• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Lifted Emulsion missing details

Started by andrewturner1983, April 21, 2020, 08:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewturner1983

Hi all hope you are well. I was looking for some opinions on this picture.  I have managed to reduce the wrinkled emulsion artefacts but have not smoothed them out completely as this has tended to make the picture very flat and looking very bad.  Though if you have any ideas on how to remove them further I would be interested.  So far I have used a combination of camera raw to reduce luminosity noise and colour noise.  I have used a combination of blur and subtract and divide blend modes to try and map areas of damage and then use curves to adjust hsl values.  In addition I have used the dust and scratch filter on the image and as a fully smoothed image and used an mask to hide and reveal as was appropriate to preserve detail.  Did try frequency separation but didn't seem to be able to pull that off.  Some hand painting in certain areas has also been used.  Did try using the clone and healing tools however this again caused a really undefined image so used them sparingly.

Was also wondering if anyone had any ideas about what is happening in the missing section.  It seems to be maybe a blanket over crossed legs but I honestly can not seem to tell. 

Any ideas would be welcome.

philbach

Wow you selected a tough one.   You may need to paint this photo in several places.   I believe the child does have a blanket on his lap and there is a bird motif on the blanket. 

phil

Mhayes

I'm wondering if this could be a skirt? Great start and you are very brave.  ;)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

kiska

WILD guess! Maybe he has on blue pants with a plush toy across his left leg??????

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Shadow

Oh wow Phil! Am thinking whatever you do will make the family happy. Good luck!!

philbach

Shadow, my friend, I am happily sitting on the sidelines with this one.  Andrew is the MAN!
phil

Shadow

Poor Andrew! Guess I should pour another cup of coffee.  :funny: 
Andrew, GOOD LUCK!! Look forward to seeing the magic you work with this challenge.  :)

andrewturner1983

Hi All,
Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement.  Here are my two attempts at options from the suggestions.  Though I cant see how I can incorporate the coloured blob I thought maybe blanket but there seems to be a shadow under it.  it could be a toy but I cant define it as a toy at all.  Part of me wishes I could just erase it.  However that seems wrong as it could be important to the picture.

Please see what you think. 

coopmj

I have no suggestions but I just wanted to say I think you've done a great job with this.  When I saw this photo in the gallery I thought it was an old woman--haha!  Fine work!  :up: