• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoPhixUp

I think you did a great job!  I'm waiting for my access to Photo Shelter so I played with it a bit to fix it, colorized it with 40s colors, and rendered it in Oil Portrait.

I don't know how to insert a photo yet on this forum, but I'll shoot you the work in Email if you want.

The right side of his face was the hard part, I copied the left side, fliped the image, and inserted on his right side.  From their all I had to do is adjust the blending.

Great Job!
Jimmy P

Kenny

Thanks. To insert a pic here, just host it (imageshack, photobucket.etc), then use click the little picture at the top of the text box right below the I.

You can email it to me if you want. I think my email is in my profile. If not, it's [email protected]

Thanks

Kenny

ps...your avatar made me grin, lol

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Hey all. I haven't had a chance to work on my newest pic yet. My son got hurt and has a spinal injury :(. He's doing good so far, but he'll probably have to have back surgery. He's 17 :(

Anyway, This one is a real challenge. Any ideas on where to start? I have an idea what to do, but I appreciate any input.

I'm thinking of using the healing tool first to smooth out the skin on the damaged areas, then using the clone tool set on low opacity to add the right color. Then, the healing brush again to restore texture. I've already tried using just the healing brush, but it didn't help the discoloration.

Also, the file size of this image is HUGE! It's 2848 x 4288. The .PSD is 105 MB and my computer is really taking a beating working on it. I know I need more memory, but I can't afford it right now, so I have to make do. What do you think the smallest I could re size it to and it still be high quality?

Thanks for looking...

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny,

I'm so sorry about your son.   How serious is the injury?  Gotta be difficult for someone so young.

If it's any comfort, I fractured my back about 11 years ago, and while I was laid up for a couple of months, I'm able to do anything I want now.  Hurts sometimes, but all I have to do is rest it and I'm great.  I haul 50 lb. cat litter bags, do heavy yard work and move furniture with little problem.

About your new restoration:  I'm wondering if you can do the opposite of what I do when I have a photo that's too light.  That's to duplicate the layer and use one of the lightening layer effects (I'd try them all).  Sometimes it'll take more than one layer, but it might help.  As far as file size, I'm not sure how you could handle that unless you have software that reduces and enlarges images using fractals.  The one we use at work is a Photoshop plug-in called Pixel Smart, and it does a fantastic job.  I don't remember what it cost, though.

I know what you mean about not having enough RAM.  I am experiencing my last week of dealing with that, and I can't wait to get my new Mac.  When I try to create hair with the brush and smudge tool, I'll have to sit here for what seems like forever before I see any results.  Makes me crazy!

I just joined the U.S. Army forum to try to get help with my Master Sergeant's ribbons.  Hope someone responds.  I talked up OPR in my request hoping to stir more interest. (That's a fascinating site, by the way.  I wish I had more time to spend on the forum.)

Anyway, give your son a huge hug for me, and tell him that the best thing he can do is keep his spirits up -- watch funny movies, read funny books and have a positive attitude!  It really works.

Best wishes,

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

Can't give much help on how to work the image, what you are planning sounds OK to me, if somebody comes up with other advice it will be helpful to me also.

Regarding the file size, if my math is right the image is 12+MB, how much you can reduce the file size is going to be limited by the print size of the image - they don't seem to scan to any fixed formula, I have had 7x5s over 5 MB and 11x14 at just on 2 MB.

I struggle with large file sizes with PS CS2  and only 256MB RAM, I find I have to restrict the number of layers, I usually open another layer and carry out restoration of an area or feature, then save the file, then I merge the layer into the working image and carry on to the next step and resave with a new name and so on - it means you have a lot of saved files but it allows you to go back if you have a disaster.

The other thing I do is have a spare parts file, I open a new blank  image the same dimension a the file I'm working and drag layers into it to store for reuse, this I particularly use if I have used an adjustment layer on the layer I am about to merge,I drag the layer and its adjustment layer in to the store file, I can then recover the adjustments if I foul up.

I found that having a lot of adjustment layers open in the image caused a lot of colour cast problems when the file size is large and PS is short of memory.
I hope you can understand these ramblings, not sure I can! hope it helps you in some way, I know that one of these days when I can afford it I'm going to upgrade my RAM.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Kenny

Thanks, Glennab  :).  He can walk, but he has a herniated disk between L4 and L5 and it's causing him a lot of pain. He goes to the neurosurgeon monday and there's the possibility it might be taken care of without surgery. He's a total jock, weightlifting team, wrestling, track, etc. He's already come to terms with the fact he can no longer play sports. He has a good positive outlook and he says he can support the team in other ways. I'm really proud of his courage.

I've experimented with layers using different settings, but I either end up with making the damage darker, or the image ends up so light you can hardly see it. So, no easy way out on this one!  :funny:

I think I'll reduce the size just a little to make it more manageble. I have 512 mb of ram, but with the working file size at over 100 mb, it's killing me.

Thanks, Aussiemax and Glennab :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

I did a quick test and I think I'm going to do what I had in mind originally. This is just a fast test, but I think It'll work:

Question,  though. I'm laughing as I type this, but hey....you have to find the humor in this sometimes. Anyway, my question is about the baby's nipples. You can't see them in the original because of the damage. Do I paint them in or what?  :funny:

I mean, I don't want someone looking at the picture and saying "hey, where's the kid's nipples?". The bellybutton....eh, I think it looks like it's probably below the diaper line. I don't know whether he's an innie or an outie anyway. But the nipple thing...any suggestions? :p

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Kenny

Sorry my suggestion didn't work, but what you've done so far looks great.  You have a very valid issue with the baby's nipples and navel.  That may be a decision for admin.  What a challenge!

Your son sounds like one heck of a great guy.  I know I miss mine.  He lives just far enough away that with our busy lives we don't see each other much.  When he was a teenager, we joined a little sailing club and raced sailboats for a few years.  I wanted to keep him busy and away from trouble and drugs, and we had a blast.  I hope you're enjoying your guy as much as I did mine. -- and still do when we can get together.  Time gets away from you.  My "baby" is going to be 38 in December.  And I'm only 30. (in my mind!)

Have a wonderful weekend!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Ugh, this one is really frustrating. I've made all the big corrections, but as they say, "The devil is in the details".
I've tried various things to put the detail back in his hands and feet. I feel confident in being able to shade the rest of him to look natural, but the hands and feet are giving me problems. I'm working with a mouse and it's so hard for me to make it look natural with it. I even tried making a brush using the patterns in his feet, but it also picked up the damage, so I wasn't able to be successful with it. When I get frustrated I've found it's best to walk away for a bit. That's what I'm going to have to do with this one for today. Maybe it will all go smoothly tomorrow.

As always, criticism is appreciated :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

I hesitate to suggest this only because I'm not sure how to use channels to full advantage yet, but when you look at each of the channels is there one that has more detail than the others?  Maybe you could use that one to define the feet and hands.

I know what you mean about having to walk away from the restoration for a while.  I'm dealing with a lot of frustration with my current one -- the Army Master Sergeant.  It's starting to come together, and I think most of it looks good, but there are some details that I can't seem to get just right.  Consequently I keep adding layers to try new things -- I now have a 161 MB file.

Hopefully I'll be able to post it soon, as I'm going to need some fresh eyes!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Hi Kenny

I was going through the new posts and found this from havril (Harvey).  I hope he doesn't mind my pulling the quote, but it might help you:

Open Channel pallette in windows tab. Using levels balance each colour in turn to enhance details. Select blue channel again and go into image> apply image with blue in source channel and multiply in blending at 30% opacity click OK.In main picture using quick mask select girl and save selection inverse and save selection as background. Using curves go between the two  saved selection to sharpen details.

This might be of value.  I know I'm going to keep it in mind, since I'm terribly channel-challenged.

Have a great day!

GG

P.S.  I thought I'd add that Harvey's suggestions is in "So what's the rules when..." in Difficult -- just to give you the perspective of the discussion.

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Glennab,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'l give it a try!  :)

But why is the rum gone?

Dave

Slasher,

I apologize for coming into this late, but please don't resize the image. There is a method to our madness. First we don't scan the damaged originals. We photograph them on copystands with pro-level digital cameras using raw file formats.

The reason that we do this is so that we can reproduce the best print possible. We are also returning the same size print. Meaning, if the hurricane victim brings in an 8x10 damaged original she's going to get an 8x10 restoration. Same goes for any size prints. We got quite a few that were twice the size of a 16x20 (which is one of the reasons that we don't scan the damaged originals).

If this image is a large file size, it's because it's meant to be printed in large format.

Thanks.
Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Kenny

I'm stuck on my latest project. Without resizing, it is simply too large for me to work on right now. However, I've ordered a Gigabyte of memory and a GeForce video card which should be here today. This will allow me to easily work on a large image file.

When I said resizing it, I meant just reducing the entire file size. The aspect ratio is left intact. I can easily put it back when I'm finished. It's just makes it a little easier to work on.

Either way, I'll be back in business today so long as UPS doesn't let me down.  ;D

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

I'm stuck. I could blame it on not having a graphics tablet, but the truth of the matter is I can't go any further on my project. As much as I hate to give up, I'm going to have to hand it off. If anyone wants to finish this one, I can send you the .psd of what I have so far.

I'm pretty pleased with the way it's going, but I simply can't get the detail back in his hands and feet and make it look right. I have the .psd file and it's broken down into individual components so it would be easy to fix for the right person with the right tools.

Here's a low res version of where I am:

Any takers?

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?