• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What song are you listening to right now?

Started by Kenny, October 04, 2006, 11:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi Chris

I'm a music junkie with extremely eclectic taste, so I'll let you know if I discover any other gems.  One of my favorite things is sharing good music and books with other enthusiasts.  Stay "tuned!"

GG

Amazingly, I learn about a lot of interesting music on NPR.  I heard a segment on my way home from work about Raul Malo, the former lead singer of the Mavericks, who's released a wonderful CD of love songs.  He sounds so much like Roy Orbison it's amazing.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Hi John

I finally took the time to go to Pandora at lunch today.  What a great web site.  A wonderful way to discover new artists (one of my favorite things).  Thanks for sharing that information.  You made my day!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

John, thanks for the tip about Pandora, great find! Unfortunately I can't register because I'm not in the US,but great to be able to have the music playing as I work. Thanks again.
Vicki.

zapphnath

I already knew about Pandora and, yeah, it's a great site (I just got an email from them about some new addition, today, in fact).  Everyone should check it out.  I think I originally found it through DIGG.

My tastes seem to be quite different from the average (or, at least, of those who've posted):  besides the occasional foray into 70's rock (for nostalgic reasons), I usually listen to heavy, industrial, head-bangin' music.  Lately, I've been listening to a lot of SystemOfADown and Rammstein.

clinttmbg

Nice to see another industrial fan here....  :wow: Chemlab's Oxidizer playin' in my office.
SNK for life!

glennab

Hi Volunteers

Just an addendum.  I've been listening to Mac Broussard's first CD and his "Authorized Bootleg" (oxymoron?) of the concert for Katrina victims, and this young guy is a blues genius, besides being wonderful for letting us use his "Home" song for the OPR Movie. I just ordered his latest, but don't have it yet,  That's the one with "Home" on it.  I couldn't get it from his web site.  Sold out!

Also, check out Howie Day, a Maine native who reminds me a bit of John Mayer.  His "Stop The World Right Now" CD is kick-butt.  Has kept me sane listening to both of them under headphones at work as the "tornado" personalities whirl around me.  I discovered Howie when his song "Collide" was background to the ending of a Cold Case episode and I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Check them out!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kjohnson

I've listened to Marc's stuff several times now, from either youtube or his website. Also, if you looking for a wide assortment of a-z to listen to. A being Allman Brothers, not sure what z would be. oh there is no Z, just goes to Y=  Neil Young. Anyway, check out   http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

Oh yea  its a free site, but requires registration.

glennab

Keith -- what an interesting site!  I'll be spending some time checking it out this weekend.  One of my greatest joys is discovering new music.  I may be an oldie, but I so appreciate the new talent I've been hearing. Thanks!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kjohnson

Yes, and you get to choose who & what you want to listen to from their list of performers & play 'em as often as you like. So if you're busy with the clone stamp & in need of some tunes to help pick up the alt > click pace --- music from Blondie, The Cars or G Dead should make the tool perform much better. 

BeauW

If any of you are be-bop/free jazz fans, I'd recommend the album I'm currently listening to: "Balaphon Dance" by Khan Jamal. I always wonder why nobody plays jazz like they did back in the sixties- well they do, I just hadn't found it. This album is from 2002. Sounds so beautiful. (Think of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" as a reference point)

glennab

Hi --

I've been blathering on (so unusual) at work about Pandora and no one has taken me up on trying it.  My associate in the art department decided for some reason to check it out today, and she was incommunicado under her headphones from then on.  Kinda tough when we're collaborating on one of our largest pubs.  But neat that she likes it.  I've been getting information from Pandora about the "science" behind the sound of the music I've chosen for my radio stations, and it's been fascinating.  What a great web site. Thanks again John for letting us know it exists.  Today I heard a song by My Friend The Chocolate Cake.  Who the heck is that?  And it was a good song -- from "The Best of My Friend The Chocolate Cake." ?????

Any of you music lovers who haven't checked it out are missing a wonderful collection of every sort of tune imaginable, and obviously some of the weirdest names ever for musical groups!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kjohnson

Pandora was featured the other day on NPR about how the sites a great way for new artists to get air time these days.  Think the segment was mainly about how they (recording biz) may start charging a license fee of some sort to smaller, independent radio stations for playing over a certain number of tunes. 

glennab

Keith -- Sorry I missed that one.  I normally listed to NPR morning and afternoon, but the last 2 weeks have been "beg radio", so I've opted out until they're back to regular programming. I hope the recording business doesn't cause Pandora and sites like it to lose out. Not that the attitude surprises me.  Gotta make that buck!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)