• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Lost in translation - a moderate skill level meets a difficult image

Started by KCarlon, March 01, 2007, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCarlon

I'm new to the forum, and to this level of photo restoration frankly. I took this image to help clear up the backlog of difficult photos but after many hours am afraid I've bitten off more than I can fix. I've been reading the forum looking for tips and have been learning lots but still think I'm taking the long way round. Channels and adjustment layers are new to me so I'm not sure which are effective for this situation. Can anyone offer some basic, how-to-get-started tips?

pcraft

Hi KC...  I believe your best bet would be to post the photo you are talking about..  There's a great bunch here that would help you all they can, but would need to see what the photo you have is like..  It would also be wise to let the forum members know what program you are using for your restorations..

There has been more than a few members that have taken on more than they could chew. But have been helped through some very difficult restorations, much to their amazement and have come through them exceedingly well..

Good luck with your photo KC..

Regards Robert

KCarlon

Thanks Robert

Now if I could just figure out how to post the image . . . feeling computer illiterate right now!

As to the software, Photoshop CS2, and I've done lots of work in grayscale images for history books, and minor stuff in colour in the past. This is the first big project.

KC

pcraft

I did a quick search and found this from Kenny...  Hopefully this should help.. I use Photobucket myself but either should be about the same and free..   :)

Quote from: Kenny on September 12, 2006, 11:30:34 AM
Hey Sonya. Don't worry about having trouble posting images. I was the same way when I first started using forums.

First of all, do you have an image host? Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us are the two that I use.

• Upload your image to the host of your choice
  • Copy the code the image host provides for you (for forums)
  • On the post reply page, click the icon on the left..right above the smileys that looks like a little picture
  • Paste the code from the image host in between the IMG tags

Post your reply and that's all there is to it. You can test one if you want and if it doesn't work out look at the top of your post and you will see a "Modify" button. Click that and you can always remove the pic if it doesn't work.

Kenny

Ausimax

Hi KC,

Welcome to the forum, its great to have new members using the forums, there is a lot of expertise available amongst members who are only too glad to help you. As for your level of experience, I started here knowing very little about a multitude of things in PS CS 2, and whilst I still don't know a lot, with the help of my friends here I have struggled on to do a few difficult restorations. So just keep on trying and posting and I am sure you will get there. :up2:

I use ImageShack for my forum photos, it has the advantage that there is no limit on the number of photos you can have on their free account, so you don't have to keep deleting to maintain space, that way your images are still available in old posts.

If you use ImageShack you don't have to use the IMG tags they are included in the link they provide.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Quote from: Ausimax on March 01, 2007, 09:06:16 PM
Hi KC,

Welcome to the forum, its great to have new members using the forums, there is a lot of expertise available amongst members who are only too glad to help you. As for your level of experience, I started here knowing very little about a multitude of things in PS CS 2, and whilst I still don't know a lot, with the help of my friends here I have struggled on to do a few difficult restorations. So just keep on trying and posting and I am sure you will get there. :up2:

I use ImageShack for my forum photos, it has the advantage that there is no limit on the number of photos you can have on their free account, so you don't have to keep deleting to maintain space, that way your images are still available in old posts.

If you use ImageShack you don't have to use the IMG tags they are included in the link they provide.

Max

Same here. I use Photobucket for some things, but for quick image posting, imageshack is hard to beat. Imageshack even has a nice browser plugin for uploading.

Don't be afraid to post what you have. I know I felt overwhelmed when I first saw how damaged the photos were. We'll help you along and you'll get more advice and opinions than you might want  ;D

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi KC

I'd like to add my welcome to the rest and to reassure you that no matter how tough the restoration, you'll get through it with help from your friends (us).  I'm pretty experienced, but I wouldn't have gotten through my difficults without these guys.  I'll be looking for your post, because I'll jump in, too, if I feel I have anything to offer.

Best wishes!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

KCarlon

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the welcome. I think I posted the image properly, wasn't sure which of the many links was the right one to use so  took a guess. I've got the neck and most of the face cleaned up on the boy, a bit of work done on the baby's face, but not a clue how to approach that hair!

I'm looking forward to your comments,

Thanks
KC

Kenny

Hey KC. Unless you posted it elsewhere, I'm not seeing your image.

If you're using imageshack, copy either the hotlink for forums and then paste it in your post. It should show up.

Test:

Ok, it works on here  :P

If your image is really large, imageshack will also display the code for thumbnail for forums. I use this one if the image is over 600 pixels wide.

If you pasted the code in your last post and it didn't show up, or you just see something you want to change, look at the upper right corner of your post. There will be a link that says Modify. You can edit your own posts that way. (I use this a lot )

You'll be an old pro at posting on here in no time  :cool:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

kjohnson

Hey Kenny,

Wasn't that long ago you were helping me figure out how to post images here. Such friendly, helpful service!

Ausimax

KC,

If you are using ImageShack, you have to right click the thumbnail image and select View image, when it opens go to the bottom of the image and click on "Get Linking Code" . Then in the bottom half of that page is the code for forums, right click and copy.
I have tried the code it generates on the main page and it didn't work for me either, its a pain you used to able to get all the code with the thumbnails.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ziaphra

Is it just me or am I the only one seeing what looks like a negative image? It certainly doesn't look like something that would be posted in the OPR gallery...

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

RosyBijou

I couldn't see the link to the image either...

Regardless, welcome!  We all just do the best we can.  Know that you are surrounded by lots of talented & friendly folks who will help out in any way they can-- (Guess that's just the nature of OPR! :))
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

Ziaphra