• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Juliet's Newest Challenge

Started by Juliet, July 20, 2007, 03:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

So, after a good success with the first picture,I got a little cocky.  If the first one was borderline difficult, this one is definitely a challenge.

I really wanted to preserve the entire picture, if possible and avoid cropping.  I was lucky enough to find the polygon for sale on Amazon (I wish I had a jump-o-lene!).  But there are some parts that I'm really struggling with and could use some guidance.

Questions:
1.  What is that shape?  It seems too dark to be a shadow, considering the diffuse nature of the rest of the shadows.  If it weren't so slanted I would say it's a doorway.  Any thoughts?  Is it just damage?

2.  What should I do about this little guy's missing foot?  Do I leave it as damage?  Put another foot there?  Cropping seems like it would remove too much of the photo.

3.  This is the shape on the Jump-o-lene that I'm having the most trouble with.  I had to  make it from scratch and I feel like that really shows.  Are the dimensions right?  Any suggestions on making it look less fake?

4. Following the line of the carpet from down where the balls are puts the carpet at a weird angle (too high).  Should I make up an angle that seems more likely?  There is the possibility the Jump-o-lene was in a corner.

5  Any other comments or improvements?

Ratz

Hi Juliet, you are doing an amazing job on this, it looks fantastic!
The jump-o-lene doesn't look fake to me, the only thing that jumps out is the shading around the bottom ring
(the transition from original to reconstructed) could use a little more blending.
I agree about the angle of the room, it is possible it was a corner, it just looks too high otherwise, give it a go and see how it looks.
It's hard to say what the background shape is, a doorway doesn't seem likely at that angle, I would probably continue the wall color all the way through as it isn't a major part of the image.
As for the foot! Sorry, you're gonna have to build one as we can't use body parts from other places. I wouldn't crop it off and it seems a shame to leave it as it would spoil a really beautiful restoration.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Vicki

Ausimax

Hi Juliet, nice work, I generally agree with Vicki, I think your floor line is pretty spot on, the unidentified object, is not likely to be of importance so I would loose it, the focus of the photo is the child, so if you can construct a good foot you have it nailed.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

A beautiful job so far. I think the object is the shadow from the pole. whatever it is.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

You are definitely beating your challenge with flying colors.

I am afraid you have to make a foot.  Kurt has a tutorial about how to paint in B/W then color it.
http://www.oprworkshop.org/forum/index.php?topic=434.msg3712#msg3712

The replacement part you got from eBay fit really well.  The only thing I will do is to darken it using burn tool.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

You do a portion of a foot that you can use.  Copy it,  paste on new layer, use the warp tool to move it into place and then reconstuct the ankle to calf area.  You reconstructed the jumping toy so well that I know you can do the foot!   ^-^ 

John

WOW!  That is an awesome job on the jump-o-lene.  A+ for accuracy AND research!   Remember that that corner will probably be partially hidden in a frame or behind a mat, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.   This is my first look at the picture and I couldn't even tell, the recreation was that good.  Don't get handcuffed by perfectionism, the little guy in the photo will be the main focus and those inflatable type toys all have their inherent imperfections to the point that a little difference here or there is expected.

The only other thing that I can see being easily overlooked is the rigt foot pedal on the boys tricycle.

Awesome work and congratulations on doing such a nice job on this.

Juliet

Thank you so much for the encouragement!  I think I'm getting close to done.  Please nit pick away.  I'm certain there are things that I'm not seeing at this point.

klassylady25

Give the heel just a bit more round to the back.   I do believe that you're just about there, too.   Great work!

sanbie

Bravo ...excellent restore!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ratz

Looks great Juliet! you did a fantastic job on the foot, as Candy says, just a little more roundness to the heeel and you're there. Well done :up: