• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Recommendations on widescreen LCD monitor...

Started by John, August 02, 2007, 09:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Well, I'm in the market for a new LCD panel and wanted to ask everyone here what they are using and if there is any exceptional values per feature out there.

Things I'm interested are:

1.  Ability to rotate to portrait mode.
2. Ability to calibrate
3.  Image quality

Not necessarily in that order.

So far I'm looking at some HP's and Samsung's, but am not sure which way to go.

Any suggestions?

sanbie

Am looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks here..I will eventually get a new screen..so knowing the best to get will be great!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Tess (Tassie D)

I don't use a widescreen as too many friends couldnt get used to it and their comments put me off a bit.
I only have an LG Flatron L1510S. It's only a 15 inch but perfect for what I do. Never had any trouble callibrating it. The choices of lighting were great as I dont like an overbright screen. The quality of graphics is great and the price was very reasonable. I can spend 4-6 hours straight and it doesnt worry my eyes.
I've had it 2 years now and would never go back to CRT.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

John, I looked in my Consumer Reports annual and couldn't find any helpful information.  I wonder if NAPP or  MacWorld would have product reviews that might help you make a decision.  I love my Apple 20" LCD, but I have no idea how sophisticated they are as they get larger.  Good luck in your research!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

John

Well, I've heard good things about the HP 2207.  Relatively cheap in the 22" category and has the rotation feature that I want.  I actually like that it has the glossy glass, too, vs. the matte finish on most LCD's.  It has a good stand also.  So I'm probably going to pick this puppy up in the next week or two.  Just trying to find a deal on it.

glennab

John, try PC Mall.  I got my new computer, monitor and software by telling my rep that I do volunteer work.  I was hoping to get some freebies, and didn't, but they did make me a good deal.  In fact, I'd try all the catalog companies that sell hardware -- and maybe even Best Buy or one of the other "box" stores (My contention is that all they can do is say no.  It's worth it to ask.  That's what grapes are for!)

If you belong to NAPP, you can get discounts through them as well.  PC Mall has a special discount for NAPP members, and NAPP's web site has a list of special offers to members (i.e. OPR membership!).

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

John

Quote from: phischer on August 03, 2007, 12:07:44 AM
How about the Wacom Cintiq 21x?
http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

Very nice.  I do have Photoshop taste yet suffer from GIMP pockets.  $2499.. oof!

Totally cool, however.  Have you ever used one?

schen

I still can't get used to LCD monitor.  I know with a good one you can calibrate it better than a CRT but I don't know how to handle the luminosity and color change when I change the viewing angle.  Or I should say, I don't know how not to change my viewing angle.  It is worse now that I use a laptop.  When I open the display, how do I park it at the tilt angle every time?
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Hannie

I'm really happy with my 19" Samsung 970P.  It has the best colors of any lcd monitor I have seen so far.  The colors were true straight from the box.  Great for graphics.
There are 2 drawbacks to this monitor: the software stinks (I don't use it) and the adjustable stand wears out after about a year... 
Despite the shortcomings I definitely would not want another monitor at present, I am hoping that Samsung will do s.t. about the problems by the time I need a new one.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

Quote from: John on August 03, 2007, 12:13:24 AM
Quote from: phischer on August 03, 2007, 12:07:44 AM
How about the Wacom Cintiq 21x?
http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

Very nice.  I do have Photoshop taste yet suffer from GIMP pockets.  $2499.. oof!

Totally cool, however.  Have you ever used one?

We've got a couple of them at work.  I work in an art studio where we do a lot of storyboard and animatic art for advertising.  They have totally revolutionized the way that we work. Really cool.

cmpentecost

I'm using a Sony monitor, flat panel, 21".  It doesn't rotate, but's a pretty cool one John posted.  I love my monitor.  I've had it for several years now, and is easy to calibrate, using Spyder Pro.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  This is a monitor recommended by Tim Grey (www.TimGrey.com).  Tim Grey works for Microsoft and has written several books on Photoshop.

Christine

pcraft

Hi John...  Here's a link to the monitor I've been using for the last year.
Not sure what the price is like now, but when I purchased it, it was a great deal...

http://peripherals.about.com/od/displaysmonitors/fr/gatewayfpd2185w.htm