• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Quagmire

Started by Mhayes, August 07, 2007, 01:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

I'm sending the original wedding picture that I started two weeks ago. After about 20 some revisions, perhaps it is time to admit being in a quagmire. My next post will have the newest revision, which is getting progressive worse. The bride is workable and still has more work, especially around the eyes, mouth, hair and gown. The groom, I'm beginning to think I can't pull off. Since, there is no detail in any of the channels; I thought perhaps painting in skin tones might bring back the face. Instead what has happened is the groom is reduced to looking like a cartoon or cardboard cutout.

I tried on one revision to use what looked liked a section of curtain in the lower right hand side.  I very carefully built on that and it did at least give a better background. Only problem is that it looked liked 15 or more Pulis (corded Hungarian water dogs) had been used to make the curtain.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

What can I say--the picture says it all!

Here is the original:

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

OPRAng

Thank you for trying so hard. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that this is a toughie. I hope the next one your try works out better for you. Thanks again for all your work, we really appreciate it...

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

sanbie

It is hard when you get a toughie like that...I know how you feel...Hope the next one you pick you feel more comfortable with...and a big kudos for having a go at this!

SAnbie
paintshop pro X1

Mhayes

Thanks Angela and SAnbie for the words of encouragement. Would it pay to mask out the groom and try to bring back what little there is? Also, in previous revisions I blurred out the background because it is so distracting, but is that a no-no? I know if it is done too much, it gives a surreal feeling.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Margie,

You have done a great job on the bride.  Perhaps you could finish her and just leave the groom's face as it was in the original photo with just a little touch up here and there.  The background seems to have no detail at all so a little blurring would not hurt!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks Hannie, I think that is how I will finish it up, since I've come as far as I can.

I noticed that you are in Amsterdam, which really blows me away to know how far out OPR reaches. How did you hear about OPR?  What seems so amazing is that 10 years ago or less, this kind of operation would not have happened.

I would be interested to know how others found out about OPR--maybe I should post this under a different thread? For the record, I discovered OPR when I went to download some examples to work on from Katrin Eisman's website. The website had examples from her book on Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. I figured when I saw the offer to help OPR with Katrina rescues, that I was too late to help. How wonderful to see that it is still going strong.

Being a newbie, I wonder if any of you have ever started a project and found yourself a little overwhelmed with what you have taken on.

Kansas native  :)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

You're welcome Margie!   
Yes isn't the internet fabulous? (five years ago I married my childhood sweetheart from 30 years ago, thanks to people search on the net!)
I tumbled on OPR when I was looking at the Youtube site for some tuts on photo restoration.  That  OPR video really grabbed me and I couldn't wait to join. Overwhelmed, yes, I'm doing my third project now and thought this last one would be a breeze, NOT!  I have been cloning and spothealing this photo for 2 weeks solid and it's still not right!
(love the Eisman book!)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Margie

You've made a valiant effort on what I'd consider a virtually impossible restoration.

You might want to check out some of the threads in the Tool Bar.  There is one toward the beginning about how we all found out about OPR.  (I found the plea for help on NAPP's e-newsletter.)  In fact, the Tool Bar is a wonderful place to wander just to get to know more about the rest of the volunteers.  There are some quite eclectic topics, but it makes great reading.

As for feeling overwhelmed -- I haven't gotten one yet, even a relatively easy one, that didn't stop me in my tracks at first.  I'm a glutton for punishment (as you seem to be!) and I love to grab the really tough ones.  I had to return one unfinished, because I just couldn't get a face right.  It killed me, but I wanted it correct and figured that someone with fine art knowledge would be able to discern where I was going wrong.

I've said this several times, but I think as a comfort to our newbies we need to collect in one place all the remarks from volunteers about having no idea what they'd gotten into until they downloaded the image.

You'll do great with help from your friends on the forum.  I'm glad you're with us!

Bless

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Margie,

I found out about OPR the same way, through Eisman's website.

Every one I worked on was much more difficult than I thought.  But every difficulty was as great lesson.  It's been fun learning and helping others at the same time.  Besides, this is a great group of people.

Welcome.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Glenna, I like the idea of one place for the "newbies" (sounds like we just came out of incubation) to go for information.  Things are pretty much spelled out now in the different headings, such as the FAQ, The Tool Bar, and General Techniques. As the forum site continues to grow, some of that information may get buried deeper, which I wonder if a PDF for newcomers might be a good solution.  That would allow for indexing of different subjects and easy printing.

Schen, I love how your last project came out. I agree about how it becomes a learning experience. Thank you both for the welcome.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, are you a psychic?

I just submitted a pdf outline to admin of a comprehensive overview of OPR, and how to navigate PhotoShelter, get onto image hosting sites for posting on the forum and anything else that's created challenges or questions, not only for our newbies, but also for the rest of us.  It'll be helpful to have a reference document to go to if we forget how to do something or have a query about what we should and shouldn't do when working on our restorations. I think it would give everyone more of a comfort level with the workings of OPR.

I'd also love for us to have an area in which to post tips and tricks, because this forum is a wealth of information, but I find that when I need a technique I've picked up here, I can't find it again half the time.

The thing I hope everyone keeps in mind is that OPR is relatively young (less than 2 years old), and it's been a learning experience on many levels for all of us.

Angela periodically posts thank yous from the people for whom we've done restorations, and that's when I realize what a worthwhile venture (and adventure) this is.

Cheers

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Glenna,

I'm not sure about the psychic part, but I think after struggling with this wedding picture I may be going pycho! I think your idea is great! There is so much information out there, that sometimes it's hard to remember where it's all at. Plus, I think a PDF would be easier to make changes as they come along.

I am so impressed with what has been accomplished in two years and how much hard work is done by those in charge. It is nice to have a group of people that really go all out to help each other and to make newcomers feel welcome.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

OPRAng

OPR was first conceived in January of 2006. At that point it was a trip with Dave and Becky heading down to Pass Christian, MS. We had no idea that only 19 months later this is where we would be. It was a project at first, now we are an organization with 1200 volunteers around the world, a website, and a forum--pretty cool, huh?
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

klassylady25

Pretty cool when you consider how it came together Angela.  You just never know do you?