• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

ONLY in Florida.

Started by glennab, January 19, 2010, 03:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

And which of them painted the sign, do you suppose?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

TerryB

Is it true that Florida is the only state that has none of these road signs?:
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Hannie

Glenna, I had to look twice before I realized those weren't logs!  ;D

Over here we have our own share of roadside dangers...

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Terry, you would be spot on about no alien signs like the one you posted being seen anywhere I've been in Florida.

I do have a "Do not molest the alligators" sign in the pond across the street from my house (it's part of a park). I would wager you don't see those where you are. As would seem appropriate to me, the "logs" along the side of the road by the sign are on Alligator Alley, which crosses the state south of me (fortunately fairly FAR south).

Hannie, your roadside "dangers" don't eat people's pets or remove legs and arms from captive humans.  We also have some of those lovelies across the street. People walk around the pond constantly, and the ducks & geese are VERY well fed!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

TerryB

Glenna:

One of the local golf courses (on Isle of Palms) has a sign posted showing a tipped-over golf bag icon and reads, "PLEASE DON'T FEED THE ALLIGATORS." Golfers here occasionally lose an arm from reaching in a runoff pond to retrieve a ball and the slower neighborhood dogs are a quick din-din. Even see 'gator roadkill once in a while.

Is this off-topic for a photo restoration community?

Will Hannie get the whip after us? :mad:
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

glennab

Yes, my friend, we're off topic.  I think Ms. Hun will forgive us.  She has some making up to do for the muck machine escapades.

Earlier on we "chatted" more often.  Talked about our favorite music to listen to while restoring, shared photos of where we live, discussed our companion animals.  A little harder with more and more newbies joining.  It would be nice to know more about them, too.

As for the gators, I'm amazed that you have them up there.  Are they indigenous or are they being pushed north by all the population growth further south?  Now they're being pushed from the Everglades by monstrous pythons that morons have turned loose when they're too large to control any more.  We do live in an interesting state!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Here around the great lakes, the most scary animal is the Asian carp which is much tamer than what you have down south.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/01/19/court_wont_close_shipping_locks_to_keep_out_carp/
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Keep the photos coming as this is a fun post and we could all use a laugh!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Shujen, those fish don't look too fearsome; however I do know how badly imported creatures can destroy the local environment.  We have a lot of that down here.  There are "walking catfish" that will actually cross land if their water supply dries up. They've decimated some of the indigenous fish.

Just as an aside, a friend gave me a really pretty set of salad dishes and a matching platter in the shape of fish.  Lon hated them.  So I'd kid him that he spent too much time "carping" about my fish plates.

Yes, Margie, more photos would be great.  We haven't taken a break from posting WIPs in a long time.  I'm enjoying this, too.  Please reassure Terry that we're allowed to do this.  I don't want him being concerned that he's about to be lashed for not staying on topic!

Hugs!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

GK,

Asian carp is a generic name for more than half a dozen species transplanted to North America.  Many of them were found in the great lakes already.  I know the possible environmental impact of introduced foreign species.  I am afraid it might be too late for carps at the great lakes.  We should encourage more consumption of carps.  That way at least the population could be under control.  I found them sold at about a dollar a pound at Chicago Chinatown.  Cheap healthy source of protein.

Shujen
Shujen Chen

glennab

Shujen,

But how do they taste?  I'd hate to have to carp about the carp! I do love fish, however, so I'd have no problem helping to reduce the population.  How do you prepare them?

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Steam, pan fried, whatever you like.  They have a texture on the tender or soft side.  They do have bones.  But so does trout.
Shujen Chen

glennab

I LOVE trout.  One of my fondest memories from when I was very young was of my grandfather going out to the stream directly behind my grandparents' house in New Hampshire, coming home with a basket full of trout, and frying them for breakfast with all the other fixin's.  He was a chef by trade, so needless to say, anything he made was awesome.  I haven't thought of that in many years, since we lost him when I was 18.  Thanks for the memory!

Stay warm!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

My husband grew up in Louisiana and used to go fishing with his grandfather on the Bayou Maçon. His strongest memory is of water moccasins (poisonous snakes) dropping into the boat from the tree branches above. The grandchildren were out of the boat in a flash. Granddaddy used to say they could walk on water! To this day my husband isn't very fond of fishing.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

All this talk of fish is making my mouth water...

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]