they recently released, and it's great.

Chris

Hannie

Yes Chris, it sure was!
There are not many musicians that manage to make life performance sound better than their studio recording. 
(Might have s.t. to do with  the fact that the bass, drum and guitar players were not the same guys that played on the recording?)

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

OK, Ms. Hannie – Now I'm jealous!  I'd better get out and take photos of some plants soon to catch up.  What a great concert that must have been!

I adore Allison Krause.  I've never heard a voice more angelic than hers.  Wish I could have gone with you.  I just (this evening) picked up her CD with Robert Plant (I expect they'll be as awesome as Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris.  Theirs is one great CD!).  Chris, if you like it, I'm sure I will.  I love that these "odd couples" are making wonderful music together, especially the "over-the-hill" bunch.  I found a gem at Borders this evening – a CD by Tony Joe White, whose awesome ALBUM I have from the early 70s and haven't heard of since.  He collaborated with Mark Knopfler (my favorite composer and guitarist!), Michael McDonald, JJ Cale and Eric Clapton. Gotta be great.  I'll let you know.

I'm rather hoping we get rain this weekend (my plants are fried because of the drought and water restrictions), but if not, I'm definitely going out and shooting the survivors (ugh, that sounds gruesome, doesn't it.  Let me rephrase that.  I'm going to take photos of the plants that still look good).  Amazingly, some of my plants seem to thrive on neglect.  Good thing!

Cheers!

G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Pelican

kiska

I spent about an hour cutting down poke salad in my back yard yesterday.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro