• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What is This?

Started by Charlene5, September 27, 2007, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlene5

This is Gramps and he's my new photo.  I've just gotten to the adjusting and calming down the bright spots and that's where I give the picture a good look.  In the right background there is some errr stuff.  At first I thought it was pampas grass in a jug or something until I noticed that it drapes itself over the chair headrest.  It's probably damage?  There is a plant next to him and half of it seems to be washed out.   I think that behind the plant is just wood-paneled wall or door and the pampas grass-like damage.  Please look and tell me what you see?  I'm old and don't trust my eyes sometimes :)  Any guesses as to what that thingie is in the background just to the right of the lampshade?

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

Hannie

Charlene, I think your first thought was right, it is a plant.  There are at least 3 different plants in the background.  The one furthest away is either a fatsia or an umbrella plant.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Sorry Hannie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the plant.  The far right leaves belong to a ti plant (or dracaena).  You can see just the slight red of the edges on a couple of the leaves, and they're too long to be an umbrella plant (or at least what I know as an umbrella plant, which is a shefflera).  It's related to the corn plant but with very dark glossy pendulous leaves.  I'm not sure about the one closest to the chair.  It looks as if it could be a peace lily, and above it looks like a wispy fern of some sort. And that could be a grass overlapping the chair.  (If it were my house I'd say it's one of the cats' current "art" projects, as in "shredded chair.")

Charlene, the "thingy" next to the lamp shade is a macramé hanging (probably jute dyed dark green) with a thick piece of varnished dark natural wood for a hanging table and a globe sitting on the table. (I know I'm dating myself, but I made many of those back in the 70s -- for plants, since horticulture is my hobby.)

Hope this helps.

Glenna

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

rockthumper

It's the cat! Jumping off the back of the chair just as the photo was taken...  >:D

Charlene5

I'm not a plant person and I did some faffing around with Grampa's plants.  Is this OK or do I need more detail or something?

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

rockthumper

Tess (Tassie D)

Looks fine to me too. It's just enough to look like plants in the background, any more and they'd draw too much notice.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Charlene

The plants look great.

I just posted in a thread in which RT was looking for Scrutineers and told him we need to add that word to the OPR dictionary.  I love "faffing," so I'd recommend that term be added as well.  What the heck is faffing?

Bless!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

rockthumper

Hey Glenna,I was fairly amazed at Charlene's use of that word too, I thought it was purely a northern English term. Where I originated it means 'aimlessly fiddling', 'stuffing around', pointless activity. Also rendered with other colloquialisms beginning with 'F'.  ;)

Charlene5

OK I confess :)  I may live in Texas but for almost 10 years I worked for a UK-based company.  I worked from home but made the trip to London 3 or 4 times a year.  It was a filthy job but (sigh) someone had to do it :)  The fiction was that I was an ex-pat and I learned to spell, phrase, and write as an English person.  All of my work was done by email so the clients never heard me speak.  It's been two years since I left the job and I've finally stopped spelling English but the vocabulary has become part of me.  I think "faffing" is a wonderful word and I do a lot of it trying to find solutions to the problems some of these pictures pose!

MJ
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells