• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some good eyes needed

Started by sanbie, July 29, 2007, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanbie

Ok I am a bit stuck here as I am not sure if the smile is just on one side of his face or going right across...when I flip the good part of his mouth over it makes his mouth look funny- pic2( realise please it's not all done!) So I have put one in with the mouth not flipped so you can see the difference...

Also I think he may be sitting with Santa...or is it just water damage?

The original

With the mouth semi done and a santa quickly smudged?

AND with only one side of the mouth done and no Santa?

So what do you reckon?

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Hi Sanbie

You asked for good eyes -- I hope mine will do for the moment.  Here are my observations:

I wasn't able to pull up any hidden information behind the awful damage, but upon studying what I can see, he appears to have a strap of some kind across his lap and is gripping it.  The background on the upper right is draped material.  I don't see any evidence of a Santa, but so much of the detail is obliterated I can't even guess what's actually in the background.  There's something behind him that appears to be a seat of some sort (that may be the item to which the strap is attached).

I couldn't begin to tell you how to bring up the missing part of his face.  I think what you've done so far looks somewhat off-balance, but with no detail to follow I don't know how you can make it look more natural.  We need to get one of our art experts on this one.

Good luck!  This is nearly "mission impossible."

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

You got a doozy there Sanbie. I can't figure anything out on the background. I had a play with the mouth though, mirrored and picked the rotation.
Good luck with it.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Sanbie,

That's a hard one, you are so brave!
Maybe it can help make the mouth looking "less funny" to select a little less of the mouth (no cheek), flip it, turn it slightly CC and work on the cheek after.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Thank you for all the help so far...Hannie that lip looks great though it's when you put the other cheek there it goes sour!! For some reason it goes all horsey..for want of a better word...

I still think he may be sitting on Santa's lap though...

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

LSC

Sanbie

I think you might be right about Santa although there may not be enough info to build him but I think I see his mittens.  I think also that the partial smile is a good way to go. As for the cheek, what if you copied and inverted the other cheek and then used transform/warp to change the angle and made it slightly narrower? -- Lee

Lorraine

Hi Sanbie,

Thought I'd add my try at this. 

First I tried to eliminate the facial damage by making selections of the damaged areas, feathered at 8, and setting those to multiply blend mode.  This gave me some idea of what the face looks like.   

I selected the right side of the mouth, again feathering the selection.  Copied and flipped horizontal then rotated the selection to fit.  The feathering obviously softens the detail of the mouth line and gives a hint of what you can only guess is there.  Did the same thing with the cheek. 
Hope this is of some help.

Lorraine

sanbie

Ok I started again...do you think this one better????

Thank you so much everyone for all your help..it's surprising what others can discover that you can miss!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

kiska

Sanbie, it might help if you pull a guide out from the left to his left corner of the mouth. Here's a quickie.

http://upload.pbase.com/image/83084882

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

sanbie

Ok I have taken everything in and now have this...

Now what I want to know is...how do you all think the bottom lip goes?

Oh forgot to put..Lorraine I use paint shop pro and I don't know how to do what you suggested?

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

glennab

Hi Sanbie -- I used my defective eyes and a little playing around with your image to get this:

The fuller I made the bottom lip, the more natural it looked, but I couldn't begin to tell you that this is correct. Just my version of how the mouth could look.  What a bear!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Thats looking great now. :up: I don't envy you trying to figure out the background.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Because the red from the lip was going down so far...I did it like this...what do think???

paintshop pro X1

Lorraine

Hi Sanbie,

You're doing an amazing job with this. 

I think that his lower lip is much thinner than you're making it.  Glenna's version of the mouth looks more natural to me.  I believe that the vague outline below what you can see of his mouth is really the contour of his chin.

Something like this:

Sorry for not speaking PSP :)

Lorraine

sanbie

I think I am about to return this and say find someone else more quailified to do it...the more I try the worse it seems to become!!

I have done these tell me what you think...

I took out all the background as I figured the damaged was just too much to ascertain what exactly it was...But I do think he is sitting on Santa's lap hence the weird shape of his arm as that is resting against Santa!

As I said I am seriously thinking of sending this back!!

mouth closed..

mouth open...

coloured mouth closed...

coloured mouth open...
paintshop pro X1