• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

57 Layers of Paint and Alien Skin Swirl

Started by Charlene5, November 30, 2007, 07:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlene5

Does anyone who was in Biloxi know the story behind this picture?  It's an old studio shot and I had great fun doing it.  I know that Paramount had squads of retouchers standing by who did it the old fashioned way without Photoshop (shudder) so I had no qualms about putting it back to a real 40's glamor shot.  The hair was the hardest part.  That's the 57 layers of paint plus Alien Skin Eye Candy Swirl filter.  Please pick at her.  It was the only picture from this family and I want it to be right.

Cheers,
MJ

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Ausimax

Hi MJ,

You have done a great job so far, I think I liked the sepia effect of the original, if that was the original effect or just ageing is probably debatable, it just seems to have more life with that effect.

My other pick is the face, the skin seems to lack texture, its like some of the fashion shots you see where the skin is over PS's and looks plastic.

Old photos like these always present a problem to me, how do you deal with them, if the discolouration is due to age it has probably been like that for all the time the owners can remember, are they going to be overjoyed to get back a pristine B/W, or will the photo have lost some of its magic? I know some that I have done, after all the work I sort of preferred the effect portrayed by the damaged version, a dilemma.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

MJ,

She's looking good! A few minor things you may want to change. The restored picture gives her mouth a pursed looked, which I'm not sure if that is because the corner of her mouth is turned up. Also, did the original give a hint of teeth or is the white just damage? Maybe darken some of the shadows around hair line, hair parting, under chin. I'm also wondering if maybe a little more shadowing between the corner of her eye and the bridge (not the part that looks like the imprint of glasses) of her nose. These are all little nit-picks.  ::)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

Max I suffer the same dilemma with b&w vs sepia.  To avoid making a decision I usually send both and let someone else decide :)  I went back and revisited the original and I think it was that gray-sepia tone - or maybe the damage was so thorough that I can't find any trace of the original?  Here is version 2 incorporating the suggestions of you and Margie.   The white-ish on her mouth was a whole boat load of Jan's white dots.  I couldn't see any teeth.   I deepened the shadows and added some grain to it.  Now would you please be so kind to look again?

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

MJ, don't shoot me, but her mouth still doesn't look right. I may be helping you to make her look worse, but it looks like she needs to have the corners of her mouth lengthen not shortened.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

klassylady25

Easy way to check that out MJ is to take your ruler guides and see.  Optical allusions do happen after looking at things for a while.  She is looking great.  I'd love to know more about her, too. 

Ausimax

Thats looking much better MJ, agree with Margie about the mouth, and to me there appears to be a smudge on her forehead and the background just at the hairline.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Charlene5

Removed blotch in background, measured mouth.  It was exactly 2.4995 inches/6.3 centimeters from the middle of her pouty lower lip to the corner of her mouth and I have adjusted accordingly.  No need to apologize Margie, I know that you enjoy tormenting me  :funny:

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

Easy does it MJ, take a deep breath and relax. I think you need to measure her nose next, okay just kidding! Her mouth does look better but I can still see a little of the smudge. This may be a case of my resolution being too high. Is it me or is her picture getting lighter?

Moi torture  :halo:

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Charlene5

You're right, she did get lighter.  Don't quite know how I did that.  Fixed that and are her smudges OK now?

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi MJ,

What a pretty photo and what great job you did, her hairalso looks really good!
The reason that her mouth may appear a little pouted I think has to do with shading of her nose and mouth, I tried to show you what I mean real fast and sloppy. 

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie,

That looks great! It's amazing the difference some shading can make.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]