• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Please have a look at this one....

Started by GP, May 08, 2008, 02:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GP

:)

I would love to hear your opinions on this latest restoration. I have been working on it far too long, and can't tell anymore what's right or wrong.
The sitting woman and the little girl in the middle needed extensive plastic surgery on their faces. How did it turn out? Also the lower part of the image needed some creative reconstruction, does it look right?
As always, I greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions/critic to get this ready to send home.

:loveit: Gerlinde

PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

klassylady25

You've done a great work on this one.  I think the family will be very pleased.

Candice

Ausimax

Hi Gerlinde,

Nice job, don't you just love these old photos - I think with this one I would be inclined to return a copy with a sepia tint as well.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

mschonher

I know what you mean about working too long on a photo and loosing your perspective on the progress. This looks great but I agree with Max that it should have a sepia tone to it like the original.   :up2:

Mary

glennab

Hi Gerlinde

I've been wondering why you haven't been posting much.  Seeing this challenge gives me a good idea!

I think you've done a fantastic job on a very difficult photo, and the only thing I see that gives me any pause is the seated woman.  If you convert the image to CMYK and look at the combination of Cyan and Black, it shows her face as being a bit fuller than it is on your final.  It's evident enough that my ancient eyes picked it up. That's the only tweak I'd do.

I'm with the rest of the crew in thinking that this is a perfect restoration for a sepia tone.  For some reason that seems more natural than the B&W.

Especially considering where you started, you've accomplished a masterpiece!

Cheers
Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Gerlinde, It is wonderful to hear from you again!
What a beautiful restoration.  You managed to bring back the faces really well, the owner will be so pleased to see what you have done to this old photo.
I have a very minor pick, the one thing that I noticed was the background on the left could be a little smoother and the front (seat) of the chair a little darker. 

Great job Gerlinde!

:hug:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Good call on the seated older ladies' face.  The jawline needs to be fuller. If you come down from the ear that should give you the right proportions...Great job

Mary

GP

Thank you my friends  for the encouragement and great suggestions. I knew that I can count on you.

Candice, thank you for your nice compliments.

Max, I will definitely give it a sepia tone before I upload it.

Hanni, I like your version, it has the more finished look to it. I will do my best to replicate this.

Glenna and Mary, the lady's face is a tough one. I have it redone over and over again. You may not be able to see the problem to it's fullest extent  on the low res. version. Parts are peeled off in a forward direction, it's squished in on the right side, and pulled outward on the left side.
I used the "pucker tool" of the liquify filter  to close the gaps and than moved everything back in place with the "warp tool". Maybe I puckered her a little too much, I will give her some sugar to fatten her face a bit.

Glenna I'm really sorry, that I have not been active here at the board lately. I don't know who keeps shortening my days every week. I have to many projects going on and can't keep up with everything. And you are right, this picture has taken up more of my time than I expected. And I blame it on Chris, she made it look so tempting in the gallery. I always fall for that, I should know better!

Thanks again everyone, I will post back with the finished version soon.  :up:

Gerlinde

Tess (Tassie D)

You've done a beautiful job Gerlinde. :up2:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Gerlinde, for heaven's sake, don't apologize for not posting as often as you had been.  I've missed you, but I know about those full days that whiz by and leave you reeling!

Here's a wonderful quote from a cartoon I've had posted on my bulletin board for years: "When I get up every morning, I seize the day.  The problem is that it always manages to escape by noon."  Sound familiar?

Hugs

G
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

OPRAng

Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

GP

Here is my final version ( I hope). Softened  the shadows on both sides of the sitting woman's face to make it look fuller. Evened out the background behind the boy, fixed the seat, and added a sepia filter.

Thank you all again for your help!

Gerlinde

Hannie

Gerlinde, that looks just right!

Great job!  :up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Gerlinde, it looks beautiful!  Your attention to the details is marvelous.

Mary

glennab

Hi Gerlinde

You've done a fabulous job on a very tough restoration!  Kudos.

Cheers

G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)