• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Beaumont Tx copyrun

Started by Mhayes, September 24, 2019, 01:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Here is the latest from the Weather Channel: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2019-09-22-tropical-storm-karen-forecast-caribbean-puerto-rico

I would like very much for us to help Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, or any others hit by the recent hurricanes and flooding. I realize that we are a small non profit and limited in resources, but right now we need photos to restore. Past this on and if anyone would like to contact us, here is the email: [email protected]
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I have posted this to a couple places.  Hope you get a response.
Candice

Tori803

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks Candy, and you're welcome Tori. I'm hoping that soon we will be able to help and have those photos to restore.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Stayed tuned for news of a future copy run. No, it is not the Bahamas or Puerto Rico.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Mhayes

The next copy run will be in Beaumont, TX and the date has not been set in stone, but looking at Nov 22-23. Anyone that could come and help, give me a shout at [email protected]
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

vic

I suspect this issue has been discussed and probably dismissed. However, I would like to ask if instead of setting up "photo runs" to certain locations, would it be possible for people to send their damaged photos to a specified location(s) where the equipment would already be set-up and people present to review which photos are salvageable.

Right now, OPR's services are available to only a very limited number of people in very specific locations and timeframes because of the limited photo runs (which are limited by resources – time, money, people, etc). And, of course, limited only to certain disasters – all in the US. Yet disasters happen all over the world.

I know a concern would be the possibility of being overwhelmed by the volume of photos, but we don't really know that.

I notice that Marge has expressed a desire to help both Puerto Rico and the Bahamas. This might offer an opportunity to set-up a geographically limited location to try using a mailing system to send photos to OPR. OPR can then review the photos and post those that are restorable and return those that are not.

Obviously, instructions on how to prepare and send photos, disclaimers, etc. can be given to interested people. It might even be helpful to send people pre-addressed mailers for them to use.

I suspect that if people are made aware of OPR's services via social media/newspapers/flyers or whatever means you presently use to advertise the photo-runs, you will get a response.

I think that doing it this way (by mail) may save money and time. Hopefully, it will be more efficient and reach more people. It will also mean that very expensive equipment would not have to be packed and transported to various locations. 

Victor

Mhayes

Hi Victor,

I appreciate your input on how to be more efficient and also save money. We have tried some of your suggestions and it hasn't worked and I'll explain why.

1.  Mike and Pat Sluder set up a room in their house with a dedicated copy stand with the purpose of having photos sent to them. They also had a dedicated post office box for OPR mail. One stipulation was that the person mailing their photos would pay for the postage to us and for the return. We had next to no responses and eventually closed the post office box.
2. While I expressed a desire to help both Puerto Rico and the Bahamas--mailing would be wildly expensive--it was never with the idea of using a mailing system. Instead it would involve people there with the ability to copy photos and upload them to us. We would in return restore and upload them digitally to them. Also, it would be with the idea that there would be a place there to do the printing.
3. OPR has never had cash to spare and the reason I have not sent out a newsletter asking for donation is that we have a donor every year (last 3-4) that sends us a check around a $1,000. Since we haven't done a copy run in 2 years, that plus what was left in the bank allowed us to do this one. There is no way we could afford to send out mailers to people and then mail their photos back.
4. In the beginning the founder Dave Ellis was against accepting mail in orders. One being afraid if they got lost in the mail we would feel responsible. Two, flood damaged photos often come with mold and that is a health hazard. Photos often come in plastic sleeves with water still in them.
5. I agree what we do is expensive and I wish there was a more efficient way to reach more people. I have reached out to FEMA and other non-profits. Appearing in person like we will doing in Beaumont, TX in November is the best way to get publicity both in print, TV, and radio. We use Facebook and when there is a disaster we post our help sheet on how to take care of their photos and encourage people to contact us. We can see those posts are shared, but I'm lucky to get anyone that would contact us back.

Quote"I know a concern would be the possibility of being overwhelmed by the volume of photos, but we don't really know that."

I can tell you what is overwhelming and that is to come back with close to 2,000 photos and a couple 100 more from Houston the same year and not be able to finish them for 2 years. That is overwhelming because while we have a lot of volunteers that restore one photo and on to the next; we have plenty of volunteers that do one photo and are never heard from again.

OPR has applied for grants and we received one in the early years and have gotten a few hundred dollar ones, but we operate solely on donations that come mainly from the volunteers. We do get donations from grateful people that we have helped. As I mentioned earlier, we had a little more this year because of not doing a copy run for 2 years. Our normal budget is around $3,000 +/-. Also, this year we no longer have the free service of Lebris/PhotoShelter. They wanted to discount what would be a $6,000/year to $2,000/year. and we couldn't pay that. After discussing our situation with the VP we will be paying $600/year. Had that not changed we have had to close up. All non profits have to pay from now on. Yes, there is Drop Box and others, but nothing offers what we have with them.

Reaching people that have been hit by disasters has always been a problem, but TV and newspapers want current news and that is why the copy runs do accomplish that. Yes, it is expensive and it is very limited on the help we give. But if we can't handle 2,000 photos in 2 years, then how can we handle an onslaught of more? This current copy run  is only sending 3 people and the rest will be local volunteers. So we are saving money there, but still expensive. I might also mentioned that Hannie paid for our copy stand out of her own pocket.

If we did not have DigMyPics picking up our printing and shipping cost, we would have folded long time ago. We are able to do the downloading to the printer and it is shipped out from there. To take on receiving and shipping out photos, having the copy stand in a dedicated room, then cropping to size and uploading to Lebris/PhotoShelter would be a full time job. But the kicker is it didn't work before and maybe if the airwaves got flooded about our service we would need someone manning the phone and to make sure the photos were from disasters. Plus, what happens when photos are sent to us that can't possibly be restored? That person is really going to be upset.

Since all of us behind the scenes are volunteers and some have full time jobs, we do the best we can. Maybe in the future we will not be cash strapped and things will change for a more efficient way of doing things.

Thanks again for your input and hope this helps you understand our limits.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks so much for the explanation Margie.
❤️Mary

Katreester

Thank you so much Margie for explaining how OPR works and thank you for all your hard work and for caring so much :)

Mhayes

Thank you both for keeping OPR going!  :loveit:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks for the update Margie.

vic

Thank you for your very thorough explanation. I had always wondered how OPR worked behind the scenes. I now understand a bit more about this part of your group. Hopefully, you will be able to keep offering this invaluable service to those who have already suffered incalculable loss.

Mhayes

Thanks Victor, I hope so too. The inner team has stuck with me the whole time and we couldn't have come this far without our volunteers.  Who knows what the future will hold.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]