• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

any suggestions?

Started by kjohnson, November 21, 2006, 01:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjohnson

Comments or suggestions are welcome, thanks. A first post, hopefully the images appear. Keith

Kenny

I don't see the images, Keith :(

If you're using the image uploader on here, that might be the problem. Try using a picture host and posting the image code. I personally use www.imageshack.us for quick posts because it's quick and easy.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

kjohnson

Oops, here's the images (put in the wrong code in previous post).  Any suggestions? Thanks

cmpentecost

Hi Keith,

You've done a really good job on repairing the damage on the man.  It appears he is standing in front of an airplane??  I only know a few people who fly; military, commericial and hobby, but the airplane is a BIG thing to them.  If this is an airplane he is in front of, I think I would reconsider cutting that out.  It looks like the background is fairly decent, so perhaps it won't be too hard to keep that part of the photo.

Otherwise, nice job!

Christine

Kenny

Christine, you have better eyes than I have, because I can't tell WHAT the heck is behind him!  :D

Good restoration. It seems to have a greenish cast to it. I would give it more of a sepia tone.

If that is a canopy behind him, you might add it back and just clean it up a little.

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

kjohnson

Oh think its a plane? I thought it might be a car. And I did consider trying to keep the background (whatever it is).
But thought I would be guessing at what it is, or isn't. Someone else thought the background "thing"  was a result of the photo being damaged.

But yea I could fiddle with the tone.

Leah M

Hi Keith, and welcome aboard :)

I also get the feeling from the photo that the background is fairly important to keep if possible.  No matter what it is, car or plane, it doesn't seem to be in bad nick overall, and may preserve another depth of meaning to the photo.

I'd best get back to the baby.  The pic I mean, I'm lagging behind here!

Leah M :)

paula

I think he is sitting with his right leg is crossed over his left.

glennab

Hi Keith,

Welcome to OPR!

My husband, who's a car and plane expert, says he thinks the man is sitting in front of a jeep.  It appears that he's sitting on a curb (the second step) with his legs crossed and his hands grasping his knees.  I also wonder if the very prominent vertical line is damage.  I can't imagine what else it could be, unless maybe it's a fold that has become enhanced by the damage.

You did a wonderful restoration on his face and torso, but I'd concur that you should leave as much of the detail as possible in the background. 

Have a wonderful week.

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hmmm.....I never thought about him sitting.  I thought it was a plane because of the height of the windows and what appears to be a steering wheel.  Hard to say what it is. Good luck with it!

Christine

kjohnson

Version 2 with the background put back in & tone changed. Looks mo' better, thanks for your inspiration & assistance.

cmpentecost

Keith,

You've done an excellent job on this, and I think that if you were to return it to the original colors (which I'm assuming is what is in the first photo you posted).

Nice job!

Christine

kjohnson

Back to these original colors? Hmmm. Oh man. Maybe I should have repaired the orignal version of the background in color instead of b&w , then masked it in. Or maybe at this point I can paint the colors back in - to its hand-colored appearance?

pixelz

Hey there,

Well that shouldn't be too hard to do - sample the colours from the original and paint back onto seperate layers set to "colour" mode - colour should flow over your detail nicely. You can then add masks to those colour layers to remove anywhere you've gone out of the lines as it were.

I reckon you were prob justified to drive it to monochrome intially to start work on it. I foud it SO much easier on the healing brush, stamp and patch tools!

Good job man!! very nice!  :)

G
The saints are coming ...

Kenny

It looks like a hand tinted photo to begin with. I would just sample each color and paint it on it's own layer set to color and adjust the opacity as needed.

I love doing this to old black and white photos. I did one of my neighbor's mom a while back and it makes me smile every time I go over there and see it hanging up :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?