• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Glenna's Toughest Yet!

Started by glennab, June 26, 2007, 11:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPRAng

Gerlinde gets the "A+"! The important part of these restorations is restoring the memory not the fluff in the background. I know how hard it is to leave a part of a photo up in the air, but it would be wrong to interpret too much and accidentally add the wrong thing. We want to preserve a memory not create something that was never there in the first place. That being said, this restoration will certainly keep you busy just on this lady--which is where you should put your time and effort. Don't sweat the other stuff and don't add anything either. For all we know it isn't a mirror or a frame, but something else entirely. When this family gets the photo back we want them to say "wow--look at her", not "what the **** is that thing in the background?!?"

Many of you have head this song and dance before. If you are new, feel free to ask any of us questions or you can always refer back to the guidelines (always a good idea as a refresher).

Thanks for all the hard work you all do for these families. It means so much to them and to us.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

glennab

Gerlinde and Ange, I'm in total agreement.  That's why the background in my restoration doesn't incorporate any of the odd shapes that are barely discernable.  And evidently it looks very plain online, but I have a subtle clouds/fibers texture on the background.  Getting the background in and masking out the debris allows me to concentrate on this lovely lady and her gorgeous dress.  I've a lot of refinement to do yet, but whether I agree with every post or not, I love these discussions because it's fascinating that we all perceive things differently, and it gives the restorer more information and perspective from which to decide how to proceed.  I also believe that it's a great exercise for the volunteers who take the time to check out someone else's project.  I've learned almost as much trying to help other volunteers figure out their dilemmas as I have while working on my own.  As the younger generation says these days, "It's all good!" and "Awesome!"

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

How did your lovely lady turn out Glenna?
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Tess

Thanks for checking in.

She's coming along well, except for the face.  Her eyes are causing me incredible problems.  I managed to get her right eye to look like an eye, but it doesn't seem to fit her face.  Am going to spend a few hours on her today and will probably post her for more comments.  I've asked hubby, who has a good eye for detail to take a look at her before I start and give me some feedback. I want to come up with a better background, but I'll wait til last for that. I did find some texture in the upper corners of the portrait, but it looks like a pale tan concrete, and when I tried to use that it looked so awful with the light dress and her skin that I'm not sure what I'll opt to do.

I should have had her completed long before now, but I've been working overtime, and I can only handle so many hours on a computer before my eyes start to cross.  My work days are spent on a Mac doing graphic and web design with very little break, because we're a small company that publishes 6 quarterly tourist guide-maps and are trying to develop web sites for each publication with a 3-person art department. (Man, could I use John's expertise!  I get so confused.  CSS doesn't work well with my right brain!)

And, of course, I have to put in my requisite time on the forum.  I love working on other volunteers' challenges, because I learn tremendously from working on their issues as well as reading feedback from anyone else jumping in to assist, and that helps with my restorations.

I'm hoping you'll see her later today.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Boy oh boy, do I need feedback. 

For reference again:  The original

I worked on this for five hours today, and I just can't seem to get the details of her face to my satisfaction.  Other than color issues, I'm okay with the rest of the image, but because of the awful seepage on her face, I can't seem to get it right.  I spent a lot of time studying different versons, colors, layers, channels, etc., and there's so much of the image missing.

It almost appears that she's wearing a ring, but I can't make out any detail -- just a slightly lighter area at her "ring" finger.  Hubby helped me decide that she does have her hand folded and is holding on to something that looks like part of the dress -- as if she's holding it up or away from something.  No folds are evident, so I can't even be sure of that.  I can't imagine that she isn't wearing a necklace, and I can see what look like pieces of it in places on the left, but not enough detail to feel that I can render anything realistic.

I need all the eagle eyes I can get.  HELP!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

I think the eyes are looking left and thats why they dont look right to you...I did a quickie!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

schen

I have no eagle eyes and this is what I see.  No folding fingers and a rectangular watch with hands (like a Cartier).

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

phischer

I don't know if it is just because of the damage, but it looks to me like in the original, her eyes are looking off to the side rather than straight ahead.  It looks like she should look to her left. Also, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the ear in your version bothers me.  >:D (I mean that in the nicest way, of course!) I know there is very little info to work with in this one, it is darn near impossible in my opinion. The shading along her neck and chest should be blended a little better as well. There is a sharp contrast between the light and dark areas that doesn't look natural. I also don't know if that blue color is the right color to use for the background.  I would use something a little closer to the overall brown tone that she has.  The blue tends to dominate the overall image a bit when the background should be just that...the background.  I'd also give it a gradient of sorts with the darker tones along the bottom of the image. There would definitely be shadows behind her and the chair.  This is a tough one...kudos for trying.
-Phil

schen

I agree she is looking left.

And I think I see pearls.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

sanbie

I agree with the ear to...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

klassylady25

By klassylady25 at 2007-07-16

Earrings, watch, and necklace.  I shared earlier that I thought they were pearls, too.  Chen and I agree.  Glenna, perhaps try to brighten her up just a bit.  I know you're not done yet so will concur that the eyes, they may well be looking stage right (to the left) and one last thought; I, also,  believe that her fingers were extended and the thumb tucked.

She sure has come a long way.  You've done a marvelous job  :hug:

glennab

See message above.  I didn't realize that the smartest cat in the world also figured out a way to post my message while he was turning off the UPS.  Love that guy!  Anyway, I didn't want you to have to ready through all that again! G

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Thanks again guys for taking the time to look her over.  I actually have a plain plaster background with a gradient that's dark on the bottom.  I'll eliminate the blue and see if you think that's the ticket.  Don't know why I'm so stuck on the blue -- stubborn old woman!

As I mentioned when I posted, I know I have color work to do yet, especially on her skin.  I want to get her face and hair more like the original, but it's really difficult to see what should be where because of the run.  You've given me more to think about, and I appreciate it.  Refinements will come once I feel her image is acceptable.

May be a couple of days before I get back to her.  My closest friend is having her knees replaced tomorrow, and I told my guys at work that they were going to have to live without me, because it's imperative that I be at the hospital while she's in surgery.  Then I'll have to make up the hours, as I did this evening, so I'm pretty much toast and expect to be for a little while.

I'll at least try to stay in touch.

Stand by!

Glenna

As I was finishing this, but hadn't yet posted, Scooter, the smartest cat in the world, stepped on the off button to my UPS.  Stink-wad!

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Hi!

She's baaaaaack!!

Hubby left for Jacksonville early this afternoon, so I had a stretch of time to work on my lovely lady.  Because so much of her face was obliterated, I've been struggling with her features.  I'd appreciate any feedback before I send her home.

Original for reference:

(perfect way to spend the afternoon: work on restoration while listening to NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me podcasts and inhaling a huge rootbeer float!  Life is good!)

Cheers!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

You've done a wonderful job on it Glenna. I had a play with it in between photos, hope you don't mind, it's nowhere near as good as yours. Do you think her hair is straight or wavy. I went wavy with it as I thought that would be the style of that era.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]