• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Kenny's Workshop (Advice Please)

Started by Kenny, July 02, 2006, 12:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vhansen

Hope I'm not driving you crazy...but as long as you ask I''ll reply.  The hat still doesn't look right. If you look in the original, you can see that the hat is the same brightness and color as his face.  You have it almost blended into the background. It should be brighter, not "soft", and the same color as the band on the front. 

Regarding the ear. It doesn't look that bad, however, it is also too soft, and perhaps too small.  If you look at the original an outline of the outer ear  is there. You should keep that and build around it, especially for size reference.

Kenny

Hmm, ok. I think maybe what I'm doing is giving up on the hat and the ear without trying to build on what is there. I'll start the ear and hat again from scratch and try to just build on them instead of replacing them and trying to make the new stuff "fit in". I really do appreciate the input because that's how I learn. Does the rest of the image look ok?

Thanks,

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

The photo with the ear reworked from what was left of the original:

I still haven't started on the hat yet, I want to get this ear done first.

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

I went ahead and worked on the ear some more and replaced the hat. If you look at the original there is only a vauge outline of the outer brim. The man in the photo is wearing a naval officer's uniform. I studied numerous pictures of naval officer's uniforms and then found a suitible donor image for the outer brim.

I would greatly value some opinions before I upload this.

Thanks,

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Finished! (I hope, lol)

Unless Mike wants it reworked, this is the final version of my restoration:

But why is the rum gone?

Peter_AUS

I think the tie and hat dark areas still need some work done on them.  Just my opinion.  But is definitely much better than what they had.
Regards,

Peter

paula

I think it's fabulous.  Don't touch a thing. :up:

Kenny

Hey everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been working on my restoration like I should. I had surgery last week and I'm just now getting where I can sit comfortably and work.

Anyway, here's my latest. As usual, I welcome advice and/or criticism.

Original:

Current version:

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny --

Sorry to hear you had to have surgery.  Here's hoping you're doing well.

The only thing I'd change on the tall gentleman is that there still appears to be some dark coloration on his trousers.  I'm looking at the light source and don't think it's shadow.  The most noticeable area is right beside his hand with the cigar, and the outer thigh area of the other side.  Otherwise I think he's great.

I agree with Paula - I think your guy in uniform is ready to go home.  He looks fantastic.

Best wishes

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Thanks. I see what you're talking about. After a while of looking at it, my eyes tend to go  :D

I'll probably use the dodge tool to even it out later when I'm feeling up to it.

Thanks a bunch  :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Kenny

Version 2:

I lightened and evened out the areas on his trousers. It looks pretty close to ready to me.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

Definitely much improved.  I honestly can't see anything else that I'd change.  Super job!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Thanks  :)

I'll send it on for Mike's approval.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Ptollemy

Kenny

Here's my newest project:

As you can see, the color is quite damaged. I've been doing mostly black and white restorations and some mildly color damaged color photos. Should I repair the damage first, then color correct?

I've looked at the channels and the blue channel is damaged pretty heavily. I did some quick adjusting to see the result, but the color was still damaged afterwards.

I would appreciate any help in fixing the color on this. I tried the 3 point sample technique and it ended up with a strong blue tint. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks, Kenny

But why is the rum gone?