• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

Hi Kenny,

It's my understanding you color correct first, then do the repairs.  I've tried color corrections after repairs, but sometimes, the  corrections, especially if you are using a blending mode, will show up.  For example, you fix a spot, then color correct, and that spot then becomes obvious, due to the blending mode you used.

Looks like a great family photo, and I wish you the best in restoring it.

Christine

Kenny

Hey everyone. I need some advice. The image I'm working on currently has a severe color problem. I've tried every way I normally try to color correct and it still leaves me with strange tints in different places, depending on what I do.

Right now I'm going through and correcting each different part of the image using a mask. It looks to me like it's starting to come around, but I want some different eyes to look at it and see.

I haven't done anything other than color correction so far, so take that into account. I believe when I get to the repairs I can fine tune any places I've missed in the color correction. Thanks for taking the time to look at what I have so far.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

I think you're on the right track with the color correction. What you've done so far looks great.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

This poor image was in worse shape than I thought. I still had a bluish cast to it that I couldn's adjust out. What I'm trying now is to re-tint the entire image to get rid of it. I'm using the quick mask mode to make my selection and using a new layer set to color with and adjust the opacity until I'm satisfied with it. This is just a rough draft, I still have much, much more work to do:

Does anyone know what that object might be right above the boy's head right next to santa's face? I say it looks like a dove or something, but my wife isn't so sure. Settle our argument, lol.

Thanks for looking

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Peter_AUS

Kenny, it could be a Dover by the shape of it.  Colour correction seems to be in the rightish area as well.
Regards,

Peter

Kenny

I still have to go over it and make the final adjustments on the color, etc, but I want a fresh set of eyes to look at what I've done so far and see what you think. I ended up omitting Santa's hand on the left side of the picture, I just couldn't make it look right and I really didn't have much to work with.

Thanks for looking

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

Except for the color issue, I think your restoration looks fine.  I don't think Santa's hand will be missed.  Didn't look as if there was much of it showing even before the damage.  I can't wait to see the final version and learn how you've dealt with the color. 

Good luck!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I feel like I've been chasing my tail on this one  :D

I'm pretty close to reaching my limits on what I can do on this one. Unless someone has any advice, this is the final version:

I left as much of the original color as I could, but there wasn't much to work with. I used a different layer for each color I replaced. Layer masks are my friend :P

I've tweaked the color and as much as I still see problems, I think it's about as good as I can do. I've intentionally left the colors muted somewhat. I feel like more vibrant colors would make it look too obvious it's been colorized.

I realize they will adjust the final color while printing, so I think it'll turn out ok. If this were a picture of my kids I would be pleased I think. That's what I do with every picture I do. I see my kids, parents, grandparents, etc in every picture. I try to treat them as such.

anyway, again thanks for looking!

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

I'm wondering if you can do any more with the color of their faces?  Santa looks very ghostly to me, and the kids' faces are each a different shade with, I think, just a little more yellow than looks right.  Small things.  The main thing is that you're satisfied with it, and as I mentioned before, the actual restoration is excellent.

Best wishes!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Thanks, Glennab

I look at it today and I think what i'm going to do is desaturate and retint the faces. My wife said the same thing about santa's face. I couldn't really see it last night, but I see it now. We don't want the kids looking Jaundiced :P

Thanks!

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

*Quick question*

Santa's face looks "ghostly"...

what exactly makes it look that way? It's kind of like one of those optical illusions where you have to pick out the darker color but they are actually both the same. His tint is darker than it appears, it's just because it's surrounded by white. Maybe if I gave him a bit of a rosy nose and cheeks, perhaps? That might be adding in too much, though. I'll try it and see how it works. Basically I'm just thinking aloud....errr...typing aloud...you know what I mean :P

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

Yes, I have to agree with you.  Santa's face does look a bit pasty.  It's hard to tell what it looked like in the original.  Perhaps just a very, very slight pinkish coloring, to give his face a little more definition.  You don't want to overdue it, but a little color might help.  Otherwise, I think you've done a nice job on this picture.

Christine

Kenny

Thanks guys, for all the help  :loveit:

I've adjusted the faces best I could. Here is the final version:

It sill has a slight colorized look to it, as well it should. The original color was so damaged my only option was to hand tint large portions of it. This image has been my most challenging yet, not because of the physical damage, but because of the color damage. I hope it's up to standards.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hey Kenny

I think that's a definite improvement.  I can imagine the challenge of getting the colors satisfactory, and for those of us viewing the image on screen the look might be quite different.  I don't like to offer criticism unless I can be specific and, if possible, give a potential solution.  I hope my feedback helped.

I'll expect a return favor when I'm ready to post my next one.  It's so detailed that I'm going crazy trying to figure out the background and re-create what I can without it looking like a painting.  Man o man!

Later!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

I appreciate it. Of course I'll return the favor!

I just want to say that you guys are awesome. I can always count on honest criticism and advice. The high res version of this looks much more natural.

I know I can always count on you guys and I thank you :wnw:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?