• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Newspaper Bride

Started by jaytrumpet, September 01, 2012, 11:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaytrumpet

I am stymied on this one, don't know what to do! This photo of the bride was scanned in from a newspaper clipping. Had there been more of an article I would have tried to replicate the print but, as most of it is cut off, I just worked on the image of the bride. I brightened the image as best I could and tried to minimize the moire pattern, then I dealt with the staining on the newsprint. It still looked crummy! Since I have had some experience coloring photographic images I created some colored adjustment layers and tried to breathe some life back into the image. I doubt this is kosher with OPR but I thought I would give you the option.

I am open to suggestions. What does OPR want for this image? What is expected? It is a little strange working on a newspaper clipping.

jaytrumpet

Did a little more work on her. Tried to clean up the background and her skin. It's better, but still sucks!

Mhayes

Jay, the first thing I thought when I saw this was that you shouldn't be restoring a newspaper clipping, but when I looked through the family's photos that is the only one of the wedding. So it is not a reference photo. I would not colorize this photo, because I don't think there are any other photos to compare. In the clipping I'm guessing she is a blond and does not have dark brown or black hair.

What I would do to stay on the safe side is change to B/W (still in RGB mode for printing), then duplicate your layer. On the top layer try doing a Gaussian Blur to about 2.8 or less. Then do a layer mask as a conceal all. Then paint back in with a soft brush set to 67% opacity and brush over her skin and only. This will give a better blended look. Make sure to change her hair so that it looks more like the clipping.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

OK Margie,

I tried the suggestions you made (and more) and came up with this. The gaussian blur didn't do much for her "skin" but there isn't really much info to work with.

Mhayes

Jay, I would not blur anything but her face and especially not her veil. Here is what I got and I would work a little more to even out her neck.

The first is your one with color and the 2nd is your B/W. Notice how the veil on the second does not look as good as the first.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

OK Margie,

Here is another. Let me know if it is closer to what you want for her.

jaytrumpet

Oops, I forgot, she's a blond!

Mhayes

Jay, I like everything but her hair, because if doesn't look blond. Yes, I know this is a B/W, but look at your original of the newspaper.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

Mhayes

Jay, I don't want to be too critical as this is from a newspaper clipping, but what I don't like is that the hair is too smooth and flat, but it maybe the best that can be done. There are two tutorials on hair on our website and both are good: http://www.operationphotorescue.org/portfolio/tutorials/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jaytrumpet

Margie,

Thanks for the articles, some great stuff, I enjoyed perusing them. I tried one of the techniques on this version to give the hair some texture and make it look more filled out.

Considering all the other stuff that is wrong with this image it's kinda funny that you would single out the hair as what's bugging you, but I appreciate the comments and the help.

Mhayes

OK Jay,

QuoteConsidering all the other stuff that is wrong with this image it's kinda funny that you would single out the hair as what's bugging you, but I appreciate the comments and the help.

Excuse me, you are talking to a woman and hair is very important to us. I think I will let you redo this one many times.  :funny:  Yes, there is more stuff wrong with the image, but it is off a newspaper clipping and will never look as good as a regular photo and I'm good with a more artsy look.

Where would you like me to send you some magazines on women's hair styles to help with your restore?

:knuppel:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

I just wanted to let you all know what could be done with this clipping. I only did part of it (face, hair, and bodice) and the masking is very rough (I would never send in a job so badly done!) but it does show what is possible. Started out by pre-treating the screened photo - made a smart object out of it and then applied the despeckle filter twice, followed by the median filter at 1 pixel. Then turned it to b&w with the black and white filter, taking care of the stains in the process. After that all that was needed was frequency separation. I only cleaned up the texture layer; if one were to do the whole background this way one would have to clean up the blurred layer too. This would be a lot of work. Instead I made a new gradient backdrop and added noise to it. (Thus the badly masked cutout.) All manipulations were global ones.
<C>

Mhayes

Lurch,

That sounds good, but why not show us your results?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Woops - I forgot the photo  :-[

<C>