• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some good eyes needed

Started by sanbie, July 29, 2007, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi Sanbie

I can't see your image, but I can tell you with certainty that OPR's guidelines don't allow us to put anything in the image that wasn't already there.  If you end up with a kaleidescope background, so be it.  Anything else would compromise the restoration.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Glenna, his picture really has a kaleidescope background.  :o)  Having said that Sanbie, I second what was said about not adding additional information.  Hard to do, I know!  But it's been explained to the owners so they are aware of the guidelines that we have.  You've done wonders pulling this little boy back to life!  Hugs to you  :hug:  Candice

sanbie

I havent added anything to the picture...I always said santa was there...so I went with what I found...actually I have done nothing with the santa eyes as that was what was in the image I just went around those...

When I smudged all the background in that the colour it went..

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ziaphra

I'm afraid I don't see any santa. I'm thinking it is a studio portrait. Perhaps send in two options...the original and a closer crop in to the face...?

OPRAng

Glenna and Candy are right on the money. For all we know the background is poorly dressed old lady. If we put a beard on her she may cry. The kaleidoscope approach (great description by the way) will work more to preserve the memory instead of accidentally changing it. It feels very strange to finish a photo with damage, but that is exactly what we prefer. The family will never forget Katrina, let's not pretend it never happened by rewriting history. This is a family's history, let's not leave any room to accidentally misquote it.

Does that make sense? I know it feels weird. Let us know if you have any questions.
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

sanbie

Makes it hard that none of you see santa..I still do...but never mind...

Ok then please I need help..what can I do to finish this then?

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Hannie

Sanbie, you could make two versions: one with the cleaned up background and a vignette (like you made before) and one with only the baby restored and the background as it is and let the family decide?

I really think that for photos as bad as this one the rules about modifying the background should be adjusted, but that is a completely different topic!   :)

You are doing a great job Sanbie, I'm sure you will figure it out, good luck!  :up:
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

rjackl

You have done such a beautiful job and everyone sees something so different, I agree with Hannie that this is a perfect time to submit a version with a vignette. I personally see the red as the sleeves and a hand.  I have to leave this morning to visit my Dad but I did a mean and nasty version which leaves your work. I put a little skin colored blob where I think the hand is in the original and shaved a little off the top right of his head. I hope it is okay to add my two cents to your very hard work. Ruth

sanbie

I saw by the name of the picture this is number 3 of 5...have the rest gone back or is there some for reference?

rjackl I am not allowed to do that ..thats why I am asking what I am allowed to do and what I am not with it...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Sanbie, I know I'm being redundant and repititious -- and I'm repeating myself, but I'd clone closely around the areas of color and see what comes into focus.  It might just be intersting colors and patterns, or it's possible that something identifiable will appear.  There are so many odd shapes, and I feel as if I can ALMOST make something out, then it's gone.  I think it's worth a try.

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

But thats what I did and I got santa...I think I may send this one back for someone more qualified than me to try...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

Hi Sanbie,

I think you are a hero for even trying this one, I took one look at it and said "No way Jose" there was just nothing to restore only part of a face, and children are hard to do, because their parents always remember what they looked like, and are more likely to be disappointed with the result.

Accept it as a good learning exercise and move on to something a little less ambitious.I have had to return several and it is always disappointing and a blow to the old ego, but on so many of these we are fighting well above our weight division.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

beckysell

Hi there,

I think you're a real hero for giving this one such a good go! 
You really have done good work on it.  On the face area, above the top lip, he may need a bit of slight slight shading right under the nose area (like where we all have that little dimple to our top lip.  I know there's actually a word for it, but can't think of it) and perhaps the lip come up a TINY bit. I haven't tried it, but it may look better the way you had it.  You really have done an amazing job on the face. 
When it comes to the background, you're giving it a great go.  If you send it back, send back a few versions.  That way we can still use all of your good and hard work.  When it comes to what to do with a photo that has parts of it this far gone, sometimes, as painful as it can be, we do our best to hide the damage and rebuild what we can and then send it home.  We promise we'll try, they are so happy that someone is trying, and you have fulfilled both of those FULLY and you are saving this photo. 
In my humble opinion, the version with the jacket rebuilt may be the best.  We are asking that photos are not be given a vignette, but send us back the best you got.

Thanks for everything you are doing, and I hope you are finding time to blink (that is my worst problem when working!).
Becky

glennab

Becky, it's so great to have you back and posting again.  Expert  eyes are the best, and you've got 'em!

Sanbie, I agree with Becky that you deserve a medal for even grabbing this one and trying so many different angles and techniques in an effort to give back the best restoration you can.  And taking everyone's totally diverse views with such aplomb!

I've had to return one of my bears because of an area that I couldn't get right, and I may have to send back my lovely lady without finishing her, because I can't get her face correct.  Haven't given up yet, but one more try is about all the time I feel I can take.  We all have different skills -- you did a wonderful job on this baby's face, and faces give me fits if there's information missing.  That's why I love the forum.  Everyone jumps in with their feedback and confuses the crap out of you (kidding) -- I find the new perspectives make me look at my project in a completely different way, and most of the time it all falls into place.

You're the best for hanging in there.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

sanbie

Oh yeah I agree..every time I got some advice I went and tried it...if it didn't fall into place (so to speak) then I didn't do it...But I love the advice everyone gives...I was just getting so frustrated with this one as everytime I seemed to find something no one else could!!
What I am going to do is the 2 versions of the mouth..one open ( as I have the program poser and I make tubes. So eventually I went into poser and made a young toddler and there was no way I could shape his mouth closed with those cheek smiles to see lips..they always disappeared...So I did one with the mouth open and it all seemed to fit this fellows shape...Thats why I went with the open mouth)
I will just do his face and jacket both styles and then send it back...everyone else can then decide what to do from it!! :funny: :funny:

Thank you everyone for your help on this one though..I have appreciated all your inputs.

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1