• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Opinions Requested

Started by Lorraine, July 27, 2007, 02:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

Hi all,

I would appreciate some guidance on this restoration.  Most of the face and all of the hair on the woman is missing. 

My question is -- should there be long hair on the right side of her face?  In the original it looks possible, but it also could be damage.   I looked a few photos of woman from that time period and all wore their hair piled up with no long hair showing.

I've uploaded cropped sections of the original photo and two potential versions of the restoration.

Any and all opinions/critiques are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lorraine

Original

Without long hair

With long hair

schen

Wow :up:  That is an amazing restoration.

I don't think I see anything there or not there.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Johnboy

Lorraine,

You have done a great job especially with the top of her head and the hair. I don't see anything to work with in the channels.

As for the hair, I can see that it might be hair. Looking at the shoulder line there appears to be something lying there similar to what you show in the second version. I would suggest that if you go with the second version that you may want to add a little more hair next to the neck as it seems to be that way in the original if that is indeed hair. Maybe you submit both just to cover the bases. No matter what she looks great to me.

Johnboy

Lorraine

Thanks schen and Johnboy for such quick responses and nice comments.

I like the idea of submitting both versions :up2: Thank you, Johnboy, for that and the idea of adding more  hair around the neckline.

Lorraine

phischer

Very nice job so far.  I don't think it's hair. It looks like damage to me.  The shapes there are consistent with other damage above her head.  I also think that you may have made her eyes a bit to "wide eyed". She looks a bit like a deer caught in headlights.  I think she does have that look to some degree in the original, but your version needs a very slight adjustment.

Lorraine

phischer, thanks for your comments. 

I've been struggling with the eyes, although the original eye was very clear.  I might have the whites too white.  I'll try taking the brightness/contrast down a little.

Lorraine

sanbie

Just to throw in more confusion...I think she just has her hair pulled back and pulled to the one side...I think that is hair...and also a tad on the other side as well but it is sweeping towards the curly side!!
I think the white in the eye...you may be right about been to white as the eye actually looks the same as in the original...

Awesome job on your restore!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Hannie

Hi Lorraine,

You have done a wonderful job!  I do think that it is hair showing on the side of the neck.  It looks like a photo of a really young women, a girl even.  It was not uncommon for girls to wear their hair that way in those days.
The eyes really look like they are in the original.  I tried and used the burn tool just a little on the whites and the highlights of the eye and that makes them more natural looking. (I still have some trouble posting images so I can't show you.)
I am attempting to restore a really old photo and only wish I was where you are now!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ratz

Hi Lorraine' you are doing a great job with this so far.
I would vote for hair also,although you don't have much to work with in this one.
The eyes are a little too bright, otherwise they look just as original.
Good work!

Vicki

LSC

think it IS hair and the style would be compatible with the styles of that period. Great Job! --Lee

Lorraine

Sanbie, Hannie, Vicki and Lee  --

Thank you all for taking the time to look at this and for your opinions.  I thought it was hair originally but then had doubts.  I've also worked on taking the eyes down a little.

To everyone, after seeing some of your work and that of so many others, I really appreciate the extra time and effort that you all put in to help me out.  It's so great to have objective opinions after my eyes can't see what I'm working on anymore.  :hug:

Thank you all.

Lorraine

sanbie

That looks so good...well done!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats come up great. :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie