• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

How am I doing..

Started by phischer, July 30, 2007, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phischer

Here's a new one I'm working on? Anyone spot anything I should fix before I proceed any further?  I'm also confused because it seems as if this child is sitting on a reflective surface of some sort. His right leg is casting a reflection onto whatever he is sitting on.  I'm not familiar with any portrait photographs with reflective surfaces for the children to sit on.  Can anyone explain this to me?
Here's the original:

Here's my work in progress:

Kenny

Your work looks great so far. Those splotches are horrible to work with!

I'm not sure what kind of surface the baby is sitting on. I agree it looks like a reflection, though. When I come across something I'm not sure what is, I usually don't spend a whole lot of time on it unless I'm absolutely certain what was there. You can just clean it up and leave it at that. Kind of hint at what's there without really showing detail. The owners will remember how it was and all will be well.

That's my 2 cents anyway  ;)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Tess (Tassie D)

Great job so far. It's almost like the baby is sitting on glass? Those splotches are so close together, a mess thats for sure.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi phisher

I'm going to throw my oddball perception into the mix.  Could the area that looks like a reflection actually be the corner of a cushion or the seat of a chair on which the baby is sitting?  I can't discern what all the interesting shapes are at the lower right, but if you can make any of that out, it might relate to the mysterious "reflection."  I can't think of a thing on which a person would be sitting for a portrait that would reflect to that degree.

As for your restoration, I think you've got a great start.  Quite a challenge on which you're working!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Quote from: glennab on July 30, 2007, 07:40:05 PM
Hi phisher

I'm going to throw my oddball perception into the mix.  Could the area that looks like a reflection actually be the corner of a cushion or the seat of a chair on which the baby is sitting?  I can't discern what all the interesting shapes are at the lower right, but if you can make any of that out, it might relate to the mysterious "reflection."  I can't think of a thing on which a person would be sitting for a portrait that would reflect to that degree.

As for your restoration, I think you've got a great start.  Quite a challenge on which you're working!

Glenna

I agree with the cushion. To me it looks like one of those antique chairs, sort of like this:

Not necessarily the back, but a similar bottom cushion shape.

However, my wife says I'm seeing things and the baby is clearly sitting on a table of some sort, so who knows? ;)

It'll work itself out, they always do. Keep up the good work you've started and it'll be fine.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

phischer

Hmmm...I just had it in my head that it was a reflection. Now you've got me considering other possibilities.  He could be sitting on some sort of Ottoman or something. Of course there's that piece of tape messing things up on the other side.  One thing I'm thinking is that it looks like this kid might not have any clothes on. (?) If that's the case, would he be sitting bare on a cushion?  Then again would he be sitting on a mirror or glass table or soemthing?  I know portrait photographers used to go to their client's home to take photos, so I guess it could be anything.  I'll have to think about this for a bit.
Thanks for your help, everyone.

Kenny,
I tried to look at your video tutorial for the "sandwich" technique, but it was no longer available. Someone had suggested it to me for my last restoration.  Any chance you could re-post it? Or give a little explanation of what it is? Thanks again.

Ziaphra

Nope, I'm with those that say he is sitting on something reflective. ;) Good job so far!

kstruve

I also vote for the reflective surface theory.  Looks like a shiny wood surface like a tabletop or something.

Kurt

Tess (Tassie D)

My grandparents used to have a beautiful dark mahogany dining table with a glass overlay on top. It was quite reflective and this picture reminds me very much of that.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

Ok here's where I'm at..almost there. I know the hands are not right. Can anyone figure out how these hands should be positioned? Thanks all.
Work in progress:

Original Hands Closeup

phischer

Also, I do know that there is still a bunch of cleaning up left to do on this too.

kstruve

It's looking really good!  Yeah, the hands could use some work.  I might just defer to the original and remove some of the blotchyness in them instead of repainting them from scratch.  Also, if by "bunch of cleaning up" you mean removing the graininess of the photo, I wouldn't do much cleaning up.  Overall, I think it's maintaining it's photographic quality very nicely, and I'd hate to see it overworked and lose that.  Just my $.02.

Kurt

Tess (Tassie D)

I see the hands as loose fists with thumbs on top?

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

I was seeing something like that too at one point.  I can't see a pinky on his right hand. Is it hidden underneath? I also realized my error with the thumb on the left hand.

Tess (Tassie D)

Yeah I think the pinky on the right hand is hidden. The left thumb appears to be straight at the camera almost. Thats why there isn't the nail to see.
Great job on it. It must be a real bear with all those spots so close.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]