• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

How far is enough

Started by philbach, March 17, 2013, 08:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

This photo has numerous artifacts in it.  Lots of blocky, jpeg like blocks in the original.  I was wondering how far I should go to "smooth" out the artifacts with a denoise filter, or should I just leave it pretty much as it is?  Thanks.

phil

bjtx

Phil, now that is really a bad dose of jpeg artifacts.  Recently, I dealt with some artifacts by using the healing brush, since it retains texture better than some filters.

I took the liberty of working with the image to show the results of using the healing brush.

Should you wish more details, I will be happy to explain.  (btw: cloning was used on the face & part of the picture on the wall )

When you mention denoise filter are you referring to PS filters or another sofware?
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

philbach

Thanks bjtx and Tori.  I'll proceed.
phil

philbach

Well I have moved along with this photo.  In an attempt to keep texture I used the healing brush tool.  Let me know what you think I should do now.   Thanks.

phil

lurch

<C>

philbach

It does, Lurch.  Thanks for noticing that.  After you pointed that out it jumps out at me now. 
phil

lurch

What I neglected to say is how well you've done with the overall image. There's some damage remaining (circled) and a few clone tracks (same circle). Just saw them - so I'm as guilty as the next guy about selective blindness after staring at the same image for a while  :cool:.

Also just noticed an inconsistency in wall color.

You did a great job with the jpeg artifacts. They were a bear!
<C>

Hannie

Amen to that, those jpeg artifacts were a horror.
Great job!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

bjtx

:up:
(the original photo artifact reminds me of email image attachments of the past and/or jpegs saved at the lowest quality setting possible.)
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

philbach

Thanks.  It turns out that they may go back to the original and find out why it was compressed so aggressively.  Perhaps they will post the photo back in the gallery. 
phil