• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young Man

Started by G3User, May 26, 2020, 12:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

I think I have made all the mistakes I could on this one and it is still very much a WIP Vsn 6.
Still to complete his suit, I let myself get sidetracked into suit texture early on and I need to complete that and shading.
Any ideas about what look to be objects on and below his left front, they have shadows that make some look like real objects.
Be kind please :(
Athol

Candice

He's a toughy.  Still I just had to play.... I didn't mess with a lot of the shading yet, but worked on his face.

Candice

philbach

Hi.  I did not see any objects.  Just a fyi. 🤓
phil

G3User

Thanks Candice, you certainly did a much better job on his mouth and adding the second catch light was a good catch

Phil, I have marked the items in the attached. He is wearing a single breasted suit and the button well away from the objects. They have consistent shadows so may have been rubbish on the print when it was copied.

Off to friends for lunch for the first time in many weeks. 8)
Athol

Mhayes

Wow Athol, you know how to pick em. Nice job so far, but the one thing that gets my attention on both yours and Candy's is his mouth. I couldn't figure out if it looked wide or the wrong angle. I think he is got giving a full smile and on your right it is turned up. The other thing is when he smiles you will see the shadow of the folds around his mouth. I played around just trying to get his mouth like I thought it should be. Forget about doing much else other than some facial restoring.

One thing I also noticed and you can tell it was a professional portrait and I can't think of the name of flash used, but you will notice he has two catch light in his pupils.That is a given with that flash.

P.S. Enjoy your time with friends as it is so great right now.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well Thanks for pointing out the artifacts, Athol.  I just can't accept that they would be buttons on the original and would treat them as artifacts. 
phil

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

QuoteI just can't accept that they would be buttons on the original and would treat them as artifacts.   
And why is that Phil? I called Sandra, the owner's daughter, and sent her this photo and one from the Civil War (see buttons below). She said the photos were stuck together, although she couldn't say that the Civil War one was. If you will look at the top button at the very top by his tie and enlarge--I see a star similar to the Civil War one. The only other option would be a double breasted suit, but then the those buttons would not be there. Whatever these are, the owner said to remove.

On copy runs we see a lot of photos that were stuck together and some come in still stuck. On occasions we have advised people to take them home and soak them until they come apart easily. A few times when we have a sink to use, we have soaked them and then laid them out on a towel to dry. Sometimes those photos will have some in the center that are in really good conditions. Others have parts of another photo on them which would explain why something that was not on the original, now is.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well I thought that the buttons on the persons left side encircled in yellow and labeled damage were probably artifacts. 
phil

Mhayes

And turn out they were.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Folks,
I have treated them as damage so they are gone and I have added the catch light Margie.

Now I am standing in  front of a mirror in the bathroom wearing a suit coat, adopting a nonchalant pose leaning on the basin to get some idea of authentic fabric folds.
What we artists do for our art.

To quote Arnie, "I will be back"
Athol

G3User

Getting nearer I hope.
This is one of those that when you get up in the morning with a plan to attack a particular feature something else distracts you into wasting time.
Keep well
Athol

Mhayes

Athol, I think you have done a great job. This is picky but if you switch between the damaged photo and your restore, it looks like on yours he is looking over your left shoulder, but on the original he is looking straight at you. I like how you have done the shading on his face and his suit.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Sigh.
It might be due to the shape of his right eyelids, the irises are the same size and position.
We have an annual art competition here, a couple of years ago there was a much larger than life portrait of a well know actress who has the most expressive eyes. The artist captured her eyes exactly, might have to see if he is available for a small job.
Post again shortly
A

Mhayes

Athol,

I fear I have pushed you over the edge and know I say: Don't sweat the eyes as the photo is so MUCH improved. Take a deep breath and say to yourself: The Fool woman doesn't know when to stop!  I think being in isolation has upped my game as far as nit-picking.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]