• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What do you think?

Started by sanbie, August 08, 2007, 08:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanbie

I can't make out what what most of this is...so I just tidied up...

Can you see something I am missing?

original

What I have done

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

phischer

It looks like in your version, Santa is looking over the little girls head. In the original I think they are making eye contact. You've cleaned up too much of his eyelid. I also think that the "puffball" on Santa's hat should be resting on his shoulder.  It probably blends in a bit with the beard, but that's the way I see it.  Nice start though. :up:

glennab

Hi Sanbie

Great start, but I think you might have done a bit too much clean-up, especially on Santa.  You're getting a painted look.  I copied both of your images and put the original on top of your restoration, then brought down the opacity a bit, and the grain and more natural look came back.  Kenny has a great sandwich technique that might work here, but I can't remember exactly how he did it.  Dread Pirate, are you out there????  A combination of the two images would be the ticket, I think.  I'm not sure I'd do much to Santa's face.  I love the ethereal look of the original.

Phil, I agree about Santa's eye contact with the little girl (part of the appeal of the photo!), and it appears to me as if you're also spot on about where Santa's hat puff is.

Cheers

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

I'll second phischer's comments, and add that the areas where cloning/painting has been done are looking a little flat.

Good progress!

Kurt

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job so far Sanbie, she's a little cutie.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

:funny: I am starting again!! bearing in mind all the suggestions... That one didn't 'look' right and you all just confirmed that for me..so before carrying on...I am starting again!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

sanbie

Is this getting better? Also what is that at the top?

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Good morning,Sanbie

The restart was well worth it.  The second iteration looks great.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I look at the big object in the back is a very large package  I see what could be ribbon on the lower right, and I wonder if the items coming from under it are the ends of large bows.  That's only a wild guess, because there's nothing really identifiable, but it seems the most logical item to accompany Santa.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Your second one is much better. Truly, using all the suggestions and your skills is definitely working!! 

phischer

The eyes look better, but I still think the puff ball looks more like this.

As far as that big thing in the background. My first instinct coincides with what Glenna said regarding a big ribbon.  The ribbon's tails are clearly visible, but I do not see any other indication of a bow or package.  Might I suggest that the rectangular square is all damage; perhaps from another picture that may have stuck to this one. Or it could not be damage and it could be a big decoration; a 2D package that the snowman/santa/doll thing in the background is holding up.

Lorraine

Hi Sanbie,

You've done a great job so far.

Just to add more confusion, I can definitely see a bow in the photo and what appears to be the outline of a couch.

I've done a little bit of clearing out some of the damaged area on the wall and came up with this.  The item with the bow could possibly be a wreath or some kind of wall decoration.

Lorraine

Tess (Tassie D)

It's coming along beautifully Sanbie. I think it's a bow up top too, either on a wreath or a large box.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Mmmm I don't know about this...I think I will send it home and they can decide...I think the top half should be cropped...
I do know I am no good at doing bows!! :funny:

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

:up:  Beautiful Sanbie. Such an expression of wonder on her face. :)
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Thanks Tess..and I do think she is the most important part of the photo...So I am now sending this home!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1