• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Broken Links

Started by Mhayes, July 11, 2008, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Lately I am noticing that after a post goes cold, the attached photo is removed. I can understand the need to keep the numbers of photos in storage on the Web down, but on post where the photo is part of a tutorial or a lengthy work in progress, this is a real loss. A lot of us bookmark these sites to revisit when we have a problem or to refer that link to another member. Yesterday while talking to a lady whose photos are close to printing; I made mention that she might enjoy seeing the WIP of one her photos. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that this fairly recent post had all of photos removed. Luckily, I could send her the link to the before and after gallery.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

weewood

I did not realize that the photos should be retained in Photobucket. I usually delete them after the photo is restored.

What do you think is a good time period to wait before deleting? Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Hannie

David, I don't think you need to delete your photos in Photobucket.  If you exceed your limit (don't even know if there is any?) I'm sure Photobucket will let us know?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

That is hard to answer, because for those who bookmark the post the hope is have it there forever. I also realize that it clutters up your Photobucket with photos you no longer need. Maybe it will be a case of leaving the link for a month or two and for those who want to save the post, they will need to print out the post. Maybe somewhere down the line, we can put some of these into a PDF format for a more permanent record and replace the need for a web link for photos. I am open to any suggestions on how best to handle this.

Thanks.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I did some Googling and found that there really doesn't seem to be a limit.  The only restrictions I could find were upload limits, for instance:
Flickr             100 Mb  per month
Photobucket   25 Gb(!) per month, that is a lot of photos!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I tend to leave most of mine up. Photobucket allows an awful lot of photos and I even refer back to ones I've done to find suggestions people have given on techniques.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

I didn't realize how generous Photobucket was with their limit. I agree that it's a good idea to keep the link for future reference.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

klassylady25

ImageShack is pretty good, too.  It is my primary but I use Photobucket because there are times with ImageShack can be quirky.