• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Max's Latest.

Started by Ausimax, November 03, 2006, 01:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Hi Glenna,

Glad you think it is an improvement, it is starting to look better I think, I am only doing this as a learning exercise, this doesn't conform with OPR guide lines, I had to import the hair.
Required a lot of manipulation with Distort and use of the Liquefy filter to make it fit, plus a lot of pasting to multiple layers to get near the money. The greatest problem I am having is cleaning up around the edges of the strands of the bangs and general outline. Ever wondered why the mouse is called that? most people think it is because of the general shape and the cable that looks like a tail! WRONG! Its because when you try to trim around objects in an editor, it leaves an edge that looks like it has been chewed by a MOUSE.

As for becoming a guru, only in our dreams, I must be getting old I think, I keep reading and learning all these great methods and tips for doing things, then when I need to do it (a) I can't remember how to do IT and (b) I can't remember where I read it to go and check it out. early symptoms of "Old-timers Disease" I think.

Keep at your couple Glenna, I know you will come through in the end, I know I have had a few like that, no matter what I did nothing worked, and then you give it one last try and Hey Presto, and then you are wondering why you couldn't do it in the first place.

Have Fun, and if you can't have fun, try and enjoy your misery :funny:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Max

I can relate to your "Old-Timers Disease", but I call it the CRS syndrome (as in can't remember - I'll say stuff, but you know the word I really mean!)  I go through the same thing.  I have accumulated a huge library of books and tips and tricks I've saved from my trade magazines -- but when I need to use a technique, I can't remember where I read about it.  Frustrating!

To be honest, I'm enjoying the challenge of the Army couple.  I'm not SEEING any improvement yet, because I'm experimenting to figure out what will work best.  Deciding what details are important and what to let go of is my main dilemma.  There's so much in the photo -- the plants, the marble behind them, the chairs, the drapes with unidentifiable objects on them.  Just have to get it all straight in my mind.  It'll come to me.  Thanks for the encouragement., though  That's always appreciated.

Trimming around objects is really tricky, but I still feel that the best way in most cases is to use the pen tool.  There are also some great tips on creating masks for unevenly edged areas, such as fly-away hair, fur and things like that in Katrin Eismann's book on restoration.  You might want to check her website  (I believe it's PhotoshopDiva.com) and see if she has any tutorials on that technique.  I know I've seen it elsewhere, just can't remember where (sound familiar?).

Gotta get.  Need to get my beauty(?) sleep.  Since I'm taking next week off to be with my grandkids, I'll have to work my tush off tomorrow to get caught up.  We're on 3 deadlines and trying to get our website refurbished.  Way too much work for a 3-person art department!

I know you're on the other side of the world, and St. Petersburg probably isn't of much interest to you, but if you go on the web site discoverdowntown.com, you can see some of my work.  I design many of the ads and the covers.  We have a young IT guru who has done some awesome work getting the site as elegant as it is, and our art director has worked his butt off to get everything working and looking good.  We're really proud of it.  I'd love your opinion.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Glenna,

That is an impressive site, you have done some really great work there, St Petersberg looks like an interesting place, I'm always interested in seeing and learning about other places around the world, one of the best aspects of the web is that you can still travel even if you can't leave home.

Thanks for the link to the Katrin Eismann site some really useful stuff there, there is just so much to learn about PS, every thing you read brings forth something new, the challenge then being to retain and benefit from all the knowledge, and I am such a slow learner, still have trouble coming to grips with masking and blending modes.

The tutorials on using the healing brush tool and the patch tool are very useful, I have to admit that the patch tool had not been high on my list of most useful tools, but after reading the tut and finding out how it works, I think it will be getting a lot more use in future, especially now I understand about making and using patterns.

Getting near time to head for the sack (bed), not going to be sorry either, its been one of those days

Regards,

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Ausimax

Hi Folk,

I haven't had time to do any work the last couple of days, not that what I'm doing is of any use.

I agree with Kenny on his thoughts on sharing the work on the last photos, I see that this one I returned  has not yet appeared back in the gallery, so if anyone would like to have a go at it I would be more than happy to provide the hi-res JPG image with the face restored for them to work on.
Only problem is uploading the image file, both the original image and my restored image are about 3 Mb each, and I don't have a photo host that allows uploads that size, the largest is 1.5 Mb and that would loose too much resolution.
I may be able to email it, but have my doubts, I have never successfully sent one that large, always seem to get half way through and the server drops out. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

The only other way may be if I upload the image to PhotoShelter, and you could contact Becky or Dave to get access to it, I will upload it today as a first option, and if you have any other ideas they would be welcome.

This is the image available, most of the face has been done it only requires the hair and toss in a background.

If any one can help I would be very grateful, I would like to see this one completed.

Max

Kenny

Max, www.rapidshare.de is a fairly good host for transferring large files. As far as I know, you don't have to register and the file size can be up to 100MB. What you do is upload it then give someone the link.

Not me though, I suck at hair  ;D

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

Boy could I have used the file transfer site this week.  We have an advertiser who had to get a very large file to us and since I didn't know such a site existed, we had them send a disk, because we don't have an FTP site.  Definitely will check it out.  Great information.  You're a walking encyclopedia on electronics.  I share your tips & tricks that apply to our jobs with my cohorts at work, and they're quite impressed with all the information we share on OPR.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Checked out that site last night Kenny, certainly seems like the answer to being able to share large files, couldn't get much info on the type of files you could upload, however I imagine you could upload PSD or Tiff files with layers, could be very handy.
Only snag, they have up a notice that all their drives are full at present, will keep checking the site. Meanwhile we  may have to wait till the photo is returned to the gallery, haven't been overwhelmed by volunteers so far anyway, there is so little traffic on the forums of late you wonder if anyone other than the "terrible trio" are visiting.

Max

Ausimax

UPDATE!

I managed to upload the Original and Restored files to RapidShare this morning, so if anyone wants to take this photo on, PM me and I will PM you the links.

Max

havril

Thanks Max I have picked it up through Becky

Harvey