• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Identify this statue?

Started by Tess (Tassie D), October 05, 2007, 06:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

I have this pic with a statue in it between the girl and another woman. It is missing from the waist down. Any ideas?

Click for large view.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

klassylady25

What else is around the picture Tassie - the surroundings?  Is there a location by any chance?

Candy

kiska

I would think it's a full body statue.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Charlene5

Is this the same statue?  In another life I worked in an academic research library and I still love the thrill of the hunt.

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

klassylady25

Simply overlay says that it's the same.... now where is he located and how did you find it?  I love the hunt also, but came up empty on this one.

Hannie

MJ, that is amazing!  How did you do that!  There must be thousends of bronze statues all over the place and you managed to pick the right one... :wnw:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

I started with the picture.  In the background I could see a door with glass in the top so it probably wasn't somewhere that got too cold in the winter.  The girl seems to be wearing a jacket, so it's not the family summer vacation (unless she lives in the UK where there is no summer) or spring break.  I did a couple photos from this family and remembered that they were from Biloxi.  A lifesized bronze statue is very dear, so I guessed it was in a large city.  (Where I live a statue is a giant inflated gorilla on the roof of the car dealership. It is not a large city.)   If it wasn't vacation then she was probably not too far from home.  I did a Yahoo image search on (I think) "public statue New Orleans"  and got a lot of dead generals on horseback and angels in cemeteries.  I changed the "public" to maybe "outdoor" and kept looking.  After 150+ images I found him.  He is Jack the Butcher and he's in New Orleans. 

Glad to be of service :)

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

Jack the Butcher, I like that. MJ, you are a regular Sherlock Holmes! 
I'm trying to think how gorillas are associated with car sales but I gave up... :)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

:wnw: Thats amazing MJ, no wonder I didnt have any luck searching for famous historical people. I spent hours looking for bronze statues and also got all the people on horses etc. Thanks to everyone who looked as well. I couldnt tell if they were posing with a bust on a pedestal or lifesize.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Nice work MJ! 8)
I guessed it was in Mississippi and did a search on statues but couldn't even find the 'dead generals and angels in cemeteries'. :-[

Hannie - below the inflatable giant gorilla is usually the sign "Monster Sale".

glennab

MJ, I've seen some fine sleuthing on the forum before, but I think you take the prize!  That was a masterful discovery.

Cheers

Glenna

P.S.
An interesting side note:  Here's my favorite statue in St. Petersburg.  The artist, Paul Eppling has similar statues of animals all over the city, and all are comprised of junk he collects.  The Security Lizard is special, because the lower body of the insect is a huge light (hence "security" lizard).  He's visible from the interstate, and what a sight he is!  He protects the fleet maintenance building for the city.

Paul Eppling, 1995 – Steel, car bumpers, glass, street light, traffic signal lens license plate (from the city of St. Petersburg's web site)

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Gotta admit Glenna, that ones cool!!!!

Tess (Tassie D)

That is some statue Glenna, at least it looks like a lizard. A lot of the modern stuff these days I can't figure out what they're supposed to be.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

That is a great picture, Glenna!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]