• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need some help with this one

Started by rockthumper, September 21, 2007, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockthumper

Here is a downsized version of the original

I've run out of ideas now and need some hints how to tackle the damage and what kind of result I should be aiming for.
This, I'm sorry to say, is the current state of the photo:

I have a few questions that come to mind about the picture:
Can anyone tell me a good way to deal with the 'orange peel' textures?
Does anyone have another picture of baby Eiserloh? (Particularly showing an ear or the hair.)
Does anyone know the ethnicity of the family?
Any ideas what to do with the hands?
The eyes are just dark smudges - what should I do with them?
Is that a foot (in a bootee) at bottom right?
What do you think the baby is sitting on, is that a chair back behind?
Do you think that's the edge of a table at bottom right? It doesn't seem to be at the right angle for a chair arm.
I'm guessing I'll just have to paint the top of the head or can any of you extract some information in that area? The original is 2400x3000 but I can post a crop if you want it.

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi RT. Picked a good one didn't you. I can't get a lot more out of it either.
The light curved section above the dark band is the top of the baby's head I think, looks like blonde hair.
Could be a bootee in the front with the bottom of the foot facing the camera.
I think the eyes were fairly dark anyway so maybe just lighten up the corner of the one closest?
I have no idea what he/she is sitting on.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Thanks for the reply Tess. I'm not convinced about the blonde hair, that's what I was hoping it was at first but when I push to get some info out of the channels it doesn't look like anything - even the curve doesn't seem to match up with the rest of the head. :(

Hannie

Hi RT,

This photo has so little information, it is amazing what you have done so far, well done!
It looks like the baby is holding on to his foot.  Not enough info though, you could just clean a little and add some blur/noise.  As I would do with most of the background and the dress of the baby.
The first picture I add is of the Lightness channel, it seems that maybe the ear is a little smaller after all?
The second photo is the Cyan channel, there is a good indication of the top of the baby's head.
You did a good job on the eyes, they are so important.  I wouldn't change them apart from making the edges a tiny bit softer/cleaner.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rockthumper

Thanks Hannie,
That ear is one of the main problems - it's colossal, but also one of the best defined features so unless what is in the photo is the outline of some kind of cap I think I have to accept that is the baby's ear. That's why I'd really like to see another photo.
RT.

Hannie

Maybe the parents bought the ears at the fun shop! 

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]