• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Greetings from Iowa

Started by gypsy72, October 12, 2009, 11:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsy72

Hi there! i'm from Cedar Rapids and heard about OPR on the radio. I was lucky enough to not be affected by the flood last year, and thought 'hey, i'd love to be able to help restore some people's photos'. Photography has always been an interest of mine, and in the past few years i've worked on restoring my own families old photos and some of my friends families old photos.

I'm glad OPR was accepting more volunteers to help with the restorations!

-Gypsy

Mhayes

Hi Gypsy72 from Kansas! It's great to have you on board and we can always use help. While most of our help comes from restoring, we can always use others skills: helping on copy run, first responders, photographers, and the list goes on.

Hope to see again on the forum. This is great place to get and give help and meet some wonderful people--even those with a warped sense of humor.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Gypsy and another warm welcome from Amsterdam!
Keep an eye out in the weeks to come, there will be more photos in our galleries to pick from.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

gypsy72

thanks for the welcomes! i look forward to getting started! :D

Mhayes

Hi Gypsy,

Both Hannie and I have new photos in our gallery.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

Welcome from Australia Gypsy. Yes we all have wonderful easy photos in our galleries now. Don't listen to the volunteers that tell you we make the photos worse after you choose them. :)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Hi Gypsy and welcome from Ohio. It maybe a little surreal to be restoring photos from you hometown. It is great to have you on board.

Now let me pass along a word of caution. The three ladies who welcomed you before I got involved also are the distributors of the photos. Believe me they will tell you anything to get you to take one of their photos. You might as well hear about the "grunge machine" now rather than experience it first hand. We restorers have a suspicion that they do something to the photos because they most always look worse in high res than in the galleries. Now that I have said this I will probably get a double dose on my next selection.

Anyway Gypsy post often, ask lots of questions, and we are all here to help you fend off the "grunge machine."

Johnboy

Hannie

Gypsy don't listen to any of the malicious gossip that Johnboy is spreading around!  All the photos in our gallery are always of impeccable quality, there are no grunge machines, spot machines nor do we let circus animals trample all over the photos (twice, usually) before we send them out!

Johnboy, take a good look at my avatar and shiver about what may happen!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

gypsy72

*laugh* no worries, i think the grunge just has an easier time hiding in a thumbnail version! hahaha!  i just downloaded my 1st two photos and can't wait to get home to my pen tablet to get started!!   (actually i couldn't wait and i've already started on one, but using a mouse is so much of a pain!! lolz)   

Johnboy

Gypsy and other newbies to the forum, you may not know that Hannie has animals running around her neighborhood. She is good at the muck machine on her own but check this out and you will know where the muck comes from. http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1550.0.html

Now Hannie, I have looked at the new avatar, and I didn't know that the former avatar of the nice blond woman was all a disguise. I also thought you were from the Neitherlands. Are you really saying that you have Scandinavian ancestors or did I miss something in history about your country? As for the shivering, I am not worried since Leaf Erkison only came to North America to settle and not raid. But those animals that help you on the muck machine are a different story. :funny:

Johnboy

Hannie

Yes Johnboy, from the Netherlands but I have a Frisian background.  The Frisians came from what is roughly now southern Scandinavia, Denmark.  Lots of feisty Viking blood here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisians

Once more for all the newbies: there are no muck machines, spot makers.  And definitely no stampeding animals leaving footprints all over the photos in our galleries!

Well have to go now, (more animals to feed and machines to oil)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

gypsy72

Johnboy

Interesting history Hannie. However I didn't notice your name among the Notable Frisians. I would have thought someone with your herding and mechanical talents would certainly be on the list. So given your historical linage I will keep my armor handy the next time I request a photo from your gallery.  :wnw:

Johnboy

glennab

Hi Gypsy

Welcome from Florida. I think it's wonderful that you joined because of our copy run to Cedar Rapids. I'm glad you dodged the bullet, and helping other people who weren't so lucky will be an incredible experience for you.  I'm so glad you joined us.

Oh my goodness, the REAL Hannie is finally revealed.  I knew that sweet-faced woman couldn't possibly be the grunge goddess. The new avatar is perfect!

JB, you're the best for keeping the newbies from being snookered by our demon damsels of destruction.  They truly are incorrigible.

Since I've had another bout of the "Piglet flu" for two weeks, I haven't even been at work to monitor the forum.  It's killing me.  I've backed up my computer, and when I feel human again I'm going to install Leopard and see if the upgrade solves my connection glitch.  If not, I guess I'll just be the phantom Kraken and continue to raise a ruckus on Face Book.  As Iron Man says, "One does what one has to does!"

Hugs to all of you

GK

P.S. It's going down to the 50s over the weekend, and my Florida wuss is talking about chopping some fire wood. Sheesh!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)