• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My latest restoration

Started by mschonher, January 18, 2008, 04:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

Hi all, this is the first post in a very long time....I probably didn't even do it right! Here goes anyway. I'm looking for comments and critiques especially on the hair and clothing[/img]
I hope you can see these...........Mary

mschonher

Hannie

Hi Mary, looking forward to seeing your project, hope you can get posting thing to work for you!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Hannie,
I'm having trouble resizing the "after photo" for whatever reason it's showing up on the preview GIGANTIC. I'm not at all good at posting my work and that is why I seldom do.
I need feedback on the 50's hairdo and dress. I'm thinking of changing the dress to a high neck oriental style......I hope you can see these.....Mary >:(

Ausimax

Mary, what a marvellous restoration the hair is great. :up:

Can't help you with 50's dresses, however I did blow out your original with Shadow/highlight and I think she is wearing a graduation gown, and as it is apparently a graduation photo that would make some sense.

Check out Schen's recent posts he posted a link to a site that tells what colour gown etc they would be wearing and the text tell you what she graduated at.

Hope this helps.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

schen

I am guessing that was not a picture with graduation regalia for three reasons:
1. she did not have a cap or tam on.
2. she was in English Lit and the hood should have white velvet.
3. if she had her gown and hood on, there would have no need to write down "graduate student".

http://graduationcapandgowns.com/mastershoods.html

I do think she was wearing a tall collar dark color dress.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job. :up: I'd agree with schen about it being a high collar, dark dress.
The only thing I could really find on 50's hairstyles was this.

http://www.donbrockway.com/Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20dinah%20from%20negative2.jpg

I'd guess she has some waves in the hair.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Mary,

You are quite an artist, the hair looks fabulous!
Even though the dress you made her looks so good, I agree that she should wear a dark, high neckline/collar dress.  In the original you can see some folds of the dress but not much detail.  You could try and make it look like that, not much detail and very dark.  Makes a very striking contrast with her face!

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Guys, thanks for all that input. The dress was a judgement call on my part. In my thoughts the pose and makeup and lighting are very dramatic too dramatic for a graduation photo,so I went with a more formal neckline. I'm not ruling out the high neckline just yet though. Is it my imagination that the emulsion has just run all over the bottom of the photo? I see a hint of skin on our left hand side on her neck. I did research hairdo's of the 50's and I looked at photos of my Mother and aunts around that era and I came up with her "do" again a little formal looking to go with the general feeling of the photo......Mary

mschonher

Ausiemax, I can see by the blowout, as you call it, that I made her neck too long and didn't get the positioin of her shoulder right either. I will work on that and re-post the results later. Fresh eyes are what I needed. I don't think it's a grad photo though.............Mary

Ausimax

Hi Mary,

You may be right about the damage to the lower area, she is unlikely to have such a high collar dress for that period, and should have some neck visible.

Actually I like your first version, other than the neck being a bit too long, and I'm sure the lady in question would be flattered.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

Mschonher, actually it looks like a regular picture.  The blouse appears to be of the pull over, or  a zip up the back, variety blouse.  It also appears to be a mock turtle neck and they only come a portion of the way up.  

My 2cents Worth
Candy

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

That would be close enough Kiska.   :up2:

mschonher

Hi to all who have kindly given me their input. Here is a rough draft of what a high neckline would look like. I still don't have the right shoulder just right but I'm still working on it. I'm not sure if I need to lighten up the background now, what do you think? The idea of a zip up the back blouse had a good ring to it because I think I'm seeing some folds in the fabric too...on the right shoulder.............Mary