• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello!

Started by puravida, March 04, 2010, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puravida

Hi!  I am a 28-year old occupational therapist from northern California who does photography and retouching/photo editing on the side.  I have done some photo restoration work for family and friends and am excited to learn more and be part of OPR.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer for a couple of years and during that time lost at least half of the pictures that I took, including all the pictures I took of the little girls that I spent most of my time working with.  It wasn't due to natural disaster, but it still broke my heart.  I don't know if/when I'll see those little ones again, and when I do they will surely not be "little" girls anymore.  So needless to say I'm excited to be able to help other people salvage precious memories.  The newest adventure in my life is being a mother to a 2-month-old, so I will be doing what I can during naptimes.  I am excited to be a part of this amazing project!
Jen

glennab

Hi Jen

Welcome to OPR from Florida, and congratulations on your new baby!  Two adventures all at once.  Lucky lady!

I'm getting close to the 4-year mark with this awesome organization, and it just gets better and better. Working on the restorations is the joy of my life, since my kids are grown and grandkids are nearly so.  I think you'll be happy you joined, because not only will you have the rewards of returning people's nearly-lost history to them, but if you choose to participate in the forum, you'll learn more than you'd ever expect as the rest of us try to help each other slog through the muck, post observations and share tutorials.

I can't imagine a more wonderful group of people, and our newbies enrich us even more.  I'm glad you're with us.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Jen, welcome from Kansas and we are happy to have you. What an interesting career you have had. Where did you work while in the Peace Corps? I think you will enjoy it here and your background will help. Sorry to hear about the loss of your photos. When we do copy runs (taking photos of damaged photos) it is heart breaking to hear of photos that have been lost, but so rewarding when we can restore others and send them back to some very happy families.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Jen,

Welcome for southwest Ohio. Are you sure you want to take on two major tasks at once? By that I mean restore photos and raise a baby. The best to you. Now we can help with the advice on restorations but not sure about how you will be able to post the baby when asking for advice in that arena. Been there done that.

Hey gang I think you missed one of the important points that Jen has to offer. She is a therapist. Right now the kind doesn't matter. We have needed this type of person in our group for years, a therapist. Perhaps if she had joined earlier we wouldn't be in our messed up states of mind from doing restorations. Jen in time you will begin to understand my comment or just go back and read some of the older posts from years past. It will all start to make sense. Do you think she would do a group rate if we all get on the cooperate jet or the cooperate bus and just show up on her door step. I am sure she would take us up on the free baby sitting.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Oh my! It did escape me, but then those who need help never know until it is too late.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Who's in need of therapy...therapy...therapy...therapy...   :D

Hannie

PS
Welcome to the forum Jen!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

We don't need no flipping therapy.  Head jerks to side.  Head jerks to other side.  Drool slips down chin.  Strange sounds emit at odd times.  Eyes cross.

See, we're just fine!  Sheesh, JB!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Boy I am glad somebody in this group has their head on now is that straight or backwards.  :crazy: Anyway it is great to have a therapist among us. Of course with Jen being and occupational therapist we may need that for our next restoration. Jen, do we get free hand waxing after we have moused too long? My wife has had that in some past therapies and says it is wonderful.

Johnboy

P.S. Jen, by now I hope you have found out we are not all work with no fun. It doesn't take much to set any one of us off on a tangent.

puravida

Wow!  Thanks for all the support!  I look forward to learning more from you all.  I just uploaded my first photo (phew!) ...I picked a kind of simple one to start with... it will probably be another couple weeks until I pick up another one, because I am leaving town to visit family.  Thanks again for all the support!!

Also, since I am actually working with children right now, I am low on access to the aforementioned hand waxing supplies (it does feel wonderful), but I'd be happy to give any one of you a free ride on my scooter board or hammock swing anytime--that's what I call therapeutic! ;)

Jen

Mhayes

Jan, I would like 1st dibs on the hammock swing.  8)

Thanks in advance!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Darn, Margie. You beat me to it.  A hammock swing sounds heavenly.  That, a good book, some cuddly fur-butts and a ton of Niquil and I'd be set!  Especially as the weather's getting Florida gorgeous.  Whoo hoo!

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)