• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another Michigander!

Started by gwilson, September 02, 2011, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwilson

Hi, I'm Gloria from Michigan.

I have just completed my first restoration and got a small taste of the difficulties I will encounter with these projects! I am delighted to see all the examples of completed work and all the help available: this site is a complete practical classroom in photo restoration. I can see spending a lot of time here!!
Is this the best place to post my completed image to get some good critical feedback as to tone, saturation, and suggestions for improvement before I take on another photo?

Thanks,

Gloria

Pat

A very warm welcome to you Gloria from another Michigander!  We are so happy to have you as part of our family of restoration volunteers.

You will find us a fun and friendly group ready and willing to help, with tips, tricks and suggestions here in the forum.   Scroll about a third of the way down the FORUM HOME page and you will see under OPR WORKSHOPS the headings Easy, Moderate, and Difficult.  You will post your photo for critique in one of those categories depending on the amount of damage to the original photo.

Looking forward to seeing more of you here in the forum.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mike S.

Welcome to OPR Gloria,

We love to have more Michigan Volunteers.  Since you jumped right in and did your first restoration I am sure you will love the work.  It is very satisfying to know someone will cherish what you have done for many years.  You are already making a difference.

Thank you for your help
Mike S.

schen

Welcome from the other side of the lake.  I am anxious to see your first restoration.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Hi Gloria,

Welcome to OPR from Kansas. Yes, the forum is the best place to get feedback on your restore. You will always get feedback from your distributor after you have uploaded back to PhotoShelter. The nice thing about the forum is that it is a great place to get help and different approaches to tackle a problem.

Great to have you!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Gloria, welcome to the forum!
I am so glad your are working with us to restore photos for flood victims.  You are right about our "restoration knowledge base".  I'm always amazed how much our volunteers know about photo restoration.  Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new.

Oh yeah, there are some folk lurking around here saying horrible things about the distributors.  Don't believe a word they say because they lie!  We only send out the best photos with minimal damage and we never have any remarks after you upload your finished restore. 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Welcome from Las Vegas, Gloria. You are about to meet some of the most talented, dedicated people in the field—and see the worst damage a restorer can imagine. (The distributors don't really run them through the mucker-upper machine before they send them out. Don't believe the rumors!) The talented members and the skills they are so willing to share make this worth all the time you'll spend here. Please post in Forum. I'd love to see your first restore.

Bambi

Johnboy

Welcome to OPR Gloria from southwest Ohio. This is a great and fun place to be. You will always get great advice from the volunteers. When you post put up both the original and the restoration. That way we can see where you started and where you are at in the post.

QuoteOh yeah, there are some folk lurking around here saying horrible things about the distributors.  Don't believe a word they say because they lie!  We only send out the best photos with minimal damage and we never have any remarks after you upload your finished restore. 

Talk about snide remarks. Hannie, the whip can go both ways. I am not taking this personal but it sure sounds familiar from another recent post. Gloria, take our advice and just be cautious. The distributors are like the proverbial used car sales person. Tell you one thing and sell you something else. Did you notice the long nose at the end of the paragraph. It didn't copy over so you have to go back in the post to see it. That little dude says it all. For further information check out "Good evening from Pennsylvania."

I have a feeling I'll have to lay low for a few days after this one.

Johnboy

Pat

Johnboy you're more mischief than a barrel of monkeys lately.  The forum is fast becoming the gold standard for a quick morning pick-me-up. 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mike S.

Good morning Johnboy,

If you need a place to hide, Michigan is not to far north.   Schen is close by on the other side of the lake but I suspect he still has some sympathy and will not turn you in.
Mike S.

Johnboy

Mike,

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I need refuge. I am not sure about Schen. When I first read his comment I thought wow this could go somewhere. Then presidents, just like teachers, jump in to straighten everybody out.

Pat,

Things have been too serious lately. Yes we do serious work but we can also have some fun along the way. Glad you enjoyed it.

Johnboy

Hannie

Johnboy, you can lay low but you can't hide!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Hannie I may have to pull out that story about the muck machine and the circus animals.

Cute dog! How's his sniffer all the way from Amsterdam? I am good at scratching ears.

Johnboy

gwilson

Lol! I had a busy weekend, and look what's been going on in my absence. Thank all of you for the love and levity--I think both are entirely necessary for this work!
Gloria