• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Tips On Sleeve

Started by Auset Anima, August 03, 2016, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auset Anima

Good day all,
This is my first restore and it was going great until I got to the of the man's shirt. His shirt has a very eccentric pattern and I wanted to see if there were any tips on going about the restore. My initial trial was copying and pasting the pattern as closely matched as possible and blending it in with the clipping mask. Please let me know of any alternative ideas or feedback.

April

Mhayes

Hi April,

Your are right about the man's shirt and in some ways the eccentric pattern is to your advantage. When you mentioned copying and pasting I think you are on the right path. I did a real quick and dirty. I also cheated with the wallpaper to your right. It should be more in the shadows toward the bottom.

First thing I did was take the marquee tool as shown with a radius of 2 so as to have a more soft edges. I did a Ctrl J  (Cmd J on Mac) to put that selection on its own lawyer and then I moved into place. I also did a Ctrl T to transform so that I could move into place and size. When I got to where I wanted I held down the Alt key and then hit layer mask. This should have been a conceal all mask and from there I change the foreground to white so that when I brushed over the area it would reveal this layer.

Once I got what I liked I did a Ctrl E to merge down (make sure you have your original layer below that one). I then started doing the same thing over in different areas. Once again this is a little messy, but it gives you an idea of how I would do it.

I'm not sure about the crease in the sleeve as it looks funny down the center of the sleeve. Good luck and be so happy he didn't have a stripped shirt. Post your progress. Also I did not do it right where his sleeve meets his shirt under his arm--there should be a line coming on down and darker.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Auset Anima

Thank you! This is more than helpful. I can proceed with confidence  ;)

Auset Anima

Finished the restored. C&C Welcome

Mhayes

You did a great job on the sleeve!  :up: :up:  I'm not sure how you do your color correcting, but your photo could use each of the channels tweaked in a Levels Adjustment--see previous post "WIP" by deearress.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Auset Anima

Thank you Margie!

I've updated the color and sent it off for approval. I use both a Retina Display Mac and Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 (Windows). The Cintiq has digital pen support and is easier to do the restore but suffers from dull display compared to my five year old Mac which is running on its last leg. Figure I'll do the color correction on my Mac before the restored session on my PC in the future.

It's such a wonderful learning process through mistakes; I can only hope to get better as I go along.

Mhayes

Thanks! I got your restore and it looks great. I'm watching Bambi's Gallery for the weekend. If she needs anything else she will contact you. You are free to choose another.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]