• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Bride & Groom

Started by jaytrumpet, October 04, 2012, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaytrumpet

Thought I would run this by the community for some feedback. I have a strong urge to straighten this photo as it lists to the left a bit but I don't think that's allowed. This photo might also benefit from a vibrance adjustment layer too, but I wanted to see what you all think.

Mhayes

Hi Jay,

I'm fine with your straightening the photo---see if you can keep the same dimensions. Your color correction looks good, but you need to take the greenish discoloration on the wall on your left.

Nice job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Jay,

You did a good job.

Judging from the signature stamp, the original photo was slanted.  If I were you, I would probably leave it slanted.  As for the vibrance, I agree the photo can take some enhancement.  Butfrom the choices of the flower bouquet and the dull poinsettia, I am guessing that the bride preferred subdue colors.  You might want to be gentle on the vibrance especially the carpet.

The backdrop above the bride's head has a little discoloration.  You may want to touch it up.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Jay,

Shujen has a valid point as to the photo being slanted originally and best to leave at that. I went back to our original copy before any cropping or straightening on the copy stand. The problem with the angle is with the photographer and not with us. When I straighten and cropped this photo, I go by the straight edge of the photo. I went back to the original and ignored the photo's edge and used the ruler on several straight edges within the photo and that caused more problems. Why? Because it would straighten one part and make another worse.

It's great when we can restore a photo and icing on the cake if we can make it better than it was originally, but we're not here to correct flaws in their technique. The one exception would be that we color correct which a lot of these photos had their white balance off to start with.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

I straightened the photo by using the ruler and drawing a line from point A to point B.   After that I selected the signature area, made a layer via copy and nudged it to straight with free transform.  The photo is the same dimensions as the original. 

Margie, would you consider this to be an acceptable improvement for this particular photo?  I do agree with you that as a general rule 'we're not here to correct flaws in their technique.'

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Pat,

Very nice job and yes, I would find this an acceptable improvement.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great restore, love Pat's straightening as well!

I can't help but wonder if perhaps the walls and dress should be a little whiter?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

Thanks to all who chimed in. I tried to take in all the suggestions and repair what I could. The only one I didn't get was Shujen's comment about the discoloration above her head. I cleaned up the veil on top right of her head, but I don't think he was referring to that. I straightened the picture it a bit and adjusted the photographer's signature/logo accordingly, whitened her dress a bit and brought up the vibrance in her bouquet and on his vest and cravat.

Let me know if I went too far.

Jay

schen

Jay,

You have made a great progress.  I really like the way you enhanced the vibrance.

The discoloration I was talking about is that yellow cloud on the red backdrop.  If you go to green channel or blue channel, it will be much more obvious.

To remove the green discoloration on the wall, it may be easier to do a saturation layer and take saturation way down then mask out everything else except the wall. 

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

jaytrumpet

Shujen,

Thanks for your help. I took your advice and made the back walls on the left and right whiter with an adjustment layer. I recognize the yellow halo that you pointed out. It is very slight and when I tried to remove it I made a total mess of it! How would you go about getting rid of that?

Jay

kiska

One way is to make a new empty layer set to color, sample some good red and build paint over the yellow. I did the same on the cross with white from the bride's dress. On the curtain, I then blended the new painted areas with the healing brush.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

jaytrumpet

How is this? The "yellow cloud" is barely noticeable I think.

Bambi

Nice work Jay. And two great tips that everyone can use. Thanks, Shujen and Kiska!

Bambi

Mhayes

Looks good, Jay!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]