• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Biloxi Beacon

Started by glennab, August 24, 2007, 11:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi Volunteers,

This is your first missive from Mississippi.  It's the beginning of our second day, and we're pumped.  It's been wonderful meeting the team and working with them.  But best of all is helping the people who've brought in their photos.

We gathered about 1000 images yesterday as well has had many inspiring and uplifting discussions with people who are more gracious and decent than you can imagine.  The general attitude of the folks who have come in is that they're blessed -- no  matter how much they've lost.

A lovely elderly lady came in with a large wrapped photo, approached me, and said "I don't think you can do anything with this, but I thought I'd bring it in."  It was a gorgeous portrait of 2 children -- with minimal damage.  An easy restoration in any of our books.  When I told her we'd have no trouble restoring her photo, she burst into tears.  The photo was a 35-year old portrait of her two children.  We've been close to tears, as have our photo "donors" on a regular basis.  Had a pretty good cry once the day was over.

The stories of loss will tear your heart out, and the optimism of the citizens of Biloxi warm my heart and make me proud.  After two years, many of the photos are still wet, and we're using up bottles of hand sanitizer because of the mold and debris.  Unimaginable unless you're here.

The team hails from all over the country -- California, Virginia, Wisconsin, Florida, Shreveport, LA, and places beyond.

Most of the team are photographers, so we'll have an extensive collections of photos to document the trip.  I'm keeping a journal, so I'm (go figure) the historian.

We had a reporter here yesterday interviewing everyone.  Waiting to see if an article has been published.

The team split up last night to loosen up and chew over the day's intensity.  All I can say is "What happens in Biloxi stays in Biloxi!"

I'm going to sign off, because we started the morning before opening time with a full house.  Whoo hoo!

More news at 11.  Wish you were all here.  This is the most awesome experience imaginable.

Hugs from Biloxi,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Ahem...Glenna.  You forgot to mention Montana!!

Christine

Hannie

Hi Glenna,

Thank you for the touching report of your trip to Biloxi, sounds like quite an experience.  As I read your words, images appeared in my mind that moved me. 
Hope the rest of your stay is wonderful too!
Big hugs for everyone!
(Glenna, you got me really curious with the "what happens in Biloxi...")   :halo:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

I'm glad to hear that all is going well.  1000 pictures in day! Wow.  I guess there should be plenty of work for everyone.  602 members and rising.

cmpentecost

Hi Hannie,

I'm not sure if you ever see advertising for Las Vegas in the area that you live, but Las Vegas advertises that "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".  Glenna's comment is a take on Las Vegas.  It's a humorous comment.  However.....we're still sticking to our "what happens in Biloxi, stays in Biloxi!!!"

Christine

Mhayes

Wow!

I'm impressed with the 1,000 pictures in a day—is this a normal OPR rescue? What great news. It felt like lately everyone was in a holding pattern waiting for the next batch of pictures. Hearing what is going on makes you excited and proud to be a part of OPR.

Keep us posted, or at least the part that can leave Biloxi.   ;)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Chris, thank you for explaining that to me!  Knowing all you said I'm even more curious (worried?)now!  ;D

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

We'll get it out of 'em.............BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Actually they're probably sitting in their hotel rooms at night, knitting, and want us to think they're having a better time than we are. OR they could be carousing till all hours.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

cmpentecost

Hey Kiska,

What color sweater did you want me to knit for you again?  :o)

Chris

kiska

:funny:

Yeah, riiiiiiiight! Ain't gonna hold my breath.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

phischer

They're just trying to make it sound good so we will all go next time. :funny:

klassylady25

Have you learned how to say = Biloxi?  lol

Tess (Tassie D)

It sounds like a wonderful, emotional time for everyone. Can't wait to have you all back with all the photos.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Dave

OMG ... there are so many pictures. We'll be working late tonight.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

sanbie

It does sound like you are all having a wonderful emotionally charged time...and working your butts off to boot!!
It's good to know that you are doing such a wonderful job there and look forward to your return and seeing the pictures...
I do hope you are getting little bits of information from the people and taking notes of what is actually in the photographs...PLEASE!!

Keep up the good work

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1